A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
robing

A positive thread

Post by robing »

Thought I would start a thread on positive things happening on roads instead of the negatives. Today I was turning right at a difficult junction - at the top of a hill. There was quite a lot of traffic and I couldn't pull out, but a van slowed and flashed its lights at me and let me out.
Annoying Twit

Re: A positive thread

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've finally fixed pretty much all the niggles on my daily use bike.

Of course, there is still my spare bike to be handled. And some of the 'fixing' was done through simple replacement of parts. But, progress is progress.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We seem to be very lucky around here, 99% of drivers are very careful and courteous to me. A smile and a friendly wave seem to do wonders. I think its in towns, particularly in commuting situations, where everyone is rushing about negative things seem to happen.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jezer

Post by jezer »

We mostly ride on country lanes here in North Wiltshire. The majority of drivers showed courtesy today, giving way and waving to us as we passed safely. That was apart from a stupid tractor driver who after waiting for two cars just drove straight at us, forcing us to do an emergency stop.
Power to the pedals
robing

Post by robing »

al_yrpal wrote:We seem to be very lucky around here, 99% of drivers are very careful and courteous to me. A smile and a friendly wave seem to do wonders. I think its in towns, particularly in commuting situations, where everyone is rushing about negative things seem to happen.

Al

Same here really. I think a bit of courtesy goes a long way. I often pull over to let vehicles pass if I'm holding them up. They usually give me a friendly wave.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The sun was shining today and it felt very pleasant.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It was properly light on the way in and on the way home for the first time this year.

The birds were singing this morning and there was a magnificent sunset in the evening.

And I'll have 2,000 miles this winter on the bike by the end of the week.

It's all good.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There's a middle aged lady - with dog - who seems to be virtually a fixture on a stretch of country lane that I pass on my weekly commute. She always has a friendly greeting for me as I ride past. And (before you ask) the dog is extremely well-behaved :) . This morning I happened to pass her on a slight uphill stretch: she called out, laughingly, "it's easier downhill". I could only smile. It's not much of a hill.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

And, on the way home, at least three tawny owls plus a barn owl, made their presence heard....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

The sun was shining, it was a nice temperature for cycling, not too windy, and nobody ran me off the road nor killed me. So it was a good day.

But there was the motorcyclist who tried to push past me at a filtered permeability barrier (cycles only). He argued the toss with me and claimed he was entitled to use it because the description on his tax disc says "Bicycle" (it does, I own two motorbikes - I always found that weird on the VED disc). He also claimed he has lived longer in the area than me - which is probably right, if ever so stupidly pointless.

Just another day, just another numpty.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

You can't get more positive than a sunny, dry and refreshingly cold morning ride into work then a lovely ride home. Both journeys were in daylight too. Last week it was dark on my last bike ride in on Thursday. It's a positive sign when it's light morning and afternoon ride home.

This leaves me with a question, just when can I leave my lights off?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Got overtaken today by a lorry on a blind summit. He gave me plenty of room. :D
Unfortunately he forced the oncoming traffic coming up the hill to stop. :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Able to start the commute home without lights :D although not able to finish it that way yet :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
hondated

Post by hondated »

eileithyia wrote:The sun was shining today and it felt very pleasant.

eileithyia I know what you mean. We are in Malaga for a weeks stay and its sunny here. Didn't bring my bike because my wife doesn't really cycle but I have found a local bike hire shop so I am hoping to get her out on at least a prom ride. Its also made me realise that Malaga would be a good starting point for a tour as getting away from airport seems easy .
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Went for a ride to a bike shop with my better half on Monday. Dug out her bike from the back of her garage, put some air in the tyres and it was ready to roll. As she knows Urmston better than I, she lead the ride while I enjoyed the view from behind :lol:
All little back roads and side streets there and the same on the return trip. Got my saddle position sorted during the trip.
No close passes or cut ups. Bright and sunny and thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed 8mph avg speed. Both of us just pootled along without a care in the world. Perfect :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.