Petty annoyances on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by Oldjohnw »

De Sisti wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 9:31pm
Psamathe wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 7:51pm But I do sympathise and would add and even worse one, the "Sold by <estate agent name>" signs - which are nothing more than advertising.
Ian
Charge them a daily fee for each day the sign is left at the property after the sale. :idea: :twisted:
We just uplifted the sign outside of ours after a couple of weeks and told the agents we were doing this. I understood the advertising benefits and left it for a short interval. There was nothing in the agent’s Ts and Cs which said they could leave the sign up for any prolonged period. The sign outside the neighbouring property was there for months
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

Oldjohnw wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 1:29am
De Sisti wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 9:31pm
Psamathe wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 7:51pm But I do sympathise and would add and even worse one, the "Sold by <estate agent name>" signs - which are nothing more than advertising.
Ian
Charge them a daily fee for each day the sign is left at the property after the sale. :idea: :twisted:
We just uplifted the sign outside of ours after a couple of weeks and told the agents we were doing this. I understood the advertising benefits and left it for a short interval.
This is exactly why they leave it. The same reason their shop windows are adorned with properties that are sold. You could say that it’s rather stating the bleeding obvious that an estate agent has sold houses but given that those businesses don’t generally engender a feeling of competence and professionalism within the general public I suppose it’s not such a bad idea to show they can do their job as least as well as those behind the next window full of houses you, annoyingly, can’t buy (whilst you are searching high and low for ones that you can)!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Let's take this a bit less seriously.
Might I add single panniers to my hit list?
Even worse, this morning I saw a bike with a single front pannier. :roll:
Did I mention my mates who think they are doing the world a favour by fitting nice mudguards but failing to realise that off the peg mud flaps are useless and need and whopping great extension?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 2:23pm Let's take this a bit less seriously.
Why? On 2-wheels local recreational rides I always have a single pannier. Enough to carry tools, tubes, lock, sweater, thermos, etc..

Ian
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 2:23pm Might I add single panniers to my hit list?
Again, why? Have to admit to have been a single pannier cyclist since 2008 :shock: . A small ortlieb is perfect for all the run of the mill stuff, with plenty of space to expand if shopping on return!
jb

Post by jb »

Psamathe wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 2:56pm
Why? On 2-wheels local recreational rides I always have a single pannier. Enough to carry tools, tubes, lock, sweater, thermos, etc..

Ian
It's aesthetically unpleasing :lol:
Cheers
J Bro
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jb wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 12:28pm
Psamathe wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 2:56pm

Ian
It's aesthetically unpleasing :lol:
But if you saw me out, the single pannier would be the least of the "aesthetically unpleasing".

Ian
jb

Post by jb »

Of course, cycles aren't symmetrical in many ways but somethings are more prominent than others. Then there's the important question of which side is the least offensive to hang the pannier on.
Cheers
J Bro
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

jb wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 12:46pm Of course, cycles aren't symmetrical in many ways but somethings are more prominent than others. Then there's the important question of which side is the least offensive to hang the pannier on.

It's like motorbikes with an exhaust up one side -- looks crap but accepted by the masses -- I don't like it so mine has two exhausts arriving out below the tailpiece.
Much cooler.
I am here. Where are you?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I usually ride with just one Carradice pannier as it's all I normally need, and quicker to put on/take off than a saddlebag. It's usually the large Super C rear, but may be the medium (Universal). I do sometimes ride with two, but hardly ever a matching pair.....I may use a large with a medium, or with the even bigger Shopper. My husband and I share pannier sets so he does the same with the corresponding other halves, though prefers his Bike Bureau to my Shopper.

Sorry! :lol:
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

To balance out the lop-sided pannier discussion, here's a slightly less-petty one: riding on the wrong side of a bike path.

I'm always grumpy when this happens and will hold my ground and say something if they don't move left - on the basis that moving to the right could go wrong if they follow suit. However, a couple of nights ago, I had my first smash into a rider on my side of the path and it was pretty spectacular. Both me and the eBike rider were going at pace.so it happened in an instant and I was already as far left as I could go so I couldn't have avoided it without 20:20 hindsight. Thankfully, I was going mountain biking and was fully togged up, so was unscathed apart from the Christmas scene of swirling lining from my destroyed padded jacket. Without the pads, I'd almost certainly have a smashed elbow and knee right now. When I tried to check the guy was okay, it became apparent he was very new to the UK and being on the left. He was in a mess but after at least 15 minutes checking his condition, offering to call him an ambulance, and straightening his bars for him, he opted to make his own way home, which looked horrifically painful. Nice chap - very apologetic after I'd done my sign language explanation for riding on the left, but I'd put money on him having multiple broken ribs in which case it's going to be a lengthy and painful reminder for him, if that thread in the 'health and fitness' forum is anything to go by.

I suppose the 'petty annoyance' factor here is for the future, i.e. I will now be even more hyper-vigilant and grumpy if people stray a millimetre onto 'my side' of the path.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Not sure anything posted here needs further investigation as to why the poster feels that way, surely they are already admitting they are mainly being petty?

Fat bikes annoy me, I think they look stupid, heavy and cumbersome. Obviously I haven't investigated to find out whether they are or not, I'm just being petty.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Single panniers look awful. :lol:
Weight is all wrong, aerodynamics is appalling :lol: :lol: :lol: Nearly as bad as tucking in only one trouser leg. Might be good on a track. Shove a pannier on the left to drag you that way.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mattsccm wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 1:54pm Single panniers look awful. :lol:
Weight is all wrong....
It's weird as for several years I rode with just left pannier (tools, pump, sweater, big heavy D-lock, long cable lock - so moderately heavy for day rides). Then one day I put the other on to go shopping and shopping heavy and ride home was really weird, well off-balance when it should have been restored to more normal balance. Shows how you can get used to stuff.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Without a single pannier on the left there is nothing to balance all the weight of the drive train on the right. It's a wonder more cyclists are not dragged rightwards into the road.
A pannier on both sides is rather less aerodynamic than a single one.
I once carried an 80 AHr. lead-acid leisure battery home in a pannier. I definitely had to lean the bike away from that side, but I had no trouble riding, and it was easy to direct the bike where I wanted to go.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?