A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa
Posts: 11705
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: A positive thread

Postby pwa » 4 Jan 2020, 9:18pm

I was out on the bike this afternoon for a while and saw quite a lot of other cyclists enjoying the country lanes. I stopped briefly to attend to something and was passed by a cheery young woman on a mountain bike, and we exchanged hellos. She sped off and as I got back on the bike I resolved to take it easy and not chase, as I am sometimes tempted to do with a bike up ahead. Needless to say, two minutes later I had forgotten about not chasing and had her in my cross hairs. Then as she got to a climb she got out of the saddle and danced on the pedals and I thought to myself "You know what, I just can't be bothered", and eased off. Serves me right. She was younger and fitter than me.

A few miles later I met a pedestrian walking his dog and we exchanged a few words. I told him what a beautiful dog he had. He was the ex rugby player Gareth Thomas but I didn't let on that I recognised him. He is a nice, friendly bloke.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12369
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: A positive thread

Postby Cyril Haearn » 6 Jan 2020, 3:34pm

Cycled to a Kaspertheater, punch & judy show
Great fun for children of all ages, simple interactive and entertaining
Going to see the story of the Three Little Pigs next week
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3481
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: A positive thread

Postby Oldjohnw » 11 Jan 2020, 8:39am

Croissant, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee.

A recipe for world peace.
John

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 3212
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: A positive thread

Postby Cugel » 12 Jan 2020, 9:48am

Oldjohnw wrote:Croissant, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee.

A recipe for world peace.

They cut down a forest for wheat-growing land, then made it a dust bowl.
The orange groves are picked by slaves from North Africa.
The fresh fruit came from the other side of the world via a vast diesel-gobbling boat.
The coffee growing is guilty of all three.

Mind, it's exactly what I had for breakfast just now.

Cugel

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3481
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: A positive thread

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Jan 2020, 11:58am

Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Croissant, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee.

A recipe for world peace.

They cut down a forest for wheat-growing land, then made it a dust bowl.
The orange groves are picked by slaves from North Africa.
The fresh fruit came from the other side of the world via a vast diesel-gobbling boat.
The coffee growing is guilty of all three.

Mind, it's exactly what I had for breakfast just now.

Cugel



You're right. But I was in my little micro world.
John

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 3212
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: A positive thread

Postby Cugel » 12 Jan 2020, 1:36pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Croissant, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee.

A recipe for world peace.

They cut down a forest for wheat-growing land, then made it a dust bowl.
The orange groves are picked by slaves from North Africa.
The fresh fruit came from the other side of the world via a vast diesel-gobbling boat.
The coffee growing is guilty of all three.

Mind, it's exactly what I had for breakfast just now.

Cugel



You're right. But I was in my little micro world.


It's naughty to bring such a perspective to the fore in The Positive Thread but ....

Of late I can't help reflecting that I and my generation in Blighty have largely lived a fine and privileged life, free of many of the historical harms awarded to previous generations, including our parents who were perhaps devastated by the likes of a world war or two with socio-economic degradations in between. I feel very lucky to have been born just after the NHS, council housing, free education and all the other life savers & enhancers were established. And very lucky to have avoided any need to be fodder to some cannons somewhere, as the bigwigs have a spat.

But look at the price! We've luxuriated for decades, we boomers, but now the bill is coming in, with various ecological degradations of an unprecedented degree likely to do immense harms in the very near future. Our luckiest-ever generation of have-it-all, never-had-it-so-gooders have been manufacturing a ton of ill luck for our children and grandchildren. I often feel ashamed of it.

Cugel

cjchambers
Posts: 848
Joined: 29 Jun 2008, 9:55pm
Location: Hartlepool

Re: A positive thread

Postby cjchambers » 12 Jan 2020, 6:34pm

I got my Revolution Cuillin out of storage in my dad's garage where it's been sitting gathering layers of dust from all the cars he's spray painted over the years since it was put there. Spent the day cleaning it up and re-lubricating everything. Couldn't possibly pass up on the chance of a dusk test ride!

After 10ish years of exclusively riding road bikes and I'd completely forgotten the simple pleasure of riding around town on a smooth-tyred mountain bike. Nice high riding position, nice squishy ride, powerful V-brakes, the ability to crash in and out of potholes as you please.

There was a very optimistic ice-cream man in Seaton Carew, to match the very optimistic palm trees :lol:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

peetee
Posts: 1836
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: A positive thread

Postby peetee » 13 Jan 2020, 10:38pm

cjchambers wrote:
There was a very optimistic ice-cream man in Seaton Carew, to match the very optimistic palm trees :lol:


I never cease to be amazed by the oddness of the human memory. I can be introduced to someone and forget their name in seconds but those photos were instantly recognisable to me. I was last there as a young boy over 45 years ago when my dad used to take us to the swimming baths on the sea front!
Optimistic is the word. I well remember playing footy at school in Hartlepool and getting so cold even a hot shower wouldnt thaw my fingers enough to get my shirt and tie on properly!
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

cjchambers
Posts: 848
Joined: 29 Jun 2008, 9:55pm
Location: Hartlepool

Re: A positive thread

Postby cjchambers » 13 Jan 2020, 11:52pm

peetee wrote:I was last there as a young boy over 45 years ago when my dad used to take us to the swimming baths on the sea front!
Optimistic is the word. I well remember playing footy at school in Hartlepool and getting so cold even a hot shower wouldnt thaw my fingers enough to get my shirt and tie on properly!

Glad to have sparked some memories! Hmm yes, there's a definite freshness in the air in Hartlepool isn't there?! Must be something to do with sticking out into the North Sea with an uninterrupted line of sight to the arctic! :shock:

I'm pleased to say Seaton is thriving, by North Eastern coastal standards anyway! I think possibly because its small size means it can maintain a good density of occupied shops etc and a general feeling of busyness. I sometimes ride along the front street on my way home from work, and in the summer there are often queues down the street for fish and chips.

If you're the type who likes looking at old photos, there's a fantastic indexed collection from Hartlepool here: https://www.hhtandn.org/

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13904
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: A positive thread

Postby gaz » 6 Feb 2020, 9:30pm

Hauling the Mule through town on the weekly shopping run, what do I see?

Another Mule outside Wilkinsons being loaded with a wheelbarrow. There is hope :mrgreen: .
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2792
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: A positive thread

Postby roubaixtuesday » 6 Feb 2020, 10:05pm

gaz wrote:Hauling the Mule through town on the weekly shopping run, what do I see?

Another Mule outside Wilkinsons being loaded with a wheelbarrow. There is hope :mrgreen: .


+ many!

Is there a photo of your mule?

User avatar
John1054
Moderator
Posts: 698
Joined: 11 May 2012, 11:43am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: A positive thread

Postby John1054 » 7 Feb 2020, 8:11am

That would be good to see :D

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13904
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: A positive thread

Postby gaz » 8 Feb 2020, 5:33pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:Is there a photo of your mule?

IMG_20200123_111441.jpg
Mule
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2792
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: A positive thread

Postby roubaixtuesday » 10 Feb 2020, 7:53am

Thanks Gaz, that's quite some load you've got there!

User avatar
John1054
Moderator
Posts: 698
Joined: 11 May 2012, 11:43am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: A positive thread

Postby John1054 » 10 Feb 2020, 7:55am

So pleased to see that I'm not unique in my shopping habits :wink: