A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Graham

Re: A positive thread

Post by Graham »

mjr wrote:Great, but have they banked the Postcrete up above ground level to stop the legs rotting through in no time flat? (well, a couple of years)
No, but the frame is dense oak and will probably be standing when I have joined the skylarks - twittering in the breeze . . . .
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:I love stories like this!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... WEML6619I2

I'd love it if the post said what it was about:
"The George & Dragon, in Hudswell, closed in 2008 after the owners went bust at the height of the recession, but regular customers formed a co-operative to buy and refurbish the premises. The pub reopened in 2010. The Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) has now given the George & Dragon a top accolade, naming it national pub of the year."

No cycle parking, though? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I often hear woodpeckers on my commute but almost never see one.

This morning a particularly loud and close pecking prompted me to stop and look, rewarded by a fleeting glimpse of what I presume was a lesser spotted pecker, little larger than a nuthatch.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I had a bit of a rough start to my day, and Mini V was home from school with a nasty cold, so when I got home form work this afternoon, I got the bike out to pop round the chemist. I got her some cough syrup and some nasal spray and stuck them in my rack pack. I headed home, but the medicine wasn't needed immediately. The sun was out. It was the warmest it's been so far this year (8 degrees) and I just... needed a little ride.

I was only out for an extra hour or so. I could have gone longer, but I needed to get home and make tea. Anyway, it did me good to be out, and I felt much better about my day afterwards :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Felt obliged to fit a bikecam a while back for various reasons.

Found it an ideal size to unobtrusively(to him!) "film" my new grandsons 1st birthday party earlier this week - magic.

Just goes to illustrate the "every cloud has a silver lining" thing!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

the "shops that are really cool to cyclists" awards!

asda, atherton, across from the town hall
chased into shop by staff who requested that i leave my bike FURTHER inside the shop where it was more secure and less faff when i was finished!

spinning jenny shopping centre leigh (no bikes allowed!)
i interrupted a member of staff that was about to tell me that cycles were not allowed in the building (pushed obviously), but he let me finish my question "ere mate, wurs t'nearest cardboard bin?" before offering to discard of it on my behalf, and THEN notifying me that i was behaving inappropriately. "not cool to cyclists" i hear you say, well any establishment has the right to refuse having a big metal and rubber outdoorsy type machine in their building, it's all about attitude, and this member of staff saw me as a human being. well done that man.

i'll look forward to posting in this thread next time somebody shows me something other than utter contempt!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Another encounter with Mad Dog Lady today, in which she controlled her dogs without prompting.

It took her a little while but I think I may finally have got her trained :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

Satmap say they can probably fix my aged Active 10 GPS with its failing backlight, so, depending on cost, I may not need to buy a new GPS.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Went to adjust an old thermostatic radiator valve and it came off in my hand! Plastic interior bit was brittle and just snapped off. Thought ' ugh, drain down system, buy a new valve, lots of mess etc etc' Looked in tool cupboard and noted brand new identical valve in plumbing bits box! Unscrewed knurled ring and removed thermostat and screwed it onto broken valve on system. Hey presto - result! :D Years ago I must have thought it makes sense to buy two...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Went to adjust an old thermostatic radiator valve and it came off in my hand! Plastic interior bit was brittle and just snapped off. Thought ' ugh, drain down system, buy a new valve, lots of mess etc etc' Looked in tool cupboard and noted brand new identical valve in plumbing bits box! Unscrewed knurled ring and removed thermostat and screwed it onto broken valve on system. Hey presto - result! :D Years ago I must have thought it makes sense to buy two...

Al

Just a note about thermostatic rad valves,if they're not working well,usually after the system's been switched off for the summer,with top off there's a tiny plunger in the middle and it sticks either open or closed.
A squirt of GT85 and pressing down on it a bit with a coin flat on of it frees it up :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Chat Noir

Re: A positive thread - Tour de Yorkshire

Post by Chat Noir »

About to set off to catch TdY at Garrowby Hill after cafe stop at Fridaythorpe. Sun shining, temperature warming up after bitter few days, Bob Jackson ready - what not to like?
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Just in from a stunning ride down the Argyll coast , fantastic views , great weather , a day you dream of in the depths of winter ! :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cycling home from work on Monday afternoon, I left the traffic of Bridgend behind me as I turned left at Ewenny garden centre and began the gentle climb. At the village shop i turned right onto Wick Road, where the climb steepens. I was on my tourer with a couple of Ortlieb Back Roller panniers stuffed with clobber. After a couple of hundred metres I looked back and saw a bloke on an MTB busting a gut to try to catch me. Childish, I know, but my cadence went up. By the top of the climb I was well clear. Simple pleasures for simple minds.

A few minutes later passed the time of day with a couple of ladies on horseback. Around another corner I encountered what I took to be a family of about six, walking with their backs to me and holding hands, across the width of the lane. I rang my bell, and the second time it worked and they all scurried to one side. Not one of them left on the tarmac. I joked that I'm not that fat and don't need quite so much room.
peetee

Post by peetee »

One of my most memorable rides was on the downs east of Winchester. I used to go there quite often but on this particular day the weather was dry and warm, the legs and lungs weren't complaining, the endorphins were in a giggly mood and just to the south of Cheesefoot Head it seemed that the whole world had stopped just so I could listen to a Skylark giving of his best.
It was pure magic. A perfect illustration of why we share the best pastime ever invented.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.