A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
robing

Re: A positive thread

Post by robing »

I rounded off a great year's cycling with a 60 miler this morning. Perfect conditions - not too cold, light winds and dry. Drivers were courteous, not even a single close pass which is something of a record! (and lots of hellos with other cyclists but then I always do)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycling to the station today I prepared to press the button at a crossing as I passed
Before I reached the crossing I saw that the light was red, it was stopping the motrons every couple of minutes although no-one wanted to cross, Plus One!

Some genius had jammed it with a matchstick, it was still doing the same when I cycled by on the way home :D

The matchstick is still there, it changes to to red every couple of minutes, prevents many speeding crimes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Post by sjs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycling to the station today I prepared to press the button at a crossing as I passed
Before I reached the crossing I saw that the light was red, it was stopping the motrons every couple of minutes although no-one wanted to cross, Plus One!

Some genius had jammed it with a matchstick, it was still doing the same when I cycled by on the way home :D

The matchstick is still there, it changes to to red every couple of minutes, prevents many speeding crimes

Still hoping someone will bite?
Happy New Year!
Jony2smith

Post by Jony2smith »

It was properly light on the way in and on the way home for the first time this year. The matchstick is still there, it changes to to red every couple of minutes, prevents many speeding crimes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

On 1.1 I always go out on my Gillott, 59" fixed
Quite cold and windy but I saw lots of kids with bikes/scooters that they got for Christmas, +1!
RickH

Post by RickH »

This photo (shared in a tweet by Evans recently) made me smile.

Screenshot_20190102-114404.png

(link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Out cycling this afternoon, it was pretty good weather except for the grey sky. I was mostly on quiet lanes but my route took me through the little town of LLantwit major. A red light meant I had to stop where a road narrows under a rail bridge. There was only me waiting. No traffic at either side, just me on my bike. A small girl walking just ahead of her mother on the footpath pressed the button for the crossing, then they both walked on without crossing. She'd pressed it just for fun. So I waited an extra 30 seconds while the crossing was on green. I thought of Cyril Haearn and smiled. :Dhttps://www.google.com/maps/@51.409937, ... 6?hl=en-GB
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, I must enrol her in my academy :wink:
Minus One, walking across at the lights today, a WVP barrelled straight through in the middle of the red phase
Something positive? Planning to go cycling tomorrow by the water near home, hardly ever been there. Visiting a couple of free book stations too

Do the people suffer from living in Llan-twit? I really think the 'the proper' Welsh name could have been used, or even a made-up one like Llanfair PG
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One, I must enrol her in my academy :wink:
Minus One, walking across at the lights today, a WVP barrelled straight through in the middle of the red phase
Something positive? Planning to go cycling tomorrow by the water near home, hardly ever been there. Visiting a couple of free book stations too

Do the people suffer from living in Llan-twit? I really think the 'the proper' Welsh name could have been used, or even a made-up one like Llanfair PG

Llanilldud Fawr is the alternative name on the signs but the "real" name is Llantwit, cos that's what the locals call it and they should know. You and I are not part of that decision making process. Mostly it's a nice place to live. My mum lives there. The beach is a nice one mile walk away and the shops have everything you need. You could live there without a car if you wanted to.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3982777 ... 6?hl=en-GB
The lane down to the pebbly beach.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went cycling just-for-fun today, 31 km, lovely grey weather, not too cold, water, trees, sky all grey, few people out, visited three book swap stations, did not take any books :wink:, I have enough already, cycled by the railway line
Saw some canoeists, resolved to take up canoeing
Lentil soup for tea
Plan to do a similar ride again next week
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I am sick with big hairy Welsh germs but at least I can sit and look at my bikes
Pat
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

After being stuck in for a week with a virus I had cabin fever and had to get out to day on the bike, so i got out the brompton to just pootle about for four miles and my god the colours, the colours! life if you can keep it simple is very very good
Pat
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for colours, there are a thousand different tones of grey :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Getting up early to drive to work in the dark
Coworker is a terrible optimist, 'the snow reflects light and fortunately there are no clouds [=cold] so the full moon lights ones way, it is really not so dark!' she optimised :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Guardian reports that a new radio station playing classical music and film music, aimed at Young People (under 35 :wink:) is planned. Hope older people may listen too

I do love classical music, went to a monster rehearsal concert yesterday, 400 musicians, a few dozen listeners
'Land of Hope and Glory' by Sir Edward was played of course

Going to a free concert again today, four-handed piano pieces :?