A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
colin54

Re: A positive thread

Post by colin54 »

Some recent wildlife encounters. A Terrapin and a field mouse (?) on the Rufford Branch of the Leeds & Liverpool canal. A Fallow Deer in a wood just over the hill from Skelmersdale, stood only about 15 metres from the road, quite unusual to get that close to one. They are normally in a herd and bolt if you get anywhere near. Lovely markings.
The mouse went stock still as I was pushing my bike along the towpath, but I just spotted it's movement in my eyeline. I imagine the Terrapin is a released or escapee pet, it was warming itself on a branch in the early morning sun before it eventually swam off, it was about 8inches (20cm long).
Nice to see things a little out of the ordinary whilst out and about.
P1130823.JPG

P1130985.JPG

P1130913.JPG
Last edited by colin54 on 26 Sep 2020, 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nice pics Colin :)
I'm seeing fallow and roe deer in the most unsual places which were slag heaps and brownfield sites when I was a yunk,all quite heartening in the post intustrial landscape :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:Nice pics Colin :)
I'm seeing fallow and roe deer in the most unsual places which were slag heaps and brownfield sites when I was a yunk,all quite heartening in the post intustrial landscape :D
Thanks John, these ones are mostly tucked away in old wooded quarry workings quarry off of Lees lane, I'm sure you've seen them yourself. It doesn't take long for nature to re-establish it's foothold in things once things become disused
does it.
I bet you were a handful when you were 'a yunk', is that Leigh lingo ?!
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Nice pics Colin :)
Thanks John, these ones are mostly tucked away in old wooded quarry workings quarry off of Lees lane, I'm sure you've seen them yourself. It doesn't take long for nature to re-establish it's foothold in things once things become disused
does it.

Not been up Lees Lane area for a while,but you're right once the industrial activity ceases the land rests and reforms back to it's nature

I bet you were a handful when you were 'a yunk', is that Leigh lingo ?!

Please Colin not Leigh,I don't associate with the riff raff,I'm a pure bread Wigginer :wink:
And I was a perfectly well behaved yunk I'll have you know :roll:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The photos are very good, how did you get them? I need at least ten seconds to get my camera out, then it is too late

Did see a hare very close, and a badger for a moment
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The photos are very good, how did you get them? I need at least ten seconds to get my camera out, then it is too late

Thanks, I keep my camera in the side pocket of a Carradice saddlebag so it's easily to hand, sometimes
I'm too slow when I've spotted something and the moment passes, luck of the
(quick) draw mostly.
Edit : Just to add, I think sometimes that carrying and using a camera, whilst making for some nice
memories, can take away from the just enjoying the moment itself.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:Please Colin not Leigh,I don't associate with the riff raff,I'm a pure bread Wigginer :wink:

My mistake r2, by way of 'umble apology, here's a Wiggin toon for you !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_cnZs_5Uqw
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Please Colin not Leigh,I don't associate with the riff raff,I'm a pure bread Wigginer :wink:

My mistake r2, by way of 'umble apology, here's a Wiggin toon for you !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_cnZs_5Uqw

Thanks fer tha' me owd fettler,they'l doo fer me them two :wink:

It reminds me of a chap I knew who was on Wiggin council parks commitee.The commitee felt that Mesnes Park(central park in Wiggin for the uninitiated)wasn't attracting enough people and were discussing what they could do about it.
The chap in question proposed that they buy "one of them theer gondolas" for the lake.
He was seconded by another member who proposed they should buy two and "ler um breed" :shock:
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:The chap in question proposed that they buy "one of them theer gondolas" for the lake.
He was seconded by another member who proposed they should buy two and "ler um breed" :shock:

Think of all the little gondolings there could have been by now if they'd taken 'a punt' on the idea.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The chap in question proposed that they buy "one of them theer gondolas" for the lake.

Think of all the little gondolings there could have been by now if they'd taken 'a punt' on the idea.

:wink:
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Nobody hurt !
I didn't expect to see this whilst out yesterday, it is being used for storage by the farmer I would guess.
A sign of the times, where once they might have used old railway goods van, containers or lorry bodies for a temporary shelter.
P1140419.JPG

It looks slightly alarming when viewed from across the valley.
P1140424.JPG

It's only been put in place in the last few days, it's placed on wooden tressels with a plywood door to block
off the rear of the fuselage and keep the weather out.
Lees Lane near Newburgh, W.Lanc's.
Last edited by colin54 on 25 Sep 2020, 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't know if the terrapins are breeding there. It might be marginal for temperature. But they probably are in London.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

colin54 wrote:Nobody hurt !
I didn't expect to see this whilst out yesterday, it is being used for storage by the farmer I would guess.
A sign of the times, where once they might have used old railway goods van, containers or lorry bodies for a temporary shelter.
$matches[2]
It looks slightly alarming when viewed from across the valley.
P1140424.JPG
It's only been put in place in the last few days, it's placed on wooden tressels with a plywood door to block
of the rear of the fuselage and keep the weather out.
Lees Lane near Newburgh, W.Lanc's.

About to be transformed into a quirky caravan for weekend breaks, I bet.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

737?

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote:737?

Jonathan

The aircraft recognition prize is yours !
Here's another one, picture taken outside a military surplus shop in Burscough, no idea what type of helicopter it was once part of.
P1130646.JPG

P1130662.JPG

P1130659.JPG

The shop is on an industrial estate built on the former site of HMS Ringtail, RNAS Burscough, possibly why the owner has placed it there. This memorial is by the Booths store on the edge of the estate alongside a bronze statue of a Second World War pilot.
Nu-Fogey