A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
robing

Re: A positive thread

Post by robing »

AS the OP - you may have seen that I was knocked off my bike recently en route to start a cycle tour.
But I escaped with minor injuries, the bike is damaged but at the bike shop and the driver's insurance will pay.
The driver who was quite elderly was visibly upset and shaken - OK it doesn't excuse her excuse her error.
I put my arm round her and said I was ok - don't know if that was the right or wrong thing to do but she was
definitely more shaken up than me. Her grandson was in the car was also upset so I let him know I was ok.
There are no winners in a situation like this but all in all I was very lucky.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Recently a car passed me quite slowly but rather close. We both had to stop at pedestrians lights so I tapped on the nearside window. After a lot of dithering and fumbling the driver lower the window. "You nearly knocked me off" I said "you were very close". The elderly driver apologised and said he would make sure he gave more room. One wonders whether elderly drivers always have very good vision.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Seven mile ride this evening after almost three weeks off the bike through a neck injury.

On the mend at last :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad again

I wanted to start a *negative* thread when I read an article about the new *crossing* (why not *bridge*?) over the Firth of Forth. For one day it was open to walkers but one had to apply, 250 000 wanted too cross it but only 50 000 got tickets. Now the bridge is for motons only

But then I read that the old bridge (not the railway bridge) will be closed for motons for a while, only people and cyclists will be allowed, +1!

In a few years both bridges will be so badly damaged by the completely unexpected rise in traffic, what then? Best to restrict them to one lane each way and leave the rest for us,+2!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Was not planning to go cycling today but when I went outside I realised the weather was suitable, maybe 10 degrees, grey overcast instead of hot and bright like yesterday

Did 71 km, longest ride this year

Feeling smug and at last enjoying the right sort of tiredness
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There's someone I work with who has occasionally pestered me about how I should wear a helmet and use the cycle path. I hadn't heard much from him lately, though I assumed that it was just because we aren't working together as much lately.

Today, when I parked my bike at work, I noticed a new e-bike, so I went over to have a look. There was a helmet hanging on it with his name on it :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad again

I wanted to start a *negative* thread when I read an article about the new *crossing* (why not *bridge*?) over the Firth of Forth. For one day it was open to walkers but one had to apply, 250 000 wanted too cross it but only 50 000 got tickets. Now the bridge is for motons only

But then I read that the old bridge (not the railway bridge) will be closed for motons for a while, only people and cyclists will be allowed, +1!

In a few years both bridges will be so badly damaged by the completely unexpected rise in traffic, what then? Best to restrict them to one lane each way and leave the rest for us,+2!

I believe the old bridge is going to be permanently used for buses & cycles only (possibly pedestrians too, I don't recall any mention of them in things I've read but you've been able to walk - as well as cycle - across previously). I don't know if cycling will get more space in the current plans.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Peter Sagan won the rainbow jersey a third successive time in Bergen Norway where it allegedly rains a lot, a big bunch stayed together to finish in the sunshine

The Norwegian Kristoff was second a few centimeters behind, +1!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycled into town, I was accosted by a foreign tourist, told her a bit of history and gave her directions, that was my good deed for the day
pwa

Post by pwa »

I did a nice easy thirty miler yesterday, mostly on narrow lanes. I didn't time it well. Some of the ride coincided with the end of the school day, so there was a bit of traffic. On one particular lane, on which I normally meet nothing, I met two cars and a van, all going the other way. Not all together, but over the course of about three minutes. Each one stopped close against the opposite hedge to allow me maximum room to get past the stationary vehicle. And each got a friendly smile and wave of thanks. There are some decent people out there.

A few minutes later I was plodding along at maybe 10mph with a strong breeze in my face when I was caught and passed by a bloke wearing lycra and riding a carbon bike. As he passed he turned and remarked on the strong headwind. So not one of the tribal sort. Because of his good nature I decided not to chase him down and humiliate him with my athletic prowess. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
lankysnapper

Post by lankysnapper »

Back to cycling after a long gap and just to say that even in the ridiculously strong wind and heavy rain today I still had a smile on my face both going to work and coming home. Best part of the day (apart from being at home with Mrs Snapper, hastily added in case she reads this forum!).
Graham

Post by Graham »

This morning. Four miles out. Snakebike puncture with rapid deflation.

I began the recovery procedure only to find that the pump failed to work.

I began walking. One mile later as I approached the difficult bit * an old Land Rover pulled over and the driver ( a local farmer ) offered me a lift home.

I was very happy to accept as I was wearing some semi recessed cleats which made walking rather less than pleasant.

Thus we trundled back, me alongside a collie on the bench seat, the bike in the back.

Thanks Philip.

* The difficult bit is the section with no pedestrian footway, blind corners, fast driving ( and no expectation that a pedestrian would be on the road ).
gaz

Post by gaz »

Riding home come across another commuter walking along the road with a Boardman road bike slung upside down over his shoulder.

Ask if he needs any help, his chain has come off.

Bit of a tug, a few clicks of the STIs and it's back on. Back wheel refuses to turn, as if brakes are locked on. A bit more fiddling and it turns reluctantly. Too dark to see what's going on but cable disc brake is rubbing.

Notice q/r at front is on the wrong side and looking improperly adjusted. He says someone else gave him a new tube earlier in the day. Remove front wheel and turn around so the disc brake can actually work, adjust q/r. Front disc is also rubbing.

Since I've no practical experience of discs, little theoretical knowledge and there was no light other than my dynamo standlight I left it there. He was happy that the bike was at least moving again, albeit with a bit of extra effort and said he'd be taking it back to Halfords for a service.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Came across some piccies I took last Autumn on a ride along the Rea Valley route one morning - here's a selection (I hope the link to the album works!)

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm65TwUF
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Took a course in Maercherzaehlen, story telling

We were each asked to think up three short stories, two should be true and one should be a blatant lie

I was a bit shocked but soon my brain warmed up and I had three stories ready

I fooled the others, they all thought the second story was the lie, they were all wrong, the second story was true and the third was untrue :wink: