Would left hand cars help cyclist?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ArMoRothair

Re: Would left hand cars help cyclist?

Post by ArMoRothair »

DaveP wrote:I used to drive a couple of LHD cars - in this country. Yes, you can certainly see cyclists very clearly, and being well disposed I obviously conducted myself with suitable courtesy :D
But in general I would be driving quite close to the kerb, specifically so that I could obtain some forward vision up the nearside of the line of cars ahead of me who were generally hugging the centre line - as they do today. If LHD vehicles became common there could be implications for the cycling community...

This^

I've owned LHD in the UK, RHD in France and LHD in France. Sitting closer to the kerb allows you to judge distance better and thus cut it closer.

Did you know the early Italian cars were all LHD, despite Italy being a drive-on-the-left country? Because in the early days of motoring they felt it gave the driver the ability to better judge where the kerb and pot-holes were. When there were few cars on the road the ability to see past a car in front was of lesser importance.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It must also help observation going around corners with restricted views, sat on the left, going around a bend to the left with close hedges, you would have to slow right down to a crawl.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

In my experience drivers of LH drive vehicles in the UK tend to pass much closer to me, strangely the reverse doesn't seem to be the case when I'm abroad
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Postboxer wrote:It must also help observation going around corners with restricted views, sat on the left, going around a bend to the left with close hedges, you would have to slow right down to a crawl.

No - yo just leave the boot in and hope...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

jezer wrote:As I understand it countries whose mototorists drive on the left are the UK, Ireland, Japan, South Africa, Austalia, NZ, possibly India. Maybe some other African countries. When cycling in France I find generally the standards are better, apart from UK registered cars.

Mostly ex-British colonies, such as Cyprus, Malta, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kenya, Botswana, Guyana, Fiji etc. Also countries which were never colonised but heavily influenced by the British Empire, eg Thailand, Nepal, Tonga, or which have been influenced by those in turn, eg Namibia (started driving on left when occupied by RSA). But also some which had no particular connection with Britain, eg Indonesia, Mozambique. Also, don't underestimate the extent of pre-war driving on the left within Europe: the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Portugal, I think Greece. And even within countries: Spain, Italy and I think Belgium had different rules in different towns and provinces.

None of which helps answer the original question!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Another point. Until 1968 Sweden was drive-on-the-left: but almost all cars in Sweden had LHD. Apparently one of the driving forces for the change to drive-on-the-right was to make it easier and safer to overtake - previously there had been a high accident rate due to overtaking.

There was an article about this change in the Telegraph many years ago. At midnight all traffic had to stop, a few hours later the roads were opened again.

Contrary to expectations, there were many fewer "accidents" for a while after the change of sides, because drivers were being more careful! But not for long.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have driven RHD on the continent and LHD in the UK. One big advantage of sitting on the nearside is that the chance of being injured in a head-on collision on single-carriageway is much less. In a standard car one can lean over a bit and see plenty. If in doubt just do not overtake.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One big advantage of sitting on the nearside is that the chance of being injured in a head-on collision on single-carriageway is much less.
That's got to be a big comfort to your front-seat passenger! :twisted:

Seriously, I recall many years ago sitting as passenger alongside a colleague in Germany, going along the Autobahn. As you know, some roads in Germany have no speed limit, and this guy was touching 200 Km/h plus. It sure was clutching-door-handle time, for yours truly! :shock: :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
syklist

Post by syklist »

maxcherry wrote:Car drivers sit on the right in the car and i was wondering does this cause a problem with judging distance from cyclist, pavements and soft humans.
If the driver side was on the left, they would be closer to the pavement and cylsit which would help them see how blooming close they are to hurting someone.

I don't think it would make much of a difference. I had some RHD Morgans on GB plates come past me one summer on a big climb here in Norway. They left me somewhat less room when overtaking than most cars on Norwegian plates. But then again I have had some uncomfortably close passes by LHD cars. In some cases the road was straight and wide enough to give me 2m clearance, with no oncoming traffic, on other occasions it was obvious that there was not enough time or space for the car to pass safely. Well except to the drivers concerned who cannot have been paying attention. Giving enough space to a cyclist involves so much more than which side of the car you are sitting on.

I have a RHD VW bus here in Norway as you say I can see the side of the road easily and place the bus right on the white stripe if I want. Sometimes this gives me better visibility than if I were in a LHD car. Left hand bends spring to mind, I often get a better view of the road ahead as I am 1-1.5m over to the right. On the other hand the opposite is true in right hand bends. So swings and roundabouts.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Living in France and owning both right and left-hand drive cars I find that depending on model I prefer to be on the 'wrong' side - in most cases it gives better visibility, it's easy to get in and out and yes - you are more aware of pedestrians and cyclists. As someone has said you are also less likely to be injured in a head-on/ 3/4 collision. For people doing deliveries like posties I can't see why they are not the automatic choice.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The biggest disadvantage of driving position on the wrong side is not being able to see well past large vehicles.In an urban situation a bus unexpectedly stopping in front can present considerable problems for the solo driver. And the drivers behind can get shirty, not always realizing the car in front has a line of sight problem.

I cant say as I notice ( on my bike) more clearance from LHD cars in the UK.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

PDQ Mobile wrote:The biggest disadvantage of driving position on the wrong side is not being able to see well past large vehicles.In an urban situation a bus unexpectedly stopping in front can present considerable problems for the solo driver. And the drivers behind can get shirty, not always realizing the car in front has a line of sight problem.

True - very rural where I live!
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:The biggest disadvantage of driving position on the wrong side is not being able to see well past large vehicles.In an urban situation a bus unexpectedly stopping in front can present considerable problems for the solo driver. And the drivers behind can get shirty, not always realizing the car in front has a line of sight problem.

I also find it awkward coming on a slip road to join a D/C or motorway. It all depends how the slip road is angled: some in France are at quite a sharp angle to the D/C with little space to accelerate before you have to join it. You tend to rely on your LH side mirror, hoping it's positioned right with no blind spots...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
syklist

Post by syklist »

PDQ Mobile wrote:The biggest disadvantage of driving position on the wrong side is not being able to see well past large vehicles.

Again a case of swings and roundabouts. If you are on a long straight road with no front seat passenger (and no periscope) then yes, it is a problem. On the other hand, on a twisty road you often get a better view of the road ahead than in a car with the steering wheel on the "correct" side of the car. Big lorry, sweeping right hand bend, my RHD van, I can see along the inside (RH side in my case) of the lorry, check the road for a couple of seconds and know that it is clear to overtake. It would not be possible to see the road ahead if I were sitting in a LHD car even if I pulled out fully into the LH lane.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

syklist wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:The biggest disadvantage of driving position on the wrong side is not being able to see well past large vehicles.

Again a case of swings and roundabouts. If you are on a long straight road with no front seat passenger (and no periscope) then yes, it is a problem. On the other hand, on a twisty road you often get a better view of the road ahead than in a car with the steering wheel on the "correct" side of the car. Big lorry, sweeping right hand bend, my RHD van, I can see along the inside (RH side in my case) of the lorry, check the road for a couple of seconds and know that it is clear to overtake. It would not be possible to see the road ahead if I were sitting in a LHD car even if I pulled out fully into the LH lane.

It would if you were correctly positioned to overtake. Try sitting a bit further back (this is one of the most common errors of drivers wanting to overtake a large, slow vehicle; sitting too close to see down the near-side on bends).