A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Re: A positive thread

Post by al_yrpal »

This has just been posted on our little towns Positive Facebook page...

I" think when this is all over we should close the town off completely and have a massive party in the street and have all the local pubs doing the drinks to earn some loose of earnings back have the food shops doing food stands and market traders and charity shops with stands and a massive stage with a disco on & party all night."

Everone in the street was out supporting our NHS last night. Great spirit here in Mid Devon!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

From my ride in the Devon Countryside this morning...

IMG_20200327_105359947.jpg

Does your heart good to see nature doing its thing..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I record my kilometres of course, but the number of days cycled is an important motivator for me too, I try to cycle on more than half the days in the year
69/92 so far this year (and nearly a thousand km)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lots of cyclists (not in groups) out today, all making the most of free time and quiet roads. On my ride I stopped, as planned, for a sandwich, and as I sat there another cyclist pulled up and sat at a nearby bench. More than the required 2m away. We chatted and it turned out he too was doing a 25 mile ride but from the opposite direction, from Tonyrefail. Amid all they gloom it is nice to see some folk managing to grab an hour or two of innocent pleasure.

Further on my ride, on a normally very quiet lane, I encountered a lady on a horse, and she (the lady, not the horse) was stopped and talking to two cyclists who she seemed to know. I hesitated while we all shifted to allow me to pass with enough room, and I commented that it was like Piccadilly Circus (meaning "busy with traffic"), to which the lady replied "Are you comparing me to a large roundabout?" :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Perhaps a sign of the times but clearly positive the boss of Devon based Riverford the organic veg people was saying 99% of temporary veg picking and processing jobs in his business have been filled with local British applicants. Good for Riverford and good for those many folk who have sadly lost their jobs due to this awful virus.

Al
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Beautiful Peacock butterfly that obligingly stayed still long enough to be photographed, today in West Lancs's sunshine.
P1130043.JPG
Nu-Fogey
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I record my kilometres of course, but the number of days cycled is an important motivator for me too, I try to cycle on more than half the days in the year

Nice one!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I record my kilometres of course, but the number of days cycled is an important motivator for me too, I try to cycle on more than half the days in the year

+1
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Got up early (6:30) today Sunday to do my new standard out and back route, 27 km
49" fixed was turning nicely on the way back (headwind on the way out)
It really is worth getting up early to avoid the bright sun, there are few people out too, +2

Saw some lambs, many were black, sadly they are fattening up and have stopped gambolling :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I saw this brood of ducklings with their Mother the other day and counted 14 ducklings, an unusually large number . I Saw them again yesterday and counted them ..15 now, either a miracle or I miscounted the first time....The ducklings are comical to observe when they try and pluck insects from the air. Normally a brood of this size will not survive intact for long, Herons, hawks and pike can take them. Good luck to them.
I also saw a pair of Grey Wagtails busy collecting insects from rocks on the River Douglas next to the canal, all very heartening, life goes on.
P1130180.JPG

P1130174.JPG

P1130171.JPG
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Colin
Thanks for the heartening and positive posts :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bought a SQR block at a cycle jumble a few years back, missing its spring. I replaced it with a bit of spongy-foam. A bit sticky and intermitent in use, it worked but a little disappointing.

At the weekend I cut the spring out of a used hand soap-dispenser, damn near perfect.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

First wet ride after 6 weeks of sunshine under lockdown.

It was cold, wet, dreary, and I thoroughly enjoyed it after a day of video conferences.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:Bought a SQR block at a cycle jumble a few years back, missing its spring. I replaced it with a bit of spongy-foam. A bit sticky and intermitent in use, it worked but a little disappointing.

At the weekend I cut the spring out of a used hand soap-dispenser, damn near perfect.

Don't you love a good bodge when works! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

Took the tandem out for a bimble in the sunshine. Magic.

IMG_20200508_141415.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade