Horrifying hit-and-run in Brighton

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Re: Horrifying hit-and-run in Brighton

Post by 661-Pete »

I understand about thread drift; I don't understand the post before mine. Is someone crying 'troll'?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

AFAIK he's saying the person who wrote the quoted post had disagreed with something or someone and just had to stay and post a reply. Kind of "how dare you disagree with me, I'll show you by posting a really long reply with many bullet points to change your mind to the correct way of thinking".

It's an old online joke/cartoon.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:AFAIK he's saying the person who wrote the quoted post had disagreed with something or someone and just had to stay and post a reply. Kind of "how dare you disagree with me, I'll show you by posting a really long reply with many bullet points to change your mind to the correct way of thinking".

1. As a list it needed bullet points.
2. Also I was responding to a previous list.
3. I wasn't disagreeing with the post I was replying to.
4. I spend all my time typing so I can rattle that out in not much more time than it takes to say it.
5. I didn't have to stay up past my bedtime.
6. Yes, it's a very old cartoon...
7. :lol:
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

He just sounds like an avid cyclist to me.

Now you don't know if I am trolling. :twisted:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

(*sigh*)

As far as the news reports go, both suspects arrested last week have now been bailed. I don't know whether the Plod merely hauled in a couple of their known suspects with 'previous' (I'm sure they have many on file), or whether there was any direct evidence linking these individuals with the crime. We just have to wait and see.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:(*sigh*)

As far as the news reports go, both suspects arrested last week have now been bailed. I don't know whether the Plod merely hauled in a couple of their known suspects with 'previous' (I'm sure they have many on file), or whether there was any direct evidence linking these individuals with the crime. We just have to wait and see.

They must have something on them,and they've been bailed as they think thy're likely to turn up at court.

If found guilty they'll probably get a slap on the wrist :roll: rather than 5 year hard labour,which is what they deserve :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

kwackers wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:AFAIK he's saying the person who wrote the quoted post had disagreed with something or someone and just had to stay and post a reply. Kind of "how dare you disagree with me, I'll show you by posting a really long reply with many bullet points to change your mind to the correct way of thinking".

1. As a list it needed bullet points.
2. Also I was responding to a previous list.
3. I wasn't disagreeing with the post I was replying to.
4. I spend all my time typing so I can rattle that out in not much more time than it takes to say it.
5. I didn't have to stay up past my bedtime.
6. Yes, it's a very old cartoon...
7. :lol:

I thought the cartoon was funny. Especially as I'm posting here when I ought to be cleaning my teeth and going to bed, and Mr Flinders called out he was going to bed some time ago...............
syklist

Post by syklist »

661-Pete wrote:I'm lost with the above post. I don't usually ask this, but this time perhaps, could we either get back on topic, or desist?

1) Exactly! Thread drift only happens when more than one person decides to argue a point (or two).
2) See Flinders' post.
3) Yes it is an old cartoon, I didn't say anything about it being a new one.
4) On the subject of thread drift, what does this thread have to do with cycling?

Finally, I am glad to see that there have been some "positive" developments in this case.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

syklist wrote: ........
4) On the subject of thread drift, what does this thread have to do with cycling?.......

Vulnerabilty.
The way the perpetrator drove off and left someone for dead,which could easily have been a cyclist?
The concern by the OP that it could be a cyclist left for dead on a country road with no one around to help them?
The lack of penalties that fit the crime,that's if such crimes ever get to court?
The way some are prepared to use a car as a weapon?
The sheer inhumanity of some people?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
syklist

Post by syklist »

reohn2 wrote:
syklist wrote: ........
4) On the subject of thread drift, what does this thread have to do with cycling?.......

Vulnerabilty.

Thanks for the clear reply.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

syklist wrote:4) On the subject of thread drift, what does this thread have to do with cycling?
I think Reohn2 has answered that, as well as I could have.

Oh yes I recognised the cartoon all right, it's been around for some years hasn't it? Though I've not come across the magazine before.

I was thinking we had a veiled accusation of trolling crop up here, which I was a bit peeved about. I won't go into reasons....