3rd party Insurance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevUK

3rd party Insurance

Post by TrevUK »

Our bicycle club encourage 3rd party insurance cover to all members. If during a group ride an uninsured rider were to cause an accident to an insured rider, what protection does the insured rider have to recover damages, and would an indemnity clause in the clubs riding policy be a way to ensure damages claimed in such a situation?
Grandad

Re: 3rd party Insurance

Post by Grandad »

Insured rider - call him I - has a legal claim against the uninsured one - U. As U has no insurance he must pay I out of his own pocket.

Most clubs have a policy that covers claims against all members whilst taking part in an official club activity. Some (most?) of these policies include member to member liability. In this case it would meet the cost of I's claim against U .

Many household policies include a section providing Third Party cover for people living in the house if an they cause an accident whilst engaging in an everyday activity. This includes cycling , including e-bikes.
PH

Post by PH »

TrevUK wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 10:32pm would an indemnity clause in the clubs riding policy be a way to ensure damages claimed in such a situation?
Very unlikely, you can't sign away your liability.
If it's a concern, I'd suggest the club affiliates to one of the organisations offering cover, like Cycling UK.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s always a good idea to pony up a few quid to become a member of an organisation which covers this sort of situation. Cycling U.K. ( obvs. ) and British Cycling are the most popular options.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Check the small print. Much BC club cover protects the group leader but not everyone. Your own BC insurance will do that better.
slowster

Post by slowster »

TrevUK wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 10:32pm If during a group ride an uninsured rider were to cause an accident to an insured rider, what protection does the insured rider have to recover damages
Firstly, if it is a CUK club and ride, then this is clearly addressed in the CUK insurance FAQs:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default ... 1-2022.pdf
9. I’m a Cycling UK member and go on Cycling UK rides with my local Member Group and/or an affiliated club. If another Cycling UK member knocks me off accidentally and me and my bike are both damaged, where do I stand?

Answer: If the other rider is also a Cycling UK member, then he/she will be covered for your loss/injury up to £10 million.

10. And what if the person who knocks me off is not a member but is still riding with the Group, where do I stand then?

Answer: If the non-Cycling UK member has been ‘invited’ on the ride, which is an officially recognised Cycling UK event, and the number of ‘guest’ riders does not exceed five, then the ‘guest’ is insured as if he/she was a Cycling UK member for that ride so you would be able to claim off them for any damage or injury caused to you.
If it's a British Cycling club, then I think (it's a while since I looked at their cover) they provide much worse cover, e.g. they do not provide member to member liability when CUK does, never mind uninsured guest rider to member cover.

Secondly, some Household Contents insurance policies provide cover for this situation. If the policy has cover for 'unrecovered damages', then the householder (or a member of their family living with them) will receive from the insurance company the amount that was awarded by a court against the uninsured rider.

This effectively provides cover for where if the situation were reversed, the policyholder would be covered by the Public Liability section of the policy for causing injury or damage to another person. The cover is subject to the same restrictions as the Public Liability section, e.g. it does not cover injury or damage 'caused by' motor vehicles.

An example of a typical policy wording is on page 14 of the following link:

https://www.johnlewisfinance.com/conten ... ording.pdf