A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: A positive thread

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Travelled by train several times recently, I like to observe people on the platform, it is great to see children suddenly see their grandparents and run up to them
People saying "how do you do?", they are really saying "I love you" :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Rosenkohl*, Brussels Sprouts, just bought the first sprouts of the winter, cooking some for tea, the rest for tomorrow, I do love sprouts!

*German: rose-cabbages :wink:, what are they called in Belgium, Shrewsbury-Sprouts maybe?

Just reminded me of one of my favourite pop groups, Prefab Sprout of course :)
nez

Post by nez »

There are plenty of German speakers in Belgium. It's one of the official languages.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We bought Mini V a new bike on Friday (hers was stolen a few weeks ago), so yesterday we tried out the new bike, went for a little ride, and did a bit of shopping. It included a stop at an organic market day, with some very nice vegetarian food, a little chocolate, and the purchase of some nice baked goods to take home with us.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Rosenkohl*, Brussels Sprouts, just bought the first sprouts of the winter, cooking some for tea, the rest for tomorrow, I do love sprouts!

*German: rose-cabbages :wink:, what are they called in Belgium, Shrewsbury-Sprouts maybe?

Just reminded me of one of my favourite pop groups, Prefab Sprout of course :)

The ladywife recently discovered Welsh sauerkraut, in various exotic flavours (beetroot & ginger, turmeric and mustard, etc.). It's surprisingly good stuff, requiring not even a small gurn as one chews and swallows at it. It's said to encourage exotic gut flora & fauna that improve one's inner processes. My inner process detector has gone off a lot since.

But is there anything better than a crisp yet chewy buttered sprout? Perhaps a plate of lightly steamed spring cabbage, full of green and also a harbinger of the better cycling weather.

Cugel, also a consumer of spinach (Popeye got me on to that).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Broccoli, sprouts, parsnips, porridge? I love them all
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Broccoli, sprouts, parsnips, porridge? I love them all

That sounds like an exciting recipe for vegetable crumble. One only need add an exotic or two - perhaps a bit of fenugreek or a touch of nutmeg?

Perhaps another combination might make a serious porridge that even Mick F would consume?

The Scots put all sorts of queer things with oats but this is perhaps part of the Weegie sense of humour, spread east, west, north and south by means of "Still Game" and other scatological mirth hooters. Bucky crumble - nutritious, delicious and still the least expensive method of getting steamboat.

I'm addicted to the oat, myself, and will have them with anything. A date&figgy slice after 53 miles in the Pennines is my definition of ambrosia.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Cugel wrote:

That sounds like an exciting recipe for vegetable crumble. One only need add an exotic or two - perhaps a bit of fenugreek or a touch of nutmeg?

Perhaps another combination might make a serious porridge that even Mick F would consume?

The Scots put all sorts of queer things with oats but this is perhaps part of the Weegie sense of humour, spread east, west, north and south by means of "Still Game" and other scatological mirth hooters. Bucky crumble - nutritious, delicious and still the least expensive method of getting steamboat.

I'm addicted to the oat, myself, and will have them with anything. A date&figgy slice after 53 miles in the Pennines is my definition of ambrosia.

Cugel

Vegetable crumble! Haven't had one on over a year. Could it be you've just dreamed up the third good use for a sprout?* Might have to try this new recipe myself. :lol:

*The first is feeding to cattle, which adore the things; the second is (allegedly) maintaining human health. I have yet to find a way to actually enjoy eating them. :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Pastychomper wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Vegetable crumble! Haven't had one on over a year. Could it be you've just dreamed up the third good use for a sprout?* Might have to try this new recipe myself. :lol:

*The first is feeding to cattle, which adore the things; the second is (allegedly) maintaining human health. I have yet to find a way to actually enjoy eating them. :lol:

I am expert at eating sprouts and have consumed thousands. The ladywife grows them in her allotment, as do others. They do swapsies.

The sprout flavour and texture varies with not just the variety but also the season and the weather. Funnily enough, most reach their flavoursome crunchy peak just around Christmas - a gift from the sprout goddess perhaps. It's said that collecting them on a snowy or at least frosty day is best.

To enhance the sprout, butter is perhaps the easiest and best method. Butters too vary a great deal, so various sprout-butter permutations may be tried. One must also cook them carefully. I prefer the steaming, as it takes longer and is less subject to a spoiling because of 30 seconds too long, as can happen with a boiled sprout. Boiling also leaches out 45 of the sprout's 139 vitamins, many of which have not yet been identified except via their effects upon the human about 40 minutes after eating one.

Many folk don't like sprouts (or porridge). There is a certain rate of national consumption that keeps such fare at the ideal price point - inexpensive because many say "no"; but readily available because enough of us are addicted.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently the reason that some people cant stand sprouts is that they have more very sensitive taste buds on their tongues. My pal, who is fantastic at blind tasting and correctly identifying wines cannot abide sprouts.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote: Bucky crumble - nutritious, delicious and still the least expensive method of getting steamboat.

Sentence of the week(and it's only Wednesday) :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote: They do swapsies.

I hope they don't do it on a Sunday or they'll have the EU after them :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

As this is supposed to be a positive thread, I'd just like to announce that I positively intend to stay upwind of Cugel, wherever he (or she?) is. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:As this is supposed to be a positive thread, I'd just like to announce that I positively intend to stay upwind of Cugel, wherever he (or she?) is. :wink:

If one regularly enjoys porridge and sprouts (I had both today) there is no wind problem, it's like cycling, regular is best

Pleased that some people dislike porridge & sprouts - plenty available for those who do
gaz

Post by gaz »

Reported "all lights out" on a toucan to the local authority around 1:00pm today. Fixed in under five hours :D .