A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: A positive thread

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote:When you coming around to mine?

Hang on,this is s'posed to be a positive thread :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

I've found the solution to the funding crisis :D .
DSCN0761.JPG

It's underneath the short pylon. Setting off with my shovel tomorrow :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:I've found the solution to the funding crisis :D .
DSCN0761.JPG
It's underneath the short pylon. Setting off with my shovel tomorrow :wink: .

It's a crock of or a sort of pylon of something.
I reckon a shovel will be needed :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

A positive event

Post by tykeboy2003 »

After my close pass from a police squad car last week, on the same road but at the "Clock Island" with the A511, I saw a vehicle approach me from behind in my mirror, I set off across the island to take the 3rd exit which has a pelican crossing immediately off the island. Said vehicle stayed behind me till after the end of the zig-zags before passing me with plenty of clearance. The vehicle turned out to be a Police Van. Well done.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm off to the inaugural meeting of the Touring Cyclists club ... should be a fun day out ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I just started a new job, I have to drive there.

Until recently I cycled to work through the town. But after a week driving to work I was motivated to go for a proper cycle ride out in the country on Saturday, sneaked out of town along the canal, enjoyed the November grey weather and did almost as many kilometers in a day as I did before in a week, got pleasantly tired. Enjoyed schadenfreude too as I rode past the busy town centre.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Wonderful rust orange full moon rising on the commute home, and Venus sparkling in the other direction too.

Plus, only four more commutes until winter solstice.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

BrianFox wrote:Wonderful rust orange full moon rising on the commute home, and Venus sparkling in the other direction too.

Plus, only four more commutes until winter solstice.

+1
gaz

Post by gaz »

Yes, fantastic moonlit commute home. Reflections off of ponds and ditches that run through the fields were wonderful.

Chose the quietest way home to enjoy the spectacle for as long as I could :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
robert_obrien

Post by robert_obrien »

When I need cheering up I visit one of the local outlets which operate an 'honesty box' system to sell their produce...

Apples from Blackmoor Apple Farm near Bordon, Hampshire - a few different types but Monday to Friday only - £3.50 for a big bag
Watercress from 'Parrotts' just off the A30 at Mapledurwell, near Odiham - £2 for three bunches

...something life-affirming abut the transaction and if you park 'nearby' you can fit in a quick spin.

Any other recommendations in the Surrey / Hampshire borders?
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Pleasant journey along canal into Birmingham centre from the south this morning - mist, mirror-like water - looked great! Lots of people saying hello, only spoilt by a trio of nose-tail cyclists disregarding everyone on the return journey - oops, sorry, offtopic.

Lovely old guy on mobility scooter, complete with dog - both equipped with flashing LED bike lights!

Lots of elderly people managing a walk in the mist and damp - keeping fit even with walking sticks/shoulders to lean on/zimmer frames etc.

And a few elderly people (like me!) on bikes.

Even managed a nice mug of hot coffee and a thaw-out in the ICC - being discrete (complete with bike) on a quiet day attracted no attention. Maybe carrying it over the carpeted bits helped!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Visited Moseley Old Hall yesterday (NT nr Wolverhampton) - first time we've had marshmallows cooked (=burnt!) over an open bonfire, the a bit of Wassailing to wake up the apple trees!

Worth popping along if you are in the area tomorrow, you could have a go too!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Graham

Post by Graham »

I heard a couple of skylarks this afternoon and saw one of them way up above me.
This is a delight that I normally associate with summer.

The Crossley ID Guide wrote:Skylark :
Celebrated open-country bird famous for its glorious song that cascades down from the sky : the singer itself often invisible high up.
. . . .
Song : ecstatic, shrill, continuous.

Try the audio here
ragudave

Post by ragudave »

First morning cycle to nursery this year without the lights on. Lots of wind behind us that blew the tag a long and my mtb down the road. A joy and the wee one saw a bin lorry which made her day.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:Now that the Postcrete is set it is a bit late to do anything about it, but I do want to avoid the label "installer of wonky signs".

Good news. It is level and hasn't moved.

Great, but have they banked the Postcrete up above ground level to stop the legs rotting through in no time flat? (well, a couple of years)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.