A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: A positive thread

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Jan 2019, 8:04am

Last night i sang Mendlssohn's great oratorio 'Elijah' with my choral society with professional soloists and orchestra. What a glorious experience.
John

Cycling and recycling

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 6 Feb 2019, 6:00am

Took my hearing protection to go shopping in the food store where muzak is played, I hoped to stand it long enough to buy all the things on my list
The cheap foot store without music is a bit further away but I decided to walk there instead, no muzak, Plus One! Saved cash, Plus Two! Vegs are only sold in big packs there, got to have a leek for tea today too, Plus Three!
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

londoncommuter0000

Postby londoncommuter0000 » 6 Feb 2019, 1:02pm

al_yrpal wrote:We seem to be very lucky around here, 99% of drivers are very careful and courteous to me. A smile and a friendly wave seem to do wonders. I think its in towns, particularly in commuting situations, where everyone is rushing about negative things seem to happen.

London drivers are entitled, self-centred, psychopathic bullies, the majority of whom should be detained under the Mental Health Act 1983, for the good of the public. But the rare find - and it does happen - is one who like the original post in this thread, will stop and flash you to let you turn right. Or who will hang back a good distance behind you as you're approaching bollards, letting you pass the latter in safety and at the same time preventing anyone else from overtaking you.

I always make a point of thanking these drivers. When he or she is inside a commercial vehicle - almost unheard of - I make a point of contacting the company and asking that the driver be congratulated on his patience, courtesy and road sense.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit

Patrickpioneer

Postby Patrickpioneer » 6 Feb 2019, 3:55pm

brynpoeth wrote: Saved cash, Plus Two! Vegs are only sold in big packs there, got to have a leek for tea today too, Plus Three!

LEEKS! positive to the power of ten

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 6 Feb 2019, 5:59pm

Patrickpioneer wrote:
brynpoeth wrote: Saved cash, Plus Two! Vegs are only sold in big packs there, got to have a leek for tea today too, Plus Three!

LEEKS! positive to the power of ten

The perfect vegetable, available all year
I am warming up for St Davids Day :wink:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Feb 2019, 7:02am

I do love the gloaming, the half-light mornings and evenings, especially the moment one realises it is light grey outside and one may switch the light off. Like 'saving' energy too, switching off lights :wink:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Feb 2019, 6:57pm

Longest ride of the year so far today, 55 km, determined to go for the Full Monty (100 km/day) this year
Saw a new telephone box, 'box means books' I thought, right again, a public book-swap station, yet another :wink:

gaz

Postby gaz » 9 Feb 2019, 11:21pm

Saw a nice n+1 on the local facebay today. Very practical bike, unsuitable for me but I'd still love to have it.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 14 Feb 2019, 10:59am

In my cycle commuting calendar, today officially marks the first day of spring for 2019.

Why? I heard my first woodpecker of the year on the way in. Ten minutes later, heard my second.

Isn't nature wonderful!

robing

Postby robing » 14 Feb 2019, 12:53pm

Had a few days camping and cycling in Shropshire and Welsh borders. It was wonderful! Had the campsite to myself, with a tawny owl for company at night and songbirds were my alarm clock. Some great rides, hilly! There was even a hosepipe to clean the bike afterwards.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 16 Feb 2019, 11:49am

Glorious cycling weather yesterday, and the increasing length of the days are an encouragement to take longer rides. I went up past Anglezarke reservoir and took this picture on my favourite bit of road around these parts, trees growing out of rocks and casting shadows in the bright sunshine.

I stopped at The Village Green Tearoom at Rivington and had tea and freshly made mint chocolate
cheesecake, gorgeous.
https://www.rivingtonvillagegreentearoom.com/
P1110695.JPG