A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: A positive thread

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did two good deeds today, saw a bike falling over as I walked past, I righted it
And helped an old lady by holding a door open
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

November, the best cycling month, not yet too cold and dark, starts soon!
(alternative facts welcome)

PS - I want to be ubiquitous on this thread :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Maybe the wrong thread, but we can't let Cyril Haearn hog the thread.

Fitted my son's hack bike with SKS chromoplastic guards yesterday. 26inch 55mm wide, silver. The fitting was a work of art, with little extra touches all over the place to make the guards as well fitted as humanly possible. Stays trimmed and ends filed. All centred and with an even gap between tyre and guard. I needed more washers than SKS provided, and surprisingly their own bolts now have very soft, easily rounded hexes, so I subbed a few of my own. But the end result is classy and should be rattle free for many miles. Made me feel good.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just got back from Wales, did quite a lot of walking, went on the beach at low tide, cycled along the coast to Conwy, visited the Smallest House and Castell Conwy. Originally it was painted white with *Snowcem*, many of the towers may be ascended and one may go on the town walls for free
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

First ride after the change to winter time

Went to the cinema to see a *particularly bad film* (that could be a recommendation)

I love going outside to cycle home, it may be cold but usually I am warmed up before I arrive. If not I just go a longer way to add a few kms
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Almost the perfect temperature this morning - not so cold as to actually make me cold (although my fingers were chilly for a few miles) but cool enough to stop me getting hot.

3-5 degrees... Long may it last (I suspect of course that the homeward commute will be several degrees hotter...)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Post by gaz »

First all dark homeward commute of the year. Spotted an owl.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did another good deed this evening

There was a jam of motors on the road out of town. I pressed the button at the lights a couple of times to delay them a bit more
pwa

Post by pwa »

I did a nice 30 mile ride this afternoon, mostly on quiet roads and lanes. The bike seemed to roll very easily for some reason. I risked bare arms and it turned out to be a good decision. I felt quite warm. Bare fingers too.

As I entered Cowbridge a grey haired man pulled out of a driveway on a road bike and as he passed me (going the other way) I recognised his craggy features. JPR Williams, 1970s Welsh rugby star. He lives locally.

I took a risk by going down a particularly narrow lane that is mostly used by tractors and can be very muddy sometimes. It was caked in clay over several hundred metres of descent, and the back wheel slipped out of line a few times. But for me that is part of the "colour" of lanes, making them interesting. The hedges along that lane had been recently cut but very little of the debris was on the road.

Another part of the ride was along the edge of Hensol Forest, an area where, according to the local papers, a black dog has recently killed more than 30 sheep. I don't understand people who let their dogs do that.

But I arrived home feeling glad that I had made the effort and gone out on the bike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went to a free museum again today, photos from 1989, a very special year
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Next month the days will start getting longer

Mind, it will get colder for a while after that
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Next month the days will start getting longer

More so where you are. It'll stay relatively balmy down here on the South Wales coast. Last winter we had very little frost and no snow.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Next month the days will start getting longer

More so where you are. It'll stay relatively balmy down here on the South Wales coast. Last winter we had very little frost and no snow.

Looks like we are playing ping-pong here :wink: On my profile *Brexit* has the most posts, I want it to be *positive*!

I think no-one knows how the weather will be, or the climate, even on the Welsh Riviera. Mind, there was a lot of snow by Penmaenmawr a few years ago. Many of the wild horses died. The strong and lucky ones survived and had more foals. Glad I am not a horse mind
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I heard of an old breeder of mountain ponies who used to turn hers out to run wild on the mountain in the winter. She said that the ones still there in the Spring were mountain ponies. That's selective breeding at its most Darwinian.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

November is a great time for walking too, I love the subdued browns, greys and greens