A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Re: A positive thread

Post by al_yrpal »

Well done R2.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bumped today by the driver of a car.

I stopped behind a queue of stationary traffic, following car wasn't brought to a halt quite fast enough. No harm to me, nor the bike, nor the trailer; just a bit of a nudge.

Driver looked terribly embarassed.

DSCN0144.JPG

SMIDSY, despite my wearing hi-vis (to EN471).

No harm done, didn't let it spoil my day. A positive in my book.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
531colin

Post by 531colin »

reohn2 wrote:Mrs R2 and I rode the tandem yesterday for the first time in 8months due to her illness,and the first time I've ridden for three months since a heart attack.
9miles flat miles of fun up and down Morecambe prom,in the sunshine.
It felt very good :)

R2, I had no idea! I wish you both the best possible outcome.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks everyone for you concern which is another positive :) ,I'm touched by by it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I went out yesterday; There was no wind , it was sunny, I saw my first spring lambs, most of the other cyclists I saw gave a cheery wave and I found a little shop

that sold a nice cuppa and a good pork pie;( a source of much concern since moving to Lancashire from Pieland ),that'll do me.

Likewise best wishes for your recovery reohn2 ; me Vittoria Randonneur Pro's were pretty good yesterday as well !
Nu-Fogey
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

A while back, I was struggling up Cheddar George, quite a climb, my son having long since disappeared ahead when I was aware of a car slowly overtaking me - at a safe distance. As it became level I glanced across and was confronted by a car load of very cheerful young women who lent out of the windows and called out "come on - nearly there - well done" etc.
Difficult to smile when you are completely knackered but it put a big smile on my face for the rest of the ride. :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:Mrs R2 and I rode the tandem yesterday for the first time in 8months due to her illness,and the first time I've ridden for three months since a heart attack.
9miles flat miles of fun up and down Morecambe prom,in the sunshine.
It felt very good :)

I'm gald to hear that you are both out & about :D :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PhilPub

Post by PhilPub »

Gentle winds seem to be a rare occurrence at the moment, and worthy of positive note. A very pleasant ride in the Kent countryside this afternoon, nothing but positive interactions with other road users, and I stopped to say hello to this chap. (Terry??)

Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I had another nice pleasant and seemingly warmer ride to Haigh Hall today. Most of the 21 miles was done minus my rain jacket which was refreshing. 40mph on the big long downhill too :mrgreen:
Attachments
Aargh muck on my bike!
Aargh muck on my bike!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Needed to get some new brake cables (inners and outers) for my recumbent trike as at least one was sticking. Went to one of the better LBSs, steeling myself for the inevitable LBS "what's it for" question as inexplicably when it turns out to be something that isn't a road bike or MTB I get a lecture on how rubbish my steed is or the cold shoulder (usually I just make something up). Instead when I got the question the proprietor got excited to hear the answer and whipped out his mobile to show me one he was thinking of buying himself. :D

Not only that but he had exactly what I was looking for and as a plus my trike now goes faster than before (think one hub brake must have been dragging)! :D :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Went to my first cycle jumble yesterday. Chance to chat to a few old friends, nice cup of tea and I got some NOS shoes that fit nicely. Good ride there and back too :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Nice ride out this morning.
Sun shining, but cold... it is winter .. just.
Grandsons 12th birthday. :D
Wobbled around Thurcroft, Dinnington, North Anston and home... only 14 miles...
Did my 34 mile hilly route yesterday. Slowly.
Had a lovely ride out Wednesday and Friday afternoon as well ... in sunshine, same 22 mile route.
And I work full time !!!
:)
Huzzah! Don't you just love shift work !!!!!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

After breakfast of porridge (made with water, no salt, no sugar, no milk) and suitably attired at 60 for the cold weather, set off for the Wolds. Took in a few hills, Worsen Dale out of Bishop Wilton pushing my heart rate higher than I thought it went, lots of cyclists out, everyone friendly, good to see increasing numbers of women on the road. Lunch at Seaways at Fridaythorpe, queuing out the door, more cyclists rubbing shoulders with the usual motor bikers who come here. Conversation with a group from Hull, recceing a route before an event next week. Prompt service and excellent value. Warmed up again by taking some of the steep ups and downs to Thixendale and then the lovely pull up Water Dale, obviously going well (remember, the wind is either against you or your're going well ..) to one of the best views, looking north west to the North York Moors and beyond, not forgetting to sit on the crossbar (good Italian steel). Can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing than simply being out on a bike on a day like this.

20160228_134225.jpg
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:Went to my first cycle jumble yesterday. Chance to chat to a few old friends, nice cup of tea and I got some NOS shoes that fit nicely. Good ride there and back too :D .

I miss the cycle jumbles! The only bad thing about Norway. No cycle jumbles. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Graham

Post by Graham »

A few days ago we had a "South Downs Voluntary Rangers" task, hedge-planting on a farm.

Instead, I sneaked away with my litter-picker and plastic bags to litter-pick my way along (nearby) Bunns Lane and some of Hoe Lane. [ Hoe Gate, Hipley, Hambledon area ]

Bunns Lane / Hoe Lane are a very pleasant lane that run south-north between the crowded suburban areas to the south and the glorious Hampshire countryside to the north - and into the National Park.
A very nice, cycling-friendly lane.
Up until recently it has remained relatively undiscovered by motorists and it has remained virtually litter-free.
Alas, the tidal-wave of disfiguring litter has begun to spoil this gem ( as indeed many other quiet lanes ).

So I have fixed it - for the moment. Enjoy it while you can.

PS. I went back the following day, by bike, to get the bits I missed first time round. ( I always miss bits. )

BunnsLaneTidy.jpg