Replace my worn out Ribble

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mill4six

Replace my worn out Ribble

Post by mill4six »

Winter Audax. Stripped it down today to locate the source of an irritating creak. The crankset is well worn and wear marks suggest the splined shaft has been moving on the crank. For sure I could treat it to a new set but the whole bike needs tlc, probably a new groupset. I've been looking at CX bikes or disc braked tourers. Discs are just a personal preference. I really want the gear range of an MTB and triples are rare on CX bikes although I do want to tackle some rough stuff occasionally. I have found the Trek 520 Disc at the top of my budget £900. I'd rather have a Croix de Fer triple but it doesn't exist. Anyone know of similar machines in this price range? Thanks.
pwa

Re: Replace my worn out Ribble

Post by pwa »

Isn't there a "Tour de Fer" with bar ends and triple? Bit of a tourer really. Could be over budget, though. Spa steel Audax with road triple? Not disc, but supposed to be nice to ride. Road only, though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

spline a bit knackered? -whack the crank back on with Loctite (or if that doesn't work, epoxy resin) and ride it through the winter anyway; that is what winter bikes are for.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

New bike every time I get a creak ... £900 .... I take it you replace your car every time the carpets get dirty ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

landsurfer wrote:New bike every time I get a creak ... £900 .... I take it you replace your car every time the carpets get dirty ......

The problem with this and other forums, is that some people are too keen to appear clever. The OP says nothing about how old his bike is, how many miles it has done, how much time he spends maintaining it etc. If you read his post, you will see that his bike may need a new groupset, so a single creak is not his only problem. He has just asked a question which you have failed to answer or to contribute to.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've not ridden one but I was having a browse in passing in Edinburgh Bike Co-op's Manchester store recently (while I had 1/2 hour to kill) & liked the look of their Revolution Cross Sport Disc 15 @ £550 with a 3x8 triple (48/38/28T Front, 11-32 rear) & mounts for mudguards/racks.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:I've not ridden one but I was having a browse in passing in Edinburgh Bike Co-op's Manchester store recently (while I had 1/2 hour to kill) & liked the look of their Revolution Cross Sport Disc 15 @ £550 with a 3x8 triple (48/38/28T Front, 11-32 rear) & mounts for mudguards/racks.

Rick.

You'd struggle to beat that for the price IMHO,looks good and well specced for a winter trainer/commuter.
You've got to wonder what it'd ride like with a pair of nice n big,supple Hypers fitted :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote: You'd struggle to beat that for the price IMHO....

unless you buy the version with canti brakes instead... it is essentially the same, but lighter in weight and over £150 cheaper... :wink:

BTW it is a shame that they don't do more different frame sizes.

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote: You'd struggle to beat that for the price IMHO....

unless you buy the version with canti brakes instead... it is essentially the same, but lighter in weight and over £150 cheaper... :wink:

BTW it is a shame that they don't do more different frame sizes.

cheers

This one?:- http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... road-bikes

I agree on both points
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mind you it does have a 'lesser' 3x7 transmission and a few other differences... yer pays yer money...

cheers
pwa

Post by pwa »

RickH wrote:I've not ridden one but I was having a browse in passing in Edinburgh Bike Co-op's Manchester store recently (while I had 1/2 hour to kill) & liked the look of their Revolution Cross Sport Disc 15 @ £550 with a 3x8 triple (48/38/28T Front, 11-32 rear) & mounts for mudguards/racks.

Rick.

I'm always put off their bikes by the hi-tensile steel forks they use. Cro-mo is my basic requirement and wouldn't add hugely to the cost.
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Thanks I'll check that one out. The trouble with repairing what I have is that I don't want to throw money at an essentially worn out bike. There's a little frame corrosion and wear on the seat stays from a pannier as well as a tired groupset. I could bodge it but I spend a lot of time on this bike and I want it to feel good.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

how much do you want for your worn out Ribble bike ...I'll fix it and use it !!
Worn out groupset, so that will be bearings and chainrings ..... 'll have it !!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

I cleaned everything and put the cranks back on with loctite. Still creaks. Think I'll have to get some earplugs, the central heating just blew up.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mill4six wrote:I cleaned everything and put the cranks back on with loctite. Still creaks....

could it be that the creak came from someplace else in the first place?

Bad luck about the CH.... just the time of year for it.... :roll:

cheers