A place to avoid?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

A place to avoid?

Post by mercalia »

Walthamstow Central fight: Up to 200 teenagers present

well I will be avoiding that part of the world?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34462223

need a mobile app to show all the fight zones?
TrevA

Re: A place to avoid?

Post by TrevA »

This could happen anywhere. Certainly in any large town centre and usually late at night.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I remember when a couple of groups of youths from Huntingdon and Peterborough decided that St Ives was a good place to sort out their differences

The lone local PC was called , took one look, retreated and called for help

When backup arrived it was sorted

What was amazing was the criticism of the Locsl PC for not approaching and challenging several hundred tooled up youths

I think he was correct
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Nothing changes I remember a similar incident on High Row Darlington when I was a lad. Must have been about 1968
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mods v rockers?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Venue for Mods v rockers used to be Scarborough on a bank holiday. [emoji5]️
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
73Chaz

Post by 73Chaz »

I've lived here for 20 years; I think it's a great place. :)
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

Reminds me a bit of where I live in Somerset, as a place to avoid (for a different reason). 3 car crashes in one weekend had all the local papers and TV reports making wild claims that it was the most dangerous road in the country, no, people just needed to realise that you do no take a sharp corner (complete with double white lines, hazard barriers etc) at ridiculous speeds. Within a week the Highways Agency had sent a team out to resurface the road, new double white lines and warning signs. It hasn't stopped the ridiculous speeds, just means slightly more traction on the road surface, can't wait for a bit of winter ice :( I turn off right on the bend, I have to indicate and move into the middle of the road and "own" it about 100m before the turn or I get cars overtaking me despite my arm out and taking primary, double white lines and an impending sharp left hander means nothing in their haste to get past a bike, the trouble is the cars coming the other way "skimming" the corner nearly take my arm off.

Hope I haven't gone too far off topic.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

mercalia wrote:mods v rockers?

most scooter riders and motorbike riders I know are all good friends these days ' even attending each others rallies .
I think the common cause of places to avoid is alcohol ! ie people who have had too much of it !!
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

mercalia wrote:Walthamstow Central fight: Up to 200 teenagers present

I'm doing a course which involves doing a weekend in class once a month. Next month I need to go to London. As I'm paying for the course myself I have to pay for my own hotel. I've booked one right next to the tube station in Walthamstow. Let's hope the missus doesn't see that report.

That said, an incident like that could happen anywhere. Let's hope it doesn't happen again when I'm down there.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

The fat commuter wrote:

I'm doing a course which involves doing a weekend in class once a month. Next month I need to go to London. As I'm paying for the course myself I have to pay for my own hotel. I've booked one right next to the tube station in Walthamstow. Let's hope the missus doesn't see that report.

That said, an incident like that could happen anywhere. Let's hope it doesn't happen again when I'm down there.

Absolutely 100% correct. I commuted through here for a couple of years and it was fine.

Good luck with your course. What are you reading?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The fat commuter wrote:

well if that close I hope you have a window over looking it - some free entertainment seeing the empty-heads go to it? :lol: better than tv
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Good luck with your course. What are you reading?

It's a psychotherapy type course. Takes about three years in total. Complete change for me as I'm currently a computer programmer.

Just thought, if fighting does break out outside the hotel, I could give the culprits counselling afterwards