Slow riders?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Annoying Twit

Slow riders?

Postby Annoying Twit » 1 Feb 2016, 9:51am

Hi. I'm new here.

Is there anyone else who enjoys long distances at slow commuting speeds? I'm happy to get on the bike and cycle for what I see as long distances cross-country, waving cheerily to 'proper cyclists' as they overtake me at twice my speed. I'm looking forward to the summer so that I can ride further without running out of daylight hours.

beardy

Re: Slow riders?

Postby beardy » 1 Feb 2016, 10:30am

Not sure if I actually enjoy only being able to average 10mph instead of 15mph.

Yet I still enjoy the ride and do the miles, I probably would enjoy it more to do 150 miles at 15mph than 100 miles at 10 mph.

hondated

Postby hondated » 1 Feb 2016, 10:42am

Annoying Twit wrote:Hi. I'm new here.

Is there anyone else who enjoys long distances at slow commuting speeds? I'm happy to get on the bike and cycle for what I see as long distances cross-country, waving cheerily to 'proper cyclists' as they overtake me at twice my speed. I'm looking forward to the summer so that I can ride further without running out of daylight hours.

I do too but its frustrating when faster cyclists pass me. Still at least I am seeing the beauty of my surroundings probably unlike them.

oldmanonabike

Postby oldmanonabike » 1 Feb 2016, 11:04am

The whole point is to enjoy the ride, you're ideal speed is the speed you are doing at the time, let the others worry about what they are doing :)
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

beardy

Postby beardy » 1 Feb 2016, 11:13am

The whole point is to enjoy the ride

Not for all of us. I also want to get from A-B, I also want to go further and increase my range, I want to complete an Audax within the time limits and even be able to keep up with the others on it. I want to lose a bit more weight. I dont find that doing 15mph instead of 10mph greatly detracts from the view.

Nothing wrong with doing a pootle, especially with friends and family but I also enjoy a challenge of speed and distance. Not in competition with others but in competition with your own previous rides.

Some days I am happy to just ride along with the sun on my back but I always like to cycle as fast as I can do so comfortably. If it is no great effort to ride at 10mph then I just couldnt ride along at 9mph.

CliveyT

Postby CliveyT » 1 Feb 2016, 11:36am

beardy wrote: I want to complete an Audax within the time limits and even be able to keep up with the others on it.

Nonsense. I paid to enter I'm going to get my moneys worth by staying out there for as long as possible. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 1 Feb 2016, 11:44am

Another slowcoach here.... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

beardy

Postby beardy » 1 Feb 2016, 11:45am

To me completing within the time limits is staying out as long as possible.
Taking more time than that is a bit dis-courteous to the poor bored organiser sat waiting for me.
Though they are normally rather polite about it, if still there.

CliveyT

Postby CliveyT » 1 Feb 2016, 11:55am

Oh I've only once missed the cut-off (3 punctures, only 2 spare tubes). I just flirt much more with the upper limit than any lower one

Annoying Twit

Postby Annoying Twit » 1 Feb 2016, 12:10pm

Thanks for the answers everyone.

CliveyT wrote:Oh I've only once missed the cut-off (3 punctures, only 2 spare tubes). I just flirt much more with the upper limit than any lower one

Can I be nosey and ask how big the upper cut-offs are for the audaxes/rides that you go on? For my upcoming ride the cutoff is 8hrs30mins, which does seem reasonably generous.

Si

Postby Si » 1 Feb 2016, 12:15pm

'Slow' is a relative term.

You might not be as fast as the rest of the field in your event, but compared to the vast majority of the population you are a positive speed machine! Most wouldn't even dream of doing your distances let alone at the speed you ride at!

So don't feel slow just because a few people ride past you, feel fast and vigorous compared to all of those people sat in the cars, and on the bus, and on the sofa :lol:

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 1 Feb 2016, 12:56pm

My average touring speed was 8.61mph excluding rest breaks, and 6.26mph including stops, and it was frustrating having your range restricted by the lack of speed. Climbing hills I used to be down to the slowest pace I could balance at (~2.3mph) and still have to ration the number of climbs I did.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

hondated

Postby hondated » 1 Feb 2016, 1:19pm

Si wrote:'Slow' is a relative term.

You might not be as fast as the rest of the field in your event, but compared to the vast majority of the population you are a positive speed machine! Most wouldn't even dream of doing your distances let alone at the speed you ride at!

So don't feel slow just because a few people ride past you, feel fast and vigorous compared to all of those people sat in the cars, and on the bus, and on the sofa :lol:

Like that Si.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 1 Feb 2016, 1:38pm

I have had the mortifying experience of being overtaken by a jogger, going uphill.... :oops:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 1 Feb 2016, 1:42pm

oldmanonabike wrote:The whole point is to enjoy the ride, you're ideal speed is the speed you are doing at the time, let the others worry about what they are doing :)

What he said! "The speed I am doing at the time" varies with where I am - going up a hill of course is slower than elsewhere, on a long flattish bit I might boost my speed a bit and see how long I can keep it up, etc. etc.

Not looking forward to going out just at the moment, it might be a challenge staying upright in these winds!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !