Horrifying hit-and-run in Brighton

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Horrifying hit-and-run in Brighton

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Jan 2016, 1:43pm

OK, not a cyclist, but it easily could have been, so I'm posting this in On The Road. I don't know what to say. I know the spot where this happened. WARNING: upsetting content.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... it-and-run
I only hope that they nail the scum who did this and throw away the key. And of course, hope that the unfortunate pedestrian fully recovers from his injuries.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mercalia

Brighton hit-and-run CCTV shows victim 'left for dead'

Postby mercalia » 26 Jan 2016, 7:12pm

Brighton hit-and-run CCTV shows victim 'left for dead'

what chance do we stand with drivers like this on the road?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35409459

661-Pete

Re: Brighton hit-and-run CCTV shows victim 'left for dead'

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Jan 2016, 7:13pm

Already posted: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103179
Truly shocking.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

horizon

Re: Horrifying hit-and-run in Brighton

Postby horizon » 26 Jan 2016, 7:28pm

I'm a forgiving person even of motorists when they make a genuine mistake or do something unintentionally foolish. This incident however has really got to me firstly because of the speed of the vehicle and secondly because of not stopping. I also hope they catch him/her/them soon.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Tank63

Postby Tank63 » 26 Jan 2016, 8:01pm

It's frightening that people drive like this! They just left the poor bloke for dead. I'm glad he is recovering and as for the driver I hope they throw the book at him or her.

kylecycler

Postby kylecycler » 26 Jan 2016, 8:22pm

Basic white Fiat 500 POP - black door mirrors, wheel covers not alloys. Only one model with that spec, so that should narrow it down. Significant damage too. Whoever it is would be better to hand themselves in. Lifetime ban would be justice but it won't happen - people think they can't live without cars.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Jan 2016, 8:25pm

I remember a story about a truck driver who drove for miles dragging a cyclist and bike. He pulled over to remove the bike and throw it over the crash barrier IIRC before carrying on. I think the prosecution or family's legal action took years to resolve.

I just mentioned it because even if they find the driver there'll be a lot to go through for the family before the driver gets any conviction. I just hope he/she gets caught and convicted for something serious.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 26 Jan 2016, 8:34pm

Apparently, police have recovered the car, but not been able to identify the driver.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Jan 2016, 8:41pm

The local paper, the Argus, says that police have traced the car involved - but unfortunately not the driver - and they believe it was stolen. What's really scary for me, is that this creature is still at large - possibly driving another stolen vehicle - and only ten miles from where we live.

As an aside - I really believe people ought to be forced by law, to take more care in securing their vehicles. Audible alarms are, of course, utterly useless - but deadlocks and immobilisers help. And don't leave the keys lying around in the house - visible near the front door for instance - where an intruder could break in and grab them in an instant. If I'd been the 'innocent' owner of that vehicle, and if it had been through my carelessness that the car had been nicked, and driven away to nearly kill someone - well you bet I'd feel bad about it.....

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 26 Jan 2016, 8:49pm

You might aswell put a safe in the kitchen to lock up all the knives then.
Cars etc aren't dangerous. People are.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

horizon

Postby horizon » 26 Jan 2016, 9:40pm

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Jan 2016, 9:52pm

Vantage wrote:Cars etc aren't dangerous. People are.

Guns don't kill people, rabbits do!

Who sang or rapped that? Which song or track is it from?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 27 Jan 2016, 9:20am

Vantage wrote:You might aswell put a safe in the kitchen to lock up all the knives then.
Cars etc aren't dangerous. People are.

I've heard that line of argument often enough before, but sorry I don't agree.

In an ideal world we'd have got all criminals off our streets, but that isn't going to happen in my lifetime - or yours - or even our great-grandchildren's.

The USA is fighting, amid great controversy, an unprecedented epidemic of gun crime. I side with Obama on this: take away the guns and fewer people will be shot. Of course there must be many thousands of totally innocent gun-owners who only ever shoot their weapons at a paper target. I'm sure we're sorry that they would have to do away with an enjoyable pastime, but some sacrifices have to be made.

With cars, it's not much of a sacrifice, asking people to lock away the car keys, is it? I'm not asking to take away their cars! But a large proportion of car thefts are by opportunists who simply sneak in and grab the keys when the front door's been left open, maybe because the householder's putting out the bin. Make it harder for them, and there'll be fewer of them. Simple!

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 27 Jan 2016, 2:29pm

I have heard that a lot of people tend to come in the front door, and then just chuck their car/house keys on a table/shelf/hook behind the door, for convenience. Thieves know this, and use a wire through the letterbox to get the keys.
We never do this, and we always take our keys upstairs with us at night. We've had neighbours have their cars stolen by people getting into the house and just picking up keys from the kitchen table. :(

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Jan 2016, 4:53pm

Did you notice how the bystanders reacted to the victim lying in the road? Hasn't everyone done some basic First Aid these days. Is he breathing? Is his airway obstructed? Anyone called the ambulance? CPR? ..............