Leicester to Hinckley route

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
orlalovesherbike

Leicester to Hinckley route

Post by orlalovesherbike »

Hi guys,

I'm looking to cycle from Leicester to Hinckley on boxing day (as I cant' find any public transport!)
has anyone cycled this route? I'm worried it might be too dangerous for me, hidden bends etc?, any tips and advice appreciated, maybe there's a safer route that I haven't found perhaps to avoid the dual carriageway.
Thanks in advance :)
rotavator

Re: Leicester to Hinckley route

Post by rotavator »

I have no idea but I would recommend using Cycle,travel for planning routes on quieter roads.

May be on Boxing Day there would be less traffic than usual?
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

this is a useful planning resource,

https://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=13&l ... yers=B0000

coupled with a look at Google Streetview to check out some of the roads on the map, to see if any look more 'cycle-friendly'?

all the best,

Keith
orlalovesherbike

Post by orlalovesherbike »

Thank you guys, I will look at these resources :)
PH

Post by PH »

Worth looking at the options now, but I wouldn't make any decisions till you see what the weather is going to be like. The obvious route, depending on where in Leicester you're starting, might be the NCN 6 towards Blaby, country roads across to Enderby, then the A47 cycle track, but if there was any possibility of ice, I'd be looking for something that'd seen more traffic or even better been gritted.
millimole

Post by millimole »

It's a route I used to take almost weekly when I worked at Glenfield Hospital and Hinckley Hospital.

The A47 is fine, but boring - go through Earl Shilton rather than the by-pass. The only iffy section is up the hill beyond the Barwell roundabout past the rugby club.

For a more interesting route:
Get up to Desford (depending on where you're starting in Leicester) then there's a 'green lane that runs from Desford to Peckelton then go through Peckleton, Kirby Mallory and Barwell.
There is a back route into Hinckley from Barwell by going down Barwell Lane turning by the Red Lion on Mill Street., this goes under the A47 as a cycle route.
(I dislike riding through Barwell, but that's personal prejudice!)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yep what millimole said. Though why you’d want to go to Hinckley is beyond me… 😆😉 (I had a summer job as an ASDA trolley fetcher there and used to cycle in most days but was coming down Ashby road rather than from Leicester)
millimole

Post by millimole »

honesty wrote:Yep what millimole said. Though why you’d want to go to Hinckley is beyond me… ImageImage (I had a summer job as an ASDA trolley fetcher there and used to cycle in most days but was coming down Ashby road rather than from Leicester)
I've been racking my brain trying to think of a feature that redeems Hinckley.
The only thing I can say is that it's got a good train service.
Damned with faint praise?
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Louis Vierne, great French organist and composer of the early 20th century, rather surprisingly wrote a terrific piece based on the carillon which kept him up all night after a performance in Hinckley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qhEgE7-K34
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
millimole

Post by millimole »

Ah well, if we're going for historic goodness the Joseph Hansom of Hansom Cab fame deserves a mention as a townsman.
honesty

Post by honesty »

millimole wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 4:25pm I've been racking my brain trying to think of a feature that redeems Hinckley.
The only thing I can say is that it's got a good train service.
Damned with faint praise?
It was very good for passing driving tests in…

err…

Triumph motorbikes is there.

Humm.

Heres some faint praise… It’s definitely not Coalville.
millimole

Post by millimole »

honesty wrote:
millimole wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 4:25pm.
Humm.

Heres some faint praise… It’s definitely not Coalville.
What's the replacement for Snibston like?
(I've a grudging respect for Coalville because it refuses to be gentrified, and has a clear identity, no matter how glum that identity may be)
honesty

Post by honesty »

millimole wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 8:31am
What's the replacement for Snibston like?
(I've a grudging respect for Coalville because it refuses to be gentrified, and has a clear identity, no matter how glum that identity may be)
The discovery park? It’s just houses now.

Got my first proper bike from Geoffs toys in Coalville from their old location on the corner of the pedestrianised area. A Raleigh Equipe. Chain broke whilst cycling it home… pretty much sums up Coalville.