A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: A positive thread

Post by pwa »

I was out on the bike this afternoon for a while and saw quite a lot of other cyclists enjoying the country lanes. I stopped briefly to attend to something and was passed by a cheery young woman on a mountain bike, and we exchanged hellos. She sped off and as I got back on the bike I resolved to take it easy and not chase, as I am sometimes tempted to do with a bike up ahead. Needless to say, two minutes later I had forgotten about not chasing and had her in my cross hairs. Then as she got to a climb she got out of the saddle and danced on the pedals and I thought to myself "You know what, I just can't be bothered", and eased off. Serves me right. She was younger and fitter than me.

A few miles later I met a pedestrian walking his dog and we exchanged a few words. I told him what a beautiful dog he had. He was the ex rugby player Gareth Thomas but I didn't let on that I recognised him. He is a nice, friendly bloke.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycled to a Kaspertheater, punch & judy show
Great fun for children of all ages, simple interactive and entertaining
Going to see the story of the Three Little Pigs next week
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Croissant, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee.

A recipe for world peace.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:Croissant, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee.

They cut down a forest for wheat-growing land, then made it a dust bowl.
The orange groves are picked by slaves from North Africa.
The fresh fruit came from the other side of the world via a vast diesel-gobbling boat.
The coffee growing is guilty of all three.

Mind, it's exactly what I had for breakfast just now.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cugel wrote:

The fresh fruit came from the other side of the world via a vast diesel-gobbling boat.

Cugel

You're right. But I was in my little micro world.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

You're right. But I was in my little micro world.

It's naughty to bring such a perspective to the fore in The Positive Thread but ....

Of late I can't help reflecting that I and my generation in Blighty have largely lived a fine and privileged life, free of many of the historical harms awarded to previous generations, including our parents who were perhaps devastated by the likes of a world war or two with socio-economic degradations in between. I feel very lucky to have been born just after the NHS, council housing, free education and all the other life savers & enhancers were established. And very lucky to have avoided any need to be fodder to some cannons somewhere, as the bigwigs have a spat.

But look at the price! We've luxuriated for decades, we boomers, but now the bill is coming in, with various ecological degradations of an unprecedented degree likely to do immense harms in the very near future. Our luckiest-ever generation of have-it-all, never-had-it-so-gooders have been manufacturing a ton of ill luck for our children and grandchildren. I often feel ashamed of it.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

I got my Revolution Cuillin out of storage in my dad's garage where it's been sitting gathering layers of dust from all the cars he's spray painted over the years since it was put there. Spent the day cleaning it up and re-lubricating everything. Couldn't possibly pass up on the chance of a dusk test ride!

After 10ish years of exclusively riding road bikes and I'd completely forgotten the simple pleasure of riding around town on a smooth-tyred mountain bike. Nice high riding position, nice squishy ride, powerful V-brakes, the ability to crash in and out of potholes as you please.

There was a very optimistic ice-cream man in Seaton Carew, to match the very optimistic palm trees :lol:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg
peetee

Post by peetee »

cjchambers wrote:
There was a very optimistic ice-cream man in Seaton Carew, to match the very optimistic palm trees :lol:

I never cease to be amazed by the oddness of the human memory. I can be introduced to someone and forget their name in seconds but those photos were instantly recognisable to me. I was last there as a young boy over 45 years ago when my dad used to take us to the swimming baths on the sea front!
Optimistic is the word. I well remember playing footy at school in Hartlepool and getting so cold even a hot shower wouldnt thaw my fingers enough to get my shirt and tie on properly!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

peetee wrote:I was last there as a young boy over 45 years ago when my dad used to take us to the swimming baths on the sea front!
Optimistic is the word. I well remember playing footy at school in Hartlepool and getting so cold even a hot shower wouldnt thaw my fingers enough to get my shirt and tie on properly!

Glad to have sparked some memories! Hmm yes, there's a definite freshness in the air in Hartlepool isn't there?! Must be something to do with sticking out into the North Sea with an uninterrupted line of sight to the arctic! :shock:

I'm pleased to say Seaton is thriving, by North Eastern coastal standards anyway! I think possibly because its small size means it can maintain a good density of occupied shops etc and a general feeling of busyness. I sometimes ride along the front street on my way home from work, and in the summer there are often queues down the street for fish and chips.

If you're the type who likes looking at old photos, there's a fantastic indexed collection from Hartlepool here: https://www.hhtandn.org/
gaz

Post by gaz »

Hauling the Mule through town on the weekly shopping run, what do I see?

Another Mule outside Wilkinsons being loaded with a wheelbarrow. There is hope :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

gaz wrote:Hauling the Mule through town on the weekly shopping run, what do I see?

Another Mule outside Wilkinsons being loaded with a wheelbarrow. There is hope :mrgreen: .

+ many!

Is there a photo of your mule?
John1054

Post by John1054 »

That would be good to see :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Is there a photo of your mule?

IMG_20200123_111441.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Thanks Gaz, that's quite some load you've got there!
John1054

Post by John1054 »

So pleased to see that I'm not unique in my shopping habits :wink: