Wrong Bike?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Re: Wrong Bike?

Post by horizon »

That's a great link Old Windbag. But I have to say that I'm sceptical nowadays about frame sizing, even on a custom build.

With sloping top tubes and threadless steerers, there's a lot of flexibility in sizing for off-the-shelf bikes - just buy the one that sounds right - large for big people etc - as there won't be much choice. Then it's up to you to tweak the saddle position and get the right, easily replaced, stem. Top tube length is almost irrelevant as it is governed most of the time by seat angle. And the front end of a 700c bike is constrained by toe-overlap.

So all that measuring and calculating in order to buy the right bike is time wasted and maybe buying unseen has never been easier. Measuring and calculating however to get that bike right for you is however a different ball game.

Maybe I'll give the software a go!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Yes I've never had a custom build, always off the shelf frames. But using the simple cad software( it can be fiddly if measurements you're changing are atagonistic, you can have one but not both ) has helped me choose the correct frame size, and buy the correct stem length etc, also allowed me to avoid frames that showed up issues I had not expected. Toe-overlap( with guards too ) being an issue I always aim to void, yes its liveable but if you can design it out then do so. When I look at the depth of it's capability, as I only use it to create a virtual bike, I'm surprised it isn't used more often for mock ups. Particularly if for framesets without fully built bikes available as is sometimes the case. Pro bike shops have bike-cad but rattlecad is free( or donate if you use it more professionally rather than once every 3 yrs :) or simply appreciate its function ).

It is worth a play around.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

@old_windbag
It is worth a play around.

Thanks for the link.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

maxglide wrote:Thanks for the link.

Yes prior to using rattlecad mid 2012 I was using my rotring drawing board. Getting all frame dimensions, drawing them up to a scale, with stem, bars, wheels etc. It was time consuming but did give me dimensions of interest. The software let me speed the process right up.

My drawing board was acquired as a christmas present for doing O-level TD. 36 years on and you can still buy the same one, it's nice when some things just don't change, it's like comfort food :) . Even though most work will be executed with CAD software today.