A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
colin54

Re: A positive thread

Postby colin54 » 17 Jul 2020, 9:02am

Some recent wildlife encounters. A Terrapin and a field mouse (?) on the Rufford Branch of the Leeds & Liverpool canal. A Fallow Dear in a wood just over the hill from Skelmersdale, stood only about 15 metres from the road, quite unusual to get that close to one. They are normally in a herd and bolt if you get anywhere near. Lovely markings.
The mouse went stock still as I was pushing my bike along the towpath, but I just spotted it's movement in my eyeline. I imagine the Terrapin is a released or escapee pet, it was warming itself on a branch in the early morning sun before it eventually swam off, it was about 8inches (20cm long).
Nice to see things a little out of the ordinary whilst out and about.
P1130823.JPG

P1130985.JPG

P1130913.JPG

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jul 2020, 9:09am

Nice pics Colin :)
I'm seeing fallow and roe deer in the most unsual places which were slag heaps and brownfield sites when I was a yunk,all quite heartening in the post intustrial landscape :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 17 Jul 2020, 9:21am

reohn2 wrote:Nice pics Colin :)
I'm seeing fallow and roe deer in the most unsual places which were slag heaps and brownfield sites when I was a yunk,all quite heartening in the post intustrial landscape :D
Thanks John, these ones are mostly tucked away in old wooded quarry workings quarry off of Lees lane, I'm sure you've seen them yourself. It doesn't take long for nature to re-establish it's foothold in things once things become disused
does it.
I bet you were a handful when you were 'a yunk', is that Leigh lingo ?!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jul 2020, 9:31am

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Nice pics Colin :)
Thanks John, these ones are mostly tucked away in old wooded quarry workings quarry off of Lees lane, I'm sure you've seen them yourself. It doesn't take long for nature to re-establish it's foothold in things once things become disused
does it.

Not been up Lees Lane area for a while,but you're right once the industrial activity ceases the land rests and reforms back to it's nature

I bet you were a handful when you were 'a yunk', is that Leigh lingo ?!

Please Colin not Leigh,I don't associate with the riff raff,I'm a pure bread Wigginer :wink:
And I was a perfectly well behaved yunk I'll have you know :roll:
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 17 Jul 2020, 9:48am

The photos are very good, how did you get them? I need at least ten seconds to get my camera out, then it is too late

Did see a hare very close, and a badger for a moment
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

colin54

Postby colin54 » 17 Jul 2020, 9:57am

Cyril Haearn wrote:The photos are very good, how did you get them? I need at least ten seconds to get my camera out, then it is too late

Thanks, I keep my camera in the side pocket of a Carradice saddlebag so it's easily to hand, sometimes
I'm too slow when I've spotted something and the moment passes, luck of the
(quick) draw mostly.
Edit : Just to add, I think sometimes that carrying and using a camera, whilst making for some nice
memories, can take away from the just enjoying the moment itself.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 17 Jul 2020, 10:38am

reohn2 wrote:Please Colin not Leigh,I don't associate with the riff raff,I'm a pure bread Wigginer :wink:

My mistake r2, by way of 'umble apology, here's a Wiggin toon for you !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_cnZs_5Uqw

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jul 2020, 3:39pm

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Please Colin not Leigh,I don't associate with the riff raff,I'm a pure bread Wigginer :wink:

My mistake r2, by way of 'umble apology, here's a Wiggin toon for you !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_cnZs_5Uqw

Thanks fer tha' me owd fettler,they'l doo fer me them two :wink:

It reminds me of a chap I knew who was on Wiggin council parks commitee.The commitee felt that Mesnes Park(central park in Wiggin for the uninitiated)wasn't attracting enough people and were discussing what they could do about it.
The chap in question proposed that they buy "one of them theer gondolas" for the lake.
He was seconded by another member who proposed they should buy two and "ler um breed" :shock:
I cycle therefore I am.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 17 Jul 2020, 6:31pm

reohn2 wrote:The chap in question proposed that they buy "one of them theer gondolas" for the lake.
He was seconded by another member who proposed they should buy two and "ler um breed" :shock:

Think of all the little gondolings there could have been by now if they'd taken 'a punt' on the idea.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jul 2020, 8:18pm

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The chap in question proposed that they buy "one of them theer gondolas" for the lake.

Think of all the little gondolings there could have been by now if they'd taken 'a punt' on the idea.

:wink:
I cycle therefore I am.