A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: A positive thread

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went to a talk about woodland management
*We are lazy, so we only plant indigenous trees* explained the expert
Exotic trees always make more work, either they are successful and force out the indigenous trees, or they do not grow strongly and have to be cared for
Looks like nature knows best
+1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

It feels more like a mild autumn than winter today. Cool, misty and a hint of dampness, but not really cold. I have a few days off work and fully intend heading off down the lanes on the bike.

A couple of days ago I took my Mum to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend to have an X-Ray. Something related to the pacemaker she had fitted a couple of months back. It was a drop-in surgery with no set appointments, so I was expecting a long queue and hours of boredom. But we were in and out in about 15 minutes. The staff, as always, were excellent.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went for a walk in the grey woods, hardly anyone about, home through the cemetery, very peaceful
Homemade lentil soup for tea
Someone told me it might be quicker to buy tinned soup, is there such a thing?
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Just back from a 20 mile ride to ring the bells for carol service, going to light wood burner and open the wine :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brynpoeths post reminded me of when I bought my first digital camera - a compact, quite a few years back (A Pentax Option A20, 10mp). Hooked it onto my belt one morning in Spring, lambing time, nice sunny day , and went for my usual Sunday morning ride. Came back with 70+ images and no hang-ups about running out of film or battery. Haven't looked back, take it to all sorts of places on the bike, hooked to my belt. Very handy.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Didn't go cycling today, went for a long walk in the dark
Saw a safety camera pillar flash :D, thought *never seen that before!*, but I think I have seen it before but so long ago that I had almost forgotten
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rmurphy195 wrote:Brynpoeths post reminded me of when I bought my first digital camera - a compact, quite a few years back (A Pentax Option A20, 10mp). Hooked it onto my belt one morning in Spring, lambing time, nice sunny day , and went for my usual Sunday morning ride. Came back with 70+ images and no hang-ups about running out of film or battery. Haven't looked back, take it to all sorts of places on the bike, hooked to my belt. Very handy.

There is a plusminus mind, one takes so many pictures, the memory is soon full and one needs to spend time deleting the pictures that are not so good
The advice from the roll-film days still applies: one should discard most of the photos, then people will be impressed when they are shown a handful of good *images*
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I went up the local mountain yesterday (251m, call it a hill if you prefer). Aside from the highland views I saw a couple of herds of deer, two owls and a load of icicles (which got me wondering, what do you call it when two icicles are stuck together?), and my ageing 'phone camera managed to hold out for all the important shots - including me doing a handstand on the top in honour of my nephew (it's a tradition of his). I slid part of the way down in the snow, then tried a different route back, following a track the local deer had kindly marked across the bog.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycling - of course, but it's far better on a Gillott :D

I always go out on my old Gillott (59" fixed) on 1.1

Only did 7 kms, picked a few berries, stopped to read awhile

+1 for riding fixed again, did not have to re-learn after 364 days
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

So I went to an exhibition about traditional life in Africa, the Nuna and Kassena tribes in the 1950s

The ethnologist noted that the tribespeople had no horses :?

There was no need for horses because it was a time of peace. Besides, they had bicycles. And no motors yet :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love visiting old (or new) churches when cycling (or when not cycling)

Even if the building is locked one may often shelter from the sun in the porch, often the building is not locked, or one may collect the key nearby, inside is dark and cool and smells good

With luck one may even ascend the tower

Philip Larkin wrote a poem, Church Going
.. Hatless, I take off my cycle-clips in awkward reverence..

I have a booklet about Herefordshire churches, 200 are listed but some modern ones are not mentioned. I understand it is even worse/better in Norfolk, it would be a feat to visit them all

PS
This post was prompted by gloomyandy's account of visiting a church service in the Western Isles
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do love visiting old (or new) churches when cycling (or when not cycling). . . . .

There used to be a series ride leaflets around the West Midlands, one of which was "Five Churches" or somesuch. If you can find an equivalent for your area that might be interesting. Or maybe google "Church Ride and Stride".
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love the *save draft* function on these fora
It enables me to formulate my thoughts and wait a while, maybe I edit the text several times before responding to a challenge :wink:
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Here's part of my morning commute:
Reay_AM.JPG
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do love visiting old (or new) churches when cycling (or when not cycling)

I keep thinking about a tour of stave churches in Norway. I've been to a couple and find them quite interesting. I like visiting churches, too, though I don't especially like going to services, and I find the big cathedrals, like York Minster, a bit over the top.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom