A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kylecycler

Re: A positive thread

Post by kylecycler »

Pastychomper wrote:I saw a snail making his&her way across the garden path last night - first fully awake one I've seen this year.

You mean snails hibernate? Not something I've ever thought about before. The things I've learned from this forum!*

(*Another way of saying, 'I is fick'.) :)

Unseasonal weather, this, though. Grass is even needing cut and it's still February.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Frogs are spawning in the next door neighbour's pond. A bit premature I think. I'll be surprised if winter does not have at least one more frost to come.
julianm

Post by julianm »

Brimstone butterfly on the wing enjoying the sunshine - Feb 21st!
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I saw this Mandarin duck by the canal today, it was hanging out with a female Mallard and standing it's ground against the male Mallards. It has a tweeting rather than a quacking call. A spectacular bird.
P1110721.JPG

I also saw some Fallow Deer, the males sporting some extravagant headgear.
P1110751.JPG

A cracking sunny day's cycling here in West Lanc's, the weather looks fair for the next few days as well,
15 degrees and sunny tomorrow, magic !
Nu-Fogey
pwa

Post by pwa »

Slightly embarrassingly, for a period of my life up to my mid twenties I had never seen a Mandarin Duck, and assumed it was a dish that had duck meat in an orange flavoured sauce! :lol:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Been to the bike jumble this morning :D .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went to the book exchange station, donated four books
Still have too many, mind :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Very busy weekend, no time to enjoy the sunshine on the bike thinks I :(

But, so nice early doors Mrs Tuesday and self took the tandem out for an hour before breakfast in glorious sunshine. 8)

Fab.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Enjoying a sunny meander around North Notts :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

A real cracking slow paced ride in beautiful sun on the Staffordshire lanes .... fantastic
robing

Post by robing »

Did 50 miles around the Chilterns today. Buzzards, Red Kites and skylarks were out in abundance. And saw a brimstone butterfly, which always look like they've been dipped in fluorescent paint! And not one close pass or incident all ride, something of a record.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Cheeky 10 mile detour into Peak District added to normal commute home. Glorious sunshine, wonderful views of Kinder Scout and the Cheshire plain.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Finally moved into our new home nr wythall, nearly flat countryside for miles around and no need to climb back up through Barnt Green and the Lickeys to get to home! Only trouble is, too busy unpacking/decorating etc. to get the bike out ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pwa wrote:Frogs are spawning in the next door neighbour's pond. A bit premature I think. I'll be surprised if winter does not have at least one more frost to come.

It might have been the hottest winter day ever (sic) but I had frost outside my place until gone nine this morning! :? Probably the same tomorrow with these clear skies failing to retain any of the days heat.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

I had a conversation today with a man who had been given a bike by a friend. He was just using it as a hack bike for local trips. Probably weighing a ton and not a great ride, but it took me back to my childhood. It was a Falcon Black Diamond like the one I had as a lad. Five speed, half chromed forks, gas pipe tubes, Shimano Tourney centre pull brakes (I remember Mafac on mine but could be wrong). It was in surprisingly good nick but the rusty chain made me wonder whether the bike will now be ridden into the ground with its new owner. I told him how old it was and I hope that makes him think about doing a bit of maintenance. But it's his, not mine.