A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gaz

Re: A positive thread

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote:Saw a nice n+1 on the local facebay today. Very practical bike, unsuitable for me but I'd still love to have it.

It's on ebay now, at half the price. Decisions, decisions.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

L&L canal morning:-
Not a breath,did the wind say
A Jay,a butterfly,and a Kingfisher flew my way,
In a clear blue sky,
My,Oh my.......
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Feb 2019, 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today I was overtaken by a huge articulated lorry. He gave me a wide birth and then indicated he was coming back over, after a generous distance.
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

I went out by bike to run an errand, dropping off a form, this morning - about a 13 mile round trip. I got wet & my legs weren't feeling the love on the long uphill drag into a headwind on the way home. I then got home to discover my glasses were missing, inadvertently dropped getting the above mentioned form out of my back pocket, which meant a return trip. I confess that I cheated & took the car!

The upside was that, if I hadn't had to go back to get my glasses, I wouldn't have seen the guy pedalling in the opposite direction round Bolton's ring road astride a penny farthing! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I go for a walk in the lunchbreak, went to the cycleway to kick away sticks blown onto it by the wind, there were not many but I realised the path was narrower than it should have been, there was a strip of skaggy mess at the edge
I scraped the clag away with my shoes to increase space and safety for cyclists
I do like being useful

What do you do in the lunchbreak?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I go for a walk in the lunchbreak, went to the cycleway to kick away sticks blown onto it by the wind, there were not many but I realised the path was narrower than it should have been, there was a strip of skaggy mess at the edge
I scraped the clag away with my shoes to increase space and safety for cyclists
I do like being useful

What do you do in the lunchbreak?

Have lunch.

This often involves a conversation with the ladywife concerning not just the lunch but also various matters requiring analysis, synthesis and a consequent action. Sometimes these matters revolve around our belief that we own Fforest Brechfa, as we rarely see anyone else in it when we walk anything up to the ten miles a day with the collies. As responsible owners, we have continued the litter picking we used to do over 15 or so miles of the Lancaster Canal when we lived next to it so ran the collies there ....... although Fforest Brechfa has very little litter indeed. A few beer bottles and crisp bags where younger folk have drived to park & canoodle, I suspect.

Someone else improves things for the cyclists in the fforest. There are many well-maintained MTB tracks as well as the immense number of gravel road loops. Often we see large trees fallen across a track, usually gone by the time we go to that bit again a few days later. I believe there are fforest ffaerie ffolk who do the clearing up, although they disguise themselves as big rough Welsh blokes with chainsaws, arriving in 4 wheel drive trucks. One glimpses them only from far away, as they scuttle here and there inspecting the place for tree litter.

But what is it that you are lunch-breaking from? I do vaguely recall a time when I had to perform seemingly irrational acts known as "work" (spit) but it was so long ago now.........

Cugel, about to eat another lotus.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am ashamed to admit to working in 'logistics', that covers a multitude of sins, I am the only one who goes for a walk at lunchtime, is that normal?

Is 'Coed Brechfa' correct, or 'Fforest', or both?

You mentioned one of those bilingual Brechfapersons enthusing about conifers, what exactly were his/her arguments?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Lunch break. Haven't had one for many years, so the concept is but a distant memory.

These days I guess it takes place anyone between 10.00 and 15.00hrs. Usually in the garden, in the kitchen or on a hillside, usually involving watching birds.
John
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Grandaughter's first steps - walked her down the drive the other day, holding hands. A wonderful milestone.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am ashamed to admit to working in 'logistics', that covers a multitude of sins, I am the only one who goes for a walk at lunchtime, is that normal?

You mentioned one of those bilingual Brechfapersons enthusing about conifers, what exactly were his/her arguments?

All the maps say "Fforest Brechfa". I believe a coed (woodland area) is a smaller thing albeit larger than a copse.

The arguments offered for the evergreen preponderance of Fforest Brechfa included:

There would be no fforest at all if the timber were deciduous as it's too slow growing and there is far less commercial demand for it these days, especially at the higher prices that longer gestation would cause. Better some kind of fforest than more moorland with a few sheep on it or a loada chinless wonders shooting tame pheasants and burning heather.

The commercial activity of an evergreen fforest is relatively frequent or even constant in a large fforest like Brechfa, so the fforest gravel roads are always maintained so that the Big Machines and log wagons can get in and out. These tracks also provide wunnerful walking and cycling and horse riding and even dirt biking, since the roads are there but very little used except in the bit currently being logged.

These days the evergreen parts are enhanced with an amount of strategically-placed deciduous and even wild growth areas, typically along the fforest track-sides and the many water courses. This provides a very good (and largely undisturbed) habitat for many beasts of every size and type, which the evergreen parts tend not to. Commercial bit supports non-commercial bit.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for thread resurrection, I do it occasionally
If I want a laugh I post a Clean Joke, soon enough others post there too :wink:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Shorts weather today :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I am ashamed to admit to working in 'logistics', that covers a multitude of sins, I am the only one who goes for a walk at lunchtime, is that normal?

All the maps say "Fforest Brechfa". I believe a coed (woodland area) is a smaller thing albeit larger than a copse.

The arguments offered for the evergreen preponderance of Fforest Brechfa included:

There would be no fforest at all if the timber were deciduous as it's too slow growing and there is far less commercial demand for it these days, especially at the higher prices that longer gestation would cause. Better some kind of fforest than more moorland with a few sheep on it or a loada chinless wonders shooting tame pheasants and burning heather.

The commercial activity of an evergreen fforest is relatively frequent or even constant in a large fforest like Brechfa, so the fforest gravel roads are always maintained so that the Big Machines and log wagons can get in and out. These tracks also provide wunnerful walking and cycling and horse riding and even dirt biking, since the roads are there but very little used except in the bit currently being logged.

These days the evergreen parts are enhanced with an amount of strategically-placed deciduous and even wild growth areas, typically along the fforest track-sides and the many water courses. This provides a very good (and largely undisturbed) habitat for many beasts of every size and type, which the evergreen parts tend not to. Commercial bit supports non-commercial bit.

Cugel
A copse is a woodland that is coppiced - hence the name. Nothing to do with size.
There are many words for woodland in English, such was the importance of wood, but forest isn't one of them even though it may be good to cycle on, over or in one. :wink:
I don't know how many words for woodland there are in Welsh. Fforrest - a borrowed English word or not?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I saw this pair sauntering down the road whilst out on a ride the other day, the peahen was following the
peacock at a distance and emitted a call like a kazoo when she couldn't see it, tropical West Lanc's

P1110837.JPG
P1110832.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

MikeF wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel
A copse is a woodland that is coppiced - hence the name. Nothing to do with size.
There are many words for woodland in English, such was the importance of wood, but forest isn't one of them even though it may be good to cycle on, over or in one. :wink:
I don't know how many words for woodland there are in Welsh. Fforrest - a borrowed English word or not?

The etymology of "copse" is as you say but there's a modern usage that means "a small bit of woodland". Perhaps many coppiced bits of woodland became small, being the preserved (because useful) remnant of a bigger woodland area? Those coppiced woodlands I know in Cumbria are all just small woods (sometimes very small).

Fforest Brechfa also goes by Coedwig Brechfa. Coed usually means "wood" as in trees. Wig isn't a Welsh word of itself, as far as I can discover, but seems(amongst other things) to indicate a cap or top-growth when part of other words. Perhaps Coedwig is a forest on a hill or hills? Many Welsh fforests seem to be a series of connected wooded hills. Brechfa is like that. Perhaps "wig" is also an English word adopted from the Welsh?

Fforest isn't listed in many Welsh dictionaries as a Welsh word so probably is from the English. The extra "f" is needed to keep the pronunciation as "forest" rather than "vorest".

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes