Cycling faux pas by politicians.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
james01

Cycling faux pas by politicians.

Post by james01 »

Remember the politician a few years back who was photographed with helmet back to front? Here's another:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... tuary.html

Look at the photo near the bottom of this obituary. Note that the bike chain is on the normal right side.
Now look at which trouser leg is tucked into sock.

And these are the people who lead us! :D
Bicycler

Re: Cycling faux pas by politicians.

Post by Bicycler »

Meh, he was one of the good guys
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

You can't be sure he wasn't responding to a interviewer or photographer halfway through either tucking his trousers in or taking them out. Journos and photographers are good at getting people at an unguarded moment.

Years ago I knew a Territorial who was being photographed for 'local blokes in the TA' type article in the local rag. The photographer had him set up for a typical 'warry' pose crouching in the undergrowth with rifle pointing at some unseen, fantasy enemy. It wasn't till it was published he realised he hadn't put a magazine on the rifle (with or without rounds) which - to those in the know - made the whole thing look ridiculous. He got some stick for that (!) but it was trying to pose for the photographer that had stopped him thinking properly.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I wouldn't be surprised if the photographer had him change the side that the trouser was tucked into the sock as it looks more impressive if it's the close sock.
661-Pete

stupid thread

Post by 661-Pete »

Nice way to post about someone who's just died. :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

More likely he found that the hem of his left trouser leg caught the crank cotter but the right hem posed no such problem, the protruding chain guard keeping the hem away from the crank and cotter on that side.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

You used to occasionally get photos in the paper of footballers or pop singers playing chess, probably set up by PR with the mistaken idea of trying to show that they aren't as stupid as commonly made out. Except of course this doesn't work unless they can really play, and from the sight of them playing anyone with any knowledge of the game can quickly spot that they can barely play: in the worst case they haven't even set the board up properly.

A variation on this theme was the prize-winning novelist who described the characters in his book playing chess, and tried to use some technical terminology to describe the progress of the game. He used it ignorantly and thus exposed his own lack of knowledge of the game, or more accurately his inflated estimation of his bluffing ability. Ironically, I happen to know that the novelist in question is a practised backgammon player, but perhaps writing about something he actually knows about wasn't enough of a challenge for him.
Graham

Post by Graham »

. . . .riding a proper Raleigh bicycle, with a chainguard.

Sounds like a good dude to me.

PS. I'm aspiring to the title "Lord Stonehenge", but "Lord West Kennet Long Barrow" would also have the necessary gravitas. :mrgreen:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:More likely he found that the hem of his left trouser leg caught the crank cotter but the right hem posed no such problem, the protruding chain guard keeping the hem away from the crank and cotter on that side.

I once got a roasting from my Mam for tearing my only school trousers by that very method :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

Apparently I was spouting off about Eric in the common room just after I started university - I lived in Orpington at the time. One of the young ladies thought to herself "I bet I end up with that idiot".

SWMBO is always right - 50 years later we are still together.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Ben@Forest wrote:You can't be sure he wasn't responding to a interviewer or photographer halfway through either tucking his trousers in or taking them out. Journos and photographers are good at getting people at an unguarded moment.

Years ago I knew a Territorial who was being photographed for 'local blokes in the TA' type article in the local rag. The photographer had him set up for a typical 'warry' pose crouching in the undergrowth with rifle pointing at some unseen, fantasy enemy. It wasn't till it was published he realised he hadn't put a magazine on the rifle (with or without rounds) which - to those in the know - made the whole thing look ridiculous. He got some stick for that (!) but it was trying to pose for the photographer that had stopped him thinking properly.

I think you probably have it there. I've more than once been photographed by a journalist in the course of my work. They always ask me to pose in the same way - in a poxy highly dramatic pose I'd never adopt when working. Because I'm an artist, and to journalists artists always have a palette in their hand*, they always want me to hold a palette in my hand too. If you say 'but I never work like that' they sulk. In the past I've had to sigh, give in, dig a palette out from the back of a cupboard and set it up on purpose, as in the studio I use a slab of marble on a table to mix paint. Even outdoors I leave the palette on my easel and mix things there- many artists do in fact.

That's why I never 'believe' photos of artists from the past, they aren't 'evidence' about how they worked. The photographers would probably have been doing the same thing then, people don't change much. Photographs can and do lie. :wink:

*journalists tend to think in cliches. Not the very best journalists, but the majority of them. And always the ones I get, bless their cotton socks.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Arnie was Governor of California, of course...
Here he is a few weeks ago, taking one last selfie before potentially rearranging his features on the streets of Edinburgh... :shock:

You'll see it was the same in the other photos... :oops:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... burgh.html
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Graham wrote:PS. I'm aspiring to the title "Lord Stonehenge", but "Lord West Kennet Long Barrow" would also have the necessary gravitas.

Would Lord Cerne Abbas do?
Graham

Post by Graham »

iviehoff wrote:Would Lord Cerne Abbas do?

Oh yes, very appropriate on many levels. :lol:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

james01 wrote:Remember the politician a few years back who was photographed with helmet back to front? Here's another:<br abp="1387">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/politics-obituaries/12156569/Lord-Avebury-obituary.html<br abp="1388"><br abp="1389">Look at the photo near the bottom of this obituary. Note that the bike chain is on the normal right side. <br abp="1390">Now look at which trouser leg is tucked into sock.<br abp="1391"><br abp="1392">And these are the people who lead us! :D

You must be a youngster who has never ridden a proper old bike. :wink:

Trouser in the left sock was a definite in the good old days of cottered cranks. Oh takes me back to getting long trousers not shorts for school.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar