A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rmurphy195

Re: A positive thread

Post by rmurphy195 »

Spotted this thread, that's a positive for a start!

Had a wizz up and down the Manifold trail on the brommie one sunny day last week, in the sunshine, listening to the birds and, on the way back, the local hunt. And some spring lambs.

Flask and sarnies to hand of course.

Magic!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Received the compensation cheque for being knocked off the bike last year - almost a year ago to the day! I can now afford to pay for the replacement bike I bought - yay!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ragudave

Post by ragudave »

Our wee toddler now seems warmer and cosier than us when we cycle to the local playpark. Her rosy cheeks and observational skills get highened as well. She also wants to watch cycling vides on youtube and vimeo..

Dave
gaz

Post by gaz »

Fantastic sunset this evening.

Even though I was heading east I was greeted by fiery orange reflections on the tops of silver birch trees. Made me pause and take a look back to see it in its full glory.

Reflections faded slowly into softer pinks and darker purples as I carried on towards home.

Ain't nature wonderful.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
groberts

Post by groberts »

Since a TKR operation nearly a year ago and returning to cycling last August, I have been restricted to local / flat / short rides on my Airnimal Joey. At all times cycling again has felt more uplifting, despite the restricted mileage, I'm just grateful to be on the bike again. Finally this Monday I managed 15 miles on my main Audax bike. I like the Joey but by comparison the Aduax just flew along and it was a pleasure to be properly back on the road.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

groberts wrote:Since a TKR operation nearly a year ago and returning to cycling last August, I have been restricted to local / flat / short rides on my Airnimal Joey. At all times cycling again has felt more uplifting, despite the restricted mileage, I'm just grateful to be on the bike again. Finally this Monday I managed 15 miles on my main Audax bike. I like the Joey but by comparison the Aduax just flew along and it was a pleasure to be properly back on the road.

Had a look at your blog page - totally agree about Neufchatel cheese - to the extent that if we are travelling that way we divert into Neiufchatel-en-Bray to buy some! Better still, I found some in my local Marks and Sparks yesterday - the one in Longbridge with a covered bike park by the side entrance (in the multi-storey)
pwa

Post by pwa »

It's 7.45am and I've just got back from dropping my wife off at the school where she teaches. She goes in early to prepare stuff. She's psychologically preparing herself for a resumption of her cycling to work, which she did for much of last year. The sun is out today, and on the four mile drive to Bridgend I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people cycling, presumably to work. I cycled to work on that road at that time of day for about 18 years and I was mostly the only cyclist out there. It really seems to have picked up. It's starting to look like a normal thing to do. I found that road quite pleasant at that time of day. A rural road going in to Bridgend. I'm glad that cycling to work seems to have taken off here.
groberts

Post by groberts »

rmurphy195 wrote:Had a look at your blog page - totally agree about Neufchatel cheese - to the extent that if we are travelling that way we divert into Neiufchatel-en-Bray to buy some! Better still, I found some in my local Marks and Sparks yesterday - the one in Longbridge with a covered bike park by the side entrance (in the multi-storey)

Neufchatel cheese, now you're talking positive! I will certainly take a look at M&S asap, thanks for the advice.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My bike's working again! Woohoo!

Setting off just after 11 this morning into gorgeous sunshine I'd planned on just going to Haigh Hall and home again. No real energy today. But, on passing through Wigan Golf Course, I decided to jump onto the L&L and pootled along up to Limbrick. Had a chat with some gentleman who'd remarked on how nice the bike was :mrgreen:
From there I went up Back Lane (how many lanes are named "Back Lane" in this country??? There seems to be loads!) to Rivington and then I climbed up Sheep House Lane. I might have even hit 4mph at one point. Halfway up my glucose levels plummeted (Booo) and had to sit on my rear end at a disused farm and chomped through some of the contents of my 'Anti-Hypo-Stash' pocket on the Pendle. When I felt better I decided that the rest of the ride could be done in mitts. It just so happens that I keep a pair in the same Pendle. You never know!
Onto Belmont Road for a bit before taking Scout Road back into the moors and down through Moss Bank Park and Heaton Cemetery to home.
Only one crap pass during the whole 29 mile ride :)
And in about 20 mins my girls will be here :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Sun's out, it was defo milder today, the Daffs are not far off being in full glory..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gaz

Post by gaz »

Spring!
DSCN0151a.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Out on the Brompton this morning. Cheated - took it over to Earlswood in the car, in case I had to wizz back. Had to stop and check a message on my Mobile - and a group of roadies went past.

Did I get ribald remarks - No. Did I get deafed - Nope. A chorus of "OK mate" and "Need any help" Yay. Then another group - the same. Double Yay!!

Why did I have to check my mobile? - First grandson arrived today ... add a :D or two!

I just love this thread ...

Now to have some (Neufchatel) cheese and crackers ...
HoratioWondersocks

Post by HoratioWondersocks »

Hello
Nice to see this positive thread.
Sundays is my ritual no beer and check the forums in the evening day,unfortunately recently I have become a little apprehensive at the prospect.
So many posts about crashes, deaths, conflict and the generally horrible behaviour of car and lorry drivers. (A sad reality I know), but it's getting to the state were i have become more and more apprehensive as i think about a ride out that ,I am increasingly modifying my routes and will use cycleways, pathways etc etc anything to get of the road.(mountain biking doesn't appeal I am afraid, although I find MBikers to be a friendly bunch)
I do have to say that on the whole I find that car drivers are pretty good ,courteous and patient, if for instance I happen to be puffing and huffing up a hill and drivers behind wait patiently to pass ,in these circumstances I always give a wave or thumbs up ,and it's often reciprocated .
My problem is if I do happen to have a run in with a driver who is not of the latter description, its often my own behaviour as well there's, which comes in the heat of the moment (that old devil called adrenalin )that afterwoods leaves me feeling somewhat shamefaced ,drained and unsettled, I am to old for all this stuff and it can completely spoil what otherwise has been a good ride (even if the fault was the drivers)
Anyways as this is a positive thread, and as a way to avoid such woes ,as I mentioned earlier, I have been slowly converting a lot of my routes to pavements (not in towns or in an anti social manner )and cycle paths (there are lots out there ) footpaths ( I walk and push bike) ,not everybody's cup of tea I know ,but i enjoy it and a bit of walking also gives another muscle group some exercise as well ,and as I am in well into early old codgerhood this is no bad thing.
So in summary perhaps I should thank car drivers for having given me a new angle on cycling :D and this idea of positive cycling tales is a good idea too.
Spring was definitely in the air this weekend and that is most excellently positive positivness of the finest niceness.
I apologise if this post contained some none positive comments ,but good things HAVE and continue hopefully to come from some not so good experiences.

Cheers Andy
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I found a way to mount the kickstand! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's early days but frankly I think drivers are a bit more courteous than a couple of years ago. Yes, there are plenty of impatient idiots out there, but nevertheless...

Interestingly it seems to be the over 55's who are worst. Young lads in hopped-up hatchbacks always seem to give me plenty of space.