A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: A positive thread

Post by pwa »

I managed to get out on the bike for a couple of hours this afternoon. The sky was grey but it wasn't too cold and the air was still. Streams of water crossing the lanes, drifts of gravel here and there, and mud. Lots of mud. Not much traffic on the lanes I use, but the odd vehicle I met was driven in a friendly way. A UPS van pulled over to wait for me at a point in the road where, with care, he/she might have passed me safely without stopping. He/she got the friendly wave of thanks.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love reading reviews of books, films, plays
Just read one about a play, most of it describes how the audience were hurrying off, collecting their coats impatiently
Right at the end the play is mentioned: the author confirmed her reputation as the worst best-selling author

Alfred Kerr, a theatre critic, wrote: "when I checked my watch at 10:00, it was only 8:30" :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 30 Jan 2018, 6:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Berlin is the future and it works

The 'House of One' will be built there, it is a 'church' that will be used by Jews, Muslims and Christians

+1 for religious tolerance!
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Today in West Lanc's,always nice to see the snowdrops, a gleam of light at the end

of winter's tunnel.
P1090373 (640x324).jpg

A strong following wind up the hills as well today,magic.
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+1 for the EU, it is encouraging people to drink tap water instead of buying bottled water (is that not just about the most senseless product one could think of?)
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Babysat my almost-2-year-old grandson last night, he wouldn't go to sleep in his cot but wanted to stay with grandad and nanny, half asleep though he was. Put "Peter Rabbit" on the box which calmed him down, but trying to switch to "In the night garden" resulted in a cry of "Abbit Gandad"! after about 3 hours or so I began to sympathise with "Mr MacGregor"!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went to an exhibition about animals in fairy stories, there were unicorns in the displays for the children to find
A little girl about 6 years old accosted me, a complete stranger, and showed me where she had found unicorn number 4 :D

Went cycling today, 8 000 metres, that is nearly an Everest :wink:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Last Friday I realised the lens on my unused mudguard mounted light/reflector was mostly missing. One small piece remained. I figured either it had been vandalised or I'd knocked it against the racks when parking up.

This evening I found it, lying beside the path at a level crossing on one of my occasionally used routes home. I'll have a go at glueing it back together :) .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

People are so kind..
Went for a rare trip in my motor vehicle, parked it for four hours, when I got back in the dark the locks were frozen
Called at the nearest house, asked for some hot water, got some, freed the locks, then I was invited in for homemade cakes and tea and lots of talk :o
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Several months after the election a new government should be formed soon in Germany
A newspaper speculated on who might be in the cabinet: maybe nine females and six males, +3!

Ms Merkel is still in charge
Ms Nahles could be her successor. She was asked at school: "what do you want to be when you grow up?"
-"housewife or Bundeskanzlerin!" she replied
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

"housewife or Bundeskanzlerin!"

The two most influential positions in her country, that's what I call aiming high.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rmurphy195 wrote:Babysat my almost-2-year-old grandson last night, he wouldn't go to sleep in his cot but wanted to stay with grandad and nanny, half asleep though he was. Put "Peter Rabbit" on the box which calmed him down, but trying to switch to "In the night garden" resulted in a cry of "Abbit Gandad"! after about 3 hours or so I began to sympathise with "Mr MacGregor"!

Another coincidence, I was in a secondhand bookshop yesterday, found a copy of Peter Rabbit in Welsh, it is quite easy to read, you could try that :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My vehicle failed the roadworthiness test, I wanted to go car-free but I have bought a vehicle as I may need to travel for work
I chose the smallest car I could find. It has four seats, mind, and a tiny boot, and it turns on a sixpence (is that phrase still current?) :wink:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Had a buzzard glide across no more than 10 metres in front of me op the ride to work this morning, then perch so I could get a good look. Majestic birds, buzzards.

Then no more than 1/2 mile later, a bullfinch did the same, the most beautiful small bird in Britain for my money.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I saw a tiny bird like a bullfinch, speckled, climbing up a tree a bit like a woodpecker does
What might that have been?