A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: A positive thread

Post by reohn2 »

Alport wrote:Cycling through Derbyshire lanes on a beautiful spring morning, it's a Tuesday and I no longer have to go to work!
Saw, for me, the first swifts of the year, and many, many bluebells.

Sure they were Swifts and not Swallows.
The swallows are late this year by about twelve days where I live :? ,but it's not been warm enough upto now.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Alport

Post by Alport »

Hi Reohn
Think you were right - they were swallows.

Looked here
http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/s/swift/identification.aspx

and these were definitely able to sit on telephone wires!
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

up and about early today , day off work the sun is shining and i'm going for a nice long ride on the bike :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Spent a few days in Suffolk. Theres no hills only slopes :lol: Observed many hares, muntjacs and a few swallows swooping around.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Si

Post by Si »

Yesterday...
gave a load of happy people free bikes,
taught a few people to ride,
and the sun was shining.

...what more could you want? Oh yeah, got paid for it too :D
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Rode 30 miles yesterday mainly on roads in central Sussex and all drivers, including a bus, van with very large trailer and high powered sports car, overtook me with comfortable clearance :) - except one - a driving instructor! :evil: :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Si wrote:Yesterday...
gave a load of happy people free bikes,
taught a few people to ride,
and the sun was shining.

...what more could you want? Oh yeah, got paid for it too :D

Can I have your job??? :D

Booboo the purple hippo strapped into her basket, Erin and I went for a ride to Queens Park on Wednesday. Got there by 4pm and locked up the bikes to wander into the café to get ice creams for her and I. It was closing :(
The nice lady inside having seen me rushing to lock the bikes had mercy on us and let us in. Erin's face was a picture as the chocolate cone with chocolate sauce and chocolate sprinkles on top of the chocolate ice cream was handed over to her. Lots of it ended up on Erin's face too :lol:
Then a ride to the play area and another ride through the trees and then home. All in gorgeous sunshine.

Sod's law has dictated that one of the mudguard stay bolts snapped last night and of course everywhere is closed today. Sheesh.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
baghwallah

Post by baghwallah »

MikeF wrote:Rode 30 miles yesterday mainly on roads in central Sussex and all drivers, including a bus, van with very large trailer and high powered sports car, overtook me with comfortable clearance :) - except one - a driving instructor! :evil: :evil:

Interesting.

I recently moved to the North East (Newcastle Upon Tyne) from London. I found cycling in London pretty good (mostly a joy, in fact), but I have noticed here that drivers tend to be very considerate when it comes to cyclists. Perhaps this is because they haven't yet encountered the kind of bad behaviour that one often sees from cyclists in London? I've been here 6 months and have yet to see an aggressive jumping of lights, for example.

I assume that it was the driving instructor driving, rather than a learner? I often encounter learner drivers because the main cycle route out of Newcastle towards the coast has a couple of sections which are popular with learners because they are quiet stretches. I waited a full 5 minutes last week as a learner driver attempted a three point turn (okay, it was a fourteen point turn), but I thought, "This is bread on the water". Consideration on the road works in both directions.

I must day that I have found this thread strangely calming to read... Thanks to the OP
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Just back from a long weekend in North Norfolk. Three relatively short trips (due to family commitments) inland from Sheringham, Cromer area. Lovely quiet lanes - some officially signed as "Quiet Lanes" no less - with few but invariably patient car drivers, picturesque stately homes, villages, hamlets and churches around every corner. Happy days. No wonder I visit every few years!
ragudave

Post by ragudave »

We had three bikes stolen in November last year from our garage. Two of the three have been replaced after the insurance payout and we like our new ones better than the stolen ones. We are more wary about home security now but someone positive came from something unpleasant!

Dave
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Our son's bike was once stolen from our 'secure' shed (tamper-proof locks but they levered off the roof :roll: ). The household insurance replaced it, and agreed to give us a larger size as he was outgrowing the stolen one.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Found two tubes abandoned by the wayside today. When I got them back home it was clear one was too narrow for my tastes but the other one's now got it's first ever patch and is ready to go back into service.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
groberts

Post by groberts »

Cycling through the bluebell woods today one-year on from TKR operation was very uplifting.

IMG_20160503_101545803 (Custom).jpg
robing

Post by robing »

groberts wrote:Cycling through the bluebell woods today one-year on from TKR operation was very uplifting.

IMG_20160503_101545803 (Custom).jpg

:D
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Nice ride out for a cake and cuppa this morning - 1st time in the hot (and it was very warm!) weather, lots of blubells in woods on either side of the road.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !