A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Re: A positive thread

Postby al_yrpal » 16 Jul 2019, 11:37pm

Grandad wrote:Went out for the second hillier than usual ride in the last 3 days. Had to cut out part of each -no such trouble last year so it must be an age thing.

Good evidence towards strengthening the case for an e-bike :D

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Just done it having moved to lumpy Devon with plenty of 1 in 5s and steeper. Go for it! You still get plenty of decent exercise by being mean with the electric assistance.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Patrickpioneer

Postby Patrickpioneer » 18 Jul 2019, 7:40am

Yesterday on my ride I spotted a chap on his mobility scooter stuck over the kerb with his rear tiny wheels spinning, So i stopped and pushed him off. I should have asked him how many cars had past him while he was stuck and how long he had been there.
When the weather is nice he said he just goes for rides on it :D anyway he was so thankful it made my day.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 19 Jul 2019, 12:11pm

Managed 35 miles on Sunday - longest ride I've done for ages (I'm getting a bit long in the tooth) so feeling very pleased with myself (rode to Packwood, did the HofE 18-mile circuit, rode back). Best of all - no after effects at all the following day. Stiff as a board on Wed, but I put that down to starting work on a base for my forthcoming new shed ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Jul 2019, 1:49pm

rmurphy195 wrote:Managed 35 miles on Sunday - longest ride I've done for ages (I'm getting a bit long in the tooth) so feeling very pleased with myself (rode to Packwood, did the HofE 18-mile circuit, rode back). Best of all - no after effects at all the following day. Stiff as a board on Wed, but I put that down to starting work on a base for my forthcoming new shed ...

I walked Baddesley Clinton to Packwood on Sunday. I was visiting my daughter in Leamington.
John

Cycling and recycling

Graham

Postby Graham » 25 Jul 2019, 8:19am

A simple act of generosity can be very uplifting . . . . . . .

France : not far from Dieppe :
A couple of days ago I was resting and snacking in the shade of a sports pavilion.
Across the football field I could see a couple of workers filling a water tank on the back of a truck using a hose.

Being short of water I cycled over and asked one if he could refill my water bottle.
My first question < Is the water potable ? > . . . . Yes.
To my surprise he took the bottle and disappeared into the nearby building.
A minute later emerging with a full bottle of "fresh water". . . . . ( I suppose the hose could have been contaminated ).

He wished me "Bon Courage".

Graham

Postby Graham » 26 Jul 2019, 7:59pm

A bit of karmic rebalancing today . . . or one good turn leads to another . . . . ( above )

I spotted young man standing over an upside-down bike, in a layby, on the other side of the road.

I rarely check if a stopped biker is OK these days, because there are so many cyclists milling around.

Some sixth-sense told me that this was exceptional. I called across "R U OK ?".
I didn't actually hear what his response was, but it caused me to turn around and approach.

The rear derailleur was in the spokes : the chain jammed between the largest sprocket and a plastic spoke protector ring.
He had just fallen off with the back wheel locked. The derailleur hanger was badly bent.

I think he was probably in mild shock, as he seemed strangely uncomprehending as I unjammed the chain then forced the derailleur hanger back into a more vertical position. The bike appeared to be operational again.

He assured me that he could cruise the remaining five miles home, despite the grazing and bruises.
I just warned him not to use the larger sprockets ( which would bring the derailleur back into the spoke danger zone ).

He was very thankful.
It felt very good to help.

poetd

Postby poetd » 26 Jul 2019, 8:30pm

Good job!
May you receive it back threefold.

gaz

Postby gaz » 27 Jul 2019, 2:26pm

Riding home in the mid-day sun on thursday, single-track country lane section of NCN1. Extreme volume of motor traffic both ways (parallel main road snarled up following a crash) and getting fed up of the stop start. Eventually stops altogether so I filter through to the front.

Two cars wedged together, both up against the hedges and one trapped on a bit of random brickwork in the verge. Clearly nothing going anywhere for a long time and no way through even dismounted. Motors continuing to join both ends of the queue, sitting there, engines running.

Back-tracked about half a mile, took a walk along a footpath through woods beside a stream and got back on the roads half a mile or so further on.

So glad not to have been in a car.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 7 Aug 2019, 5:36pm

Despite a few soakings, an unplanned inspection of the local vegetation and a squealing front brake, I had a very pleasant and entertaining ride with some pleasant company today. Thanks chaps :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 7 Aug 2019, 10:14pm

Today the ladywife et moi took a grandson to The Welsh Bonsai Centre, which is rather informal in presentation but has tremendous, best-ever-seen examples by the dozen, a very enthusiastic, knowledgeable and helpful owner and a lot of revelations about alternative Bonsai. The alternative aspects are numerous but one stands out: you can grow tremendous and beautiful Bonsais in far less time that is traditional - not a hundred years or so but a decade or two/three.

The grandson is now educated, enthused and provided with examples plus tools to begin what one hopes will be a fine all-consuming hobby, involving much learning about horticulture and aesthetics as well as various other skills and understandings. A remarkable and revelatory experience in only a couple of hours.

I recommend a visit. You must arrange a visit with the proprietor, as it isn't a shop (although he sells things, including do-you-own Bonsai tools) but a Bonsai growing place.

Cugel

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Aug 2019, 12:02pm

I am planning a cycle next month from Ptlochry to Inverness using R7. I will be mainly wild camping and in one day plan to climb (on foot) Cairn Gorm whilst staying near Aviemore.

I wrote to the Glenmore Visitor Centre asking if I might be able to charge my battery (offering to make a charitable donation to a charity of their choice) and received this reply just now:

"Dear...

Thankyou for your enquiry
It would be no problem to charge your battery here at the visitor centre. We have numerous wall plugs in the centre just for that type of thing
There will be no charge you can leave it for as long as needed."

The kindness of strangers, experienced not for the first time.
John

Cycling and recycling

colin54

Postby colin54 » 9 Aug 2019, 12:23am

Vantage wrote:Despite a few soakings, an unplanned inspection of the local vegetation and a squealing front brake, I had a very pleasant and entertaining ride with some pleasant company today. Thanks chaps :D

Likewise Bill, a grand day out, thanks for organising R2, nice to find some tracks I didn't know existed.

Revolution

Postby Revolution » 9 Aug 2019, 1:34pm

Last year, on the way home I found my view dangerously blocked when joining a busy A road because of a temporary traffic sign for the Bristol Balloon Fiesta
Flax Bourton.JPG

I wrote to the AA (who were responsible for the sign)
Imagine my pleasant surprise when yesterday I found that this year, the sign had been placed just behind the cycle path junction leaving the view unobstructed
IMG_2369 2.jpg

Not sure if it was my email that was responsible but glad that common sense has prevailed :D

Patrickpioneer

Postby Patrickpioneer » 11 Aug 2019, 7:30pm

This morning on the bike in the rain I seen a hare, a real live hare, I have never seen one before and it just made my day.
Wonder if his name is Hartley ?

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Aug 2019, 8:07pm

Patrickpioneer wrote:This morning on the bike in the rain I seen a hare, a real live hare, I have never seen one before and it just made my day.
Wonder if his name is Hartley ?

You must have been near Moel Ysgyfarnogod, Hare Hill, near Trawsfynydd :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life