A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk

Re: A positive thread

Post by Jdsk »

Lynx?

Jonathan
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I have been puzzling over the last few days trying to work out how to fit my disc brake rotors onto some new wheels (it's part of my new bike build project). I had to admit defeat as none of my tools would fit on the securing ring (long boring technical description can be provided on request). So, reluctantly had to admit defeat and take the wheels and rotors to my local LBS (Owen's Petersfield, if you are interested). Whilst waiting outside the shop I spoke to three ladies who had just picked up hired ebikes form the shop and wanted to know the best way for cyclists to get from there onto the Southdowns way, so I was able to provide directions for them, it looked like they were going to have a nice ride. The bike shop fitted my rotors while I waited so I didn't have to make the return trip to pick them up later.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The latest "lockdown" comes into force across the whole of Wales on Friday and lasts for 17 days, and it limits all travel to what is essential except for certian things, and one of those things is exercise. And here is the good news. Whilst your exercise must begin and end at your home (so no driving to it) it can be for any distance and any duration. No overnight stays elsewhere, but day rides as long as you like. Simple. And simple is what I like.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for simple, generally!
Autumn, the best cycling season
In summer all the trees are uniform green, now they are yellow, brown, different greens, much more interesting (bit not simple? :wink:)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Met up with both son and daughter for a short socially-distanced ride around local lanes this afternoon in the sunshine for first time ever. Magic, and the sun shone for us as well! (Both grown-up with children of theier own, so having all of all 3 familes together is too much of a risk, even without the restrictions.)

PS having just turned 70 I never envisaged, 30 years ago, that my health would be good enough for something like this to be possible
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went for a cycle ride, just for fun
Not so many other cyclists about, +1
Climbed two towers, +2
Lovely light and colours on the way home, fortunately my camera battery was empty so I could not stop to take pictures, that wastes so much time, +3
Found and ate a ripe banana, +4
Got a couple of books from the Little Free Library, +5
An extra hour sleep tonight, +6
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote:Lynx?

Jonathan

I went into the shop this is parked outside of today, the chap in there told me it's a Merlin (Augusta Westland AW101), the same sort used in the operation in the channel recently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AgustaWes ... Royal_Navy
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Blast: I'm slipping.

: - )

Thanks

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Went for a cycle ride, just for fun
Not so many other cyclists about, +1
Climbed two towers, +2
Lovely light and colours on the way home, fortunately my camera battery was empty so I could not stop to take pictures, that wastes so much time, +3
Found and ate a ripe banana, +4
Got a couple of books from the Little Free Library, +5
An extra hour sleep tonight, +6

at the side of the road ?

I once seen the remains of a fish supper jettisoned out of a car window - I had been on a long ride, still miles from home.... I just couldn't let it go to waste (it was long before covid)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The small ripe banana was on the deck of a bridge on the cycleway, not squashed, could not have lain there long
Should I have tried to identify the rightful owner, chased after them?

I did wonder too if I should have handed it in to the cops, but I just ate it :wink:
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I saw this field full of swans yesterday, an impressive and noisy sight.
P1140912.JPG

P1140926.JPG
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Proper signs of spring yesterday with the Hawthorn blossom looking lovely, it really stands out when you see a large hedge full even on an overcast day, there's hope !
P1130436.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

colin54 wrote:I saw this field full of swans yesterday, an impressive and noisy sight.
$matches[2]
P1140926.JPG

Not just any old Swans, but Whooper Swans. Beautiful
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Chris56 wrote:

Thank you Chris, I did not know that.
Another picture from the same day (click), they look like they might be lining up for a game of some sort.
P1140928.JPG
Nu-Fogey
peetee

Post by peetee »

colin54 wrote:
Chris56 wrote:

Thank you Chris, I did not know that.
Another picture from the same day (click), they look like they might be lining up for a game of some sort.
P1140928.JPG

Perhaps they think they are the game and are on the lookout for any loose Windsor’s with a gun, car, sharp words or whatever.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.