A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: A positive thread

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Welsh vocab, Plus One! If a Coed got bigger it might keep its name instead of upgrading to 'Fforest'
Coed y Brenin, the Kingswood, near Dolgellau, for example
Saw two kiddies riding unicycles today, Plus Two!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Post by robing »

Lovely ride this morning, sunny throughout and no incidents. Not far from.home there is quite a nasty right turn from a main road on a hi!!.I saw an HGV behind going fairly slowly so I took primary to execute the right turn. He hung back so I put my arm up to acknowledge this. He acknowledged this with a toot on the horn once I'd turned off. Mutual respect and courtesy goes a long way.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just watched a fox stroll across the garage roof. Wonderful.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Wonderful ride over the Trough of Bowland on the tandem, excellently stoked by Mrs Tuesday.

Highlight a sighting of a weasel carrying her baby weasel in her mouth.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sat chatting to a biker in MacDonald half way through 60 ride trading lejog top trumps chopper Vs honda monkey bike!
33miles and he's done 5 miles on honda 125!

Cheers James
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I've noticed of late that car drivers seem to be much more respectful and better behaved on the road. Not crowding, not revving engines, and overtaking with a decent clearance. I always give the nice folk a cheery wave, spread the love and let them know that us cyclists are really lovely people.

Still get the normal hardcore twots, mainly white van neanderthal man and Audiots, but the general standard of behaviour has definitely improved in my experience. That seems very positive to me.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Awful sunny blue weather today, Minus One, doubtless lots of people are out cycling, driving, walking, Minus Two
I am lucky, went cycling yesterday, can stay at home today, cooking & reading, about 21oo the light outside is bearable, plan to go for a little walk to the book-exchange, Plus Three!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Awful sunny blue weather today, Minus One, doubtless lots of people are out cycling, driving, walking, Minus Two
I am lucky, went cycling yesterday, can stay at home today, cooking & reading, about 21oo the light outside is bearable, plan to go for a little walk to the book-exchange, Plus Three!

Are you familiar with the word "curmudgeon"? :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not yet, what is the welsh word please? Does it take one to know one? :wink:

Plus Four, weather should be back to normal tomorrow, shades of grey, my favourite colour
Now I am a gruntled curmudgeon, for the sun has just retreated behind the clouds
gaz

Post by gaz »

Front mudguard rattled apart yesterday. Fitted a replacement this afternoon, still not the same colour as the rear.

Also just bought a pre-loved CoolTool, I've been wanting another for a while now :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

gaz wrote:Front mudguard rattled apart yesterday. Fitted a replacement this afternoon, still not the same colour as the rear.

Also just bought a pre-loved CoolTool, I've been wanting another for a while now :D .

I still have my Cool Tool from all those years back. I don't use it much on the bike these days but I dig it out for jobs around the house where a very slim adjustable spanner is required. The neoprene bag is a bit shot now, though.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Changed the back wheel on my 'posh' bike, i now have a black wheel on the back and a white wheel on the front, its Yin and yang, 8)
Lance Dopestrong

A dead body was found in the local woods a couple of days ago. Reckoned to have been there for some years.

The positive bit is that it was right by a trail that I regularly use and I never found it.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'I do love work, I can watch it for hours' (Jerome K Jerome from Walsall, +1!)

Cycling home from work I saw some workpersons (6, all male) on the railway, apparently they had replaced some rotten wood sleepers, four of them were redistributing and cleaning the ballast with forks, no machines, two workpersons were checking the gauge (1435 mm)
Watched for five minutes, hopped back on my bike, crossed the track again later, heard and saw a roaring diesel shoving five coaches up the 1:200 :wink:
Lance Dopestrong

Stopped in a gate to a field on my morning ride today to discretely rearrange my vegetables, which were sitting uncomfortably in my padded tights, when I happened to glance down and spotted an Ordnance Survey bolt set into the ground. Just checked benchmarks.org and this one is not recorded on the database, so I'm feeling right pleased. Even better, it gives me a reason to ride back and take a photo and get the GPS coordinates.