A9 Scotland

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Sleeper Service

Re: A9 Scotland

Post by Sleeper Service »

Brucey wrote:this article shows where the cracks are;

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/pictures-2cm-crack-shut-forth-6956428

IMHO to close the bridge to pedestrian and cyclist traffic appears to be something of an overreaction.

cheers

Normally, yes. However they're using the pedestrian and cycle path for machinery access, so that's why it's closed.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Time to close lots more roads so the idiots start to learn and stay at home.

Just read an interesting description of the streets here in Germany.

In the middle ages people just threw their muck onto the street.

Now the streets are blocked just the same, but by cars that get more ugly each year.

Mind, I much prefer a standing vehicle to a moving one.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sleeper Service

Post by Sleeper Service »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Time to close lots more roads so the idiots start to learn and stay at home.

Just read an interesting description of the streets here in Germany.

In the middle ages people just threw their muck onto the street.

Now the streets are blocked just the same, but by cars that get more ugly each year.

Mind, I much prefer a standing vehicle to a moving one.

Oh dear. Another one.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Sleeper Service wrote:
Oh dear. Another one.

Que?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Elizabeth_S wrote:Just a warning, since the Forth road bridge has closed, the amount of traffic on the A9 has double, possibly trebled, and it is absolutely hideously bad.
:roll: I live close to the A9 and have seen no change in motor traffic levels following the FRB debacle.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

My other half has, he drives it every day, so have others including my sons who are trying to get to university for exams (TOH wanted to get petrol at Balhaldie but he wouldn't go in because it was so busy, and moving, he'd never get out again, and as you know there is no petrol station between Balhaldie and Stirling now). It depends when you drive, peak hours definitely, they even close off the Dunblane exit at the Keir roundabout to keep traffic flows moving, which means if you are driving up from Bridge of Allan to the Keir roundabout you can't get out nor can you easily get out from the Dunblane entrance on to the roundabout as traffic is coming straight down the A9 and over to the M9 and moving fast. But if you drive off peak you might not notice such a difference. Other people we know in Alloa have mentioned traffic jams and being stuff for an hour.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

For people less in the know, the A9 that Elizabeth_S and Ron are discussing is the part of the A9 between Stirling and Perth, and not the bulk of the A9 between Perth and Inverness (plus further north) that we know and love. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Ron wrote:
Elizabeth_S wrote:Just a warning, since the Forth road bridge has closed, the amount of traffic on the A9 has double, possibly trebled, and it is absolutely hideously bad.
:roll: I live close to the A9 and have seen no change in motor traffic levels following the FRB debacle.

The off peak traffic levels on the M9, the Clackmannanshire Bridge, and surrounding roads are far higher than before the Forth Bridge closure. Luckily I've not needed to be in the area during peak hours.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just thinking about it ............ and maybe considering the A9 as it used to be ................
Sorry for going a little OT here. :oops:

The A9 was the main route north from Edinburgh before the Forth Road Bridge (1964) and the Kincardine Bridge (1936).
It went west from Edinburgh via Linlithgow, Falkirk, and Bannockburn into Stirling, before turning north through Bridge of Allen and Dunblane, then Auchterarder to Perth.

Can't say I remember it specifically that way as we didn't move to that area until 1974. However, it's changed a HUGE amount since then. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall