A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Patrickpioneer

Re: A positive thread

Post by Patrickpioneer »

On this mornings ride I seen Father Christmas driving a bin wagon, I really do lead what the social workers call a 'full life'
Pat
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The nagging wife bit makes me very nostalgic. I had a wife for over 50 years and she died just over 3 years ago. I am still pretty depressed but she never really nagged me and once I explained my need for N +1 bikes never complained so long as I actually used it. I realise I have been very lucky in my choice of wife when I hear of some other person’s problems.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ambodach wrote:The nagging wife bit makes me very nostalgic. I had a wife for over 50 years and she died just over 3 years ago. I am still pretty depressed but she never really nagged me and once I explained my need for N +1 bikes never complained so long as I actually used it. I realise I have been very lucky in my choice of wife when I hear of some other person’s problems.

How did you explain n+1 to her, did she cycle?
Llyfr gorau, cof: the best book: ones memories (Welsh proverb)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Commuting in this morning on a wide back lane, was being followed at a careful distance for about half a mile by something with a diesel engine. No overtake attempted, though most vehicles would have.

So I pulled over, waved him past, turned out to be rather large fuel tanker (most drivers of which *would* have overtaken).

He seemed happy, I was happy, all safe, consideration all round. How road users should be.

:D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Saw Daffodils yesterday and Lambs today. Though did decide I think I prefer to do Christmas then in the new year know we have lambs and the first spring flowers to look forward to.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Only, yes only two days to go before the mad house called the school run ends for two weeks and it will be safe to go cycling before nine in the morning again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akb0kD7EHIk
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Because of the traffic around here at the moment I went for a shorter ride than normal this Sunday morning, up all the little lanes I know around Ruabon mountain, it was misty, raining and not very light. I was starting to wonder why I was out then a bird flew over me, it dropped into the grass verge and took off carrying a poor mole! The things you see on a bike, you just cant beat it can you. unless your a mole?
Pat
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Because of the traffic around here at the moment I went for a shorter ride than normal this Sunday morning, up all the little lanes I know around Ruabon mountain, it was misty, raining and not very light. I was starting to wonder why I was out then a bird flew over me, it dropped into the grass verge and took off carrying a poor mole! The things you see on a bike, you just cant beat it can you. unless your a mole?
Pat

That is what the Lord created moles for, unfortunately
Have you read 'Real Wrexham' by Grahame Davies, Seren Press? One of my favourites, I don't know Wrexham so well mind :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love walking from A to B, not just for fun, it is more flexible than cycling for short trips and not much slower, cycling into town is not much exercise, walking is more exercise, Plus Two!

Tried to make a journey by car today, but the battery was flat, walking to the diy store tomorrow to get a charger :wink:
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:[quote="
Have you read 'Real Wrexham' by Grahame Davies, Seren Press? One of my favourites, I don't know Wrexham so well mind :?

I have read a book about the history of Wrexham, it could be the one but I read it many years ago. my village is Brynteg not far from Brymbo which has a much longer history than Wrexham I think, have you read about the 'Brymbo man'
I also agree about walking, if its under a mile i walk and see much more than when on the bike.
see you again the next time we are both feeling positive
Pat
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Patrickpioneer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:[quote="

I have read a book about the history of Wrexham, it could be the one but I read it many years ago. my village is Brynteg not far from Brymbo which has a much longer history than Wrexham I think, have you read about the 'Brymbo man'
I also agree about walking, if its under a mile i walk and see much more than when on the bike.
see you again the next time we are both feeling positive
Pat

Perhaps you might try a walk with a collie dog or two? Two is better as they compete a bit and often combine to act out hilarious antics. Being owned by two collies is quite good for the regular low-level exercise as one must go and get some every day no matter what. The penalties for not going out to entertain the collies can be severe on the nerves!

There is a danger of growing one shoulder larger than the other, from the thousands of ball and stick throws. On the other hand, the other shoulder seems to know about the growth of the hoying one and somehow matches it in size albeit not in throwing ability. One can meet other dawg walkers and have long chats about everything. SOmetimes there is a cyclist-teasing opportunity, as one hoves into view on the towpath. Most are nice but the odd MTBer on a Strava mission is legitimate fodder for annoyment.

But I digress.

Five miles a day whilst ball and stick throwing keeps the fattening fairy at bay. Add in a hundred or so miles a week on the bike and one becomes an almost perfek specimen! I said "almost", which can cover quite a large range from "nearly perfek" to "actually perfek". Only Gina Lollobrigida was actually perfek, as everyone knows who is over a certain age. Mitzi Gaynor would've been if only she'd shut up for a minute. And my ladywife, in more ways than just the obvious one. Yes.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cugel wrote:<SNIP - why repeat it ?>

Digress, I know him he works in the local shop from me. I have a Jack Russel who is now fourteen and has only one gear, a very low gear so we walk very slow 4 times a day, no matter the weather she takes me out, she has me well trained.
On my bicycle once a MTBer caught me up and asked if I was on strava, no I said only EPO
Pat
Last edited by Graham on 24 Dec 2018, 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: space
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Just got back from my ride to the super market, I don't know why but I love shopping on the bike and coming home the long way around down the little lanes, it all gives me a very 'positive feeling' and that cant be bloomin bad can it
Pat

Photo of my shopping bike, there's posh
Attachments
DSCF0746.JPG
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycling to the station today I prepared to press the button at a crossing as I passed
Before I reached the crossing I saw that the light was red, it was stopping the motrons every couple of minutes although no-one wanted to cross, Plus One!

Some genius had jammed it with a matchstick, it was still doing the same when I cycled by on the way home :D
julianm

Post by julianm »

I got a cheery 'Happy New Year' from a passing cyclist which is a bit better than the
'I'm all dressed in black & I'm much too fast & hard to acknowledge you' I get sometimes.