Glazebrook Trail

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

Glazebrook Trail

Post by Vantage »

Does anyone (reohn2 perhaps???) know if this is entirely cyclable? Bikehike's os map shows the rights of way to be no issue, just wondering at the state of the surface really.
I'm thinking Dunham Grove across the East Lancs and onto Holcroft Lane via Little Woolden Hall Farm nr the M62.
I'm really sick of main roads now and after as much a non road route to Warbuton Bridge as I can find.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Re: Glazebrook Trail

Post by reohn2 »

I've looked at it on the map but never ridden it(it's a footpath).
However if you wish to miss out Warrington Rd Glazebury and Holcroft Lane(and I don't blame you)there's a nice route from the East Lancs Rd,follow Higher Green Rd past the old Astley Green Pit,over the canal,follow the tarmac road to the level crossing,it then becomes the very ridable Astley Road which is most dirt/gravel that spits you out in the middle of Irlam.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Yep. It's a footpath. Doh! Just printed a sheet full of OS marking so I don't mess up again.
Thanks John, I'll be trying that route soon :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Rickmanchester

Post by Rickmanchester »

Good morning. Has anyone completed this? I live in lowton very close to the fire station, and my daily commute is to Altrincham. Traffic is awful, so when the days are longer I am seriously considering cycling to work. The main think that puts me off is the narrow country roads, however I’ve come across this Glazebrook Trail, which can get me from my house to the Manchester Chip Canal without a single bit of road cycling! I am just wondering has anyone actually don’t this trail and can report back on the path type, also how easy is it to cross the M62, railway lines etc that the route crosses?

After the end of the Glazebrook trail I would have no option other than to cross the Warburton toll bridge, which I’m not looking forward to, but once on the other side, I could pick up on another cycle route (Trans Pennine Trail) which takes me straight to work.

Any feedback would be most welcome.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Rickmanchester wrote:Good morning. Has anyone completed this? I live in lowton very close to the fire station, and my daily commute is to Altrincham.

After the end of the Glazebrook trail I would have no option other than to cross the Warburton toll bridge, which I’m not looking forward to, but once on the other side, I could pick up on another cycle route (Trans Pennine Trail) which takes me straight to work.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

As others have said, Glazebrook Trail is a footpath, and even if cycleable looks like it would add a fair bit of time and distance to the journey. However I regularly cycle the roads between Altrincham and Culcheth, occasionally as far as Lowton, and these roads are fine for cycling - I think most cycle commuters would give their eye-teeth to have such a ride in preference to city streets. It may seem a bit daunting at first if you're not used to it, but it gets easier the more you do it. I suggest giving it a try one weekend when there's no time pressure.

Warburton Toll Bridge is free for cyclists and you can enjoy breezing past the queues of cars waiting to pay!
Rickmanchester

Post by Rickmanchester »

Thanks for your reply. I don’t have a road bike just a mountain bike but I never ever use it. My daily commute at the minute takes me an hour each way, on google when I select cycling it says 1hr 18m which I’m happy to try as it will get me fit and also not add too much time to my commute each day, plus I’ll be saving around £40pw in fuel. Do you think using this route instead of the roads would add much more time to the journey?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

I agree with xerxes - The Warburton bridge would be the highlight of the ride. There is a fine view to enjoy in addition to breezing past all the motorists queuing to pay the 12p toll. Using roads would be much faster as well as more direct which is a serious consideration for a commute that long - also I would only venture on that stretch of the Trans-Pennine trail after prolonged dry weather: https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/64546/

If you would prefer to avoid the bridge you an cross the Ship Canal at Irlam Locks and then via Flixton and Carrington. Though I'm not sure of the status or condition of the routes across the moss.

A longer scenic alternative is to follow the Bridgewater Canal (RCN 82) all the way.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I agree with Pete Owens.
The ride a cross Astley moss is very duable on an MTBh or gravel road bike,but then you have the traffic problems from Irlam and the back lanes to Altringham aren't that pleasant at rush hour.
The scenic route is the Bridgewater canal which is flat and fast as far as the Manchester ship canal,I haven't ridden it from there to Altringham so don't know what the surface is like.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:I agree with Pete Owens.
The ride a cross Astley moss is very duable on an MTBh or gravel road bike,but then you have the traffic problems from Irlam and the back lanes to Altringham aren't that pleasant at rush hour.
The scenic route is the Bridgewater canal which is flat and fast as far as the Manchester ship canal,I haven't ridden it from there to Altringham so don't know what the surface is like.

The canal beyond the ship canal through Altrincham is surprisingly good too. The section through Trafford Park is a green strip through an industrial area but feels more like out in the countryside (apart from very occasional whiffs of industrial processes).

From Lowton to Altrincham via the canal is a couple of miles further, 19 to 20 in total, than a road route but if you pick up the towpath at Plank Lane Bridge the only bit of road you have to use all the way until you are in Altrincham is where you cross the Manchester Ship Canal at Barton. You have to come off the canal there for less than 1/2 mile because there is no towpath on the swing aqueduct across the Ship Canal. If I was doing that commute it is a route I would seriously consider doing. I've happily ridden most of it on a road bike with 28mm tyres. I don't think there are now any muddy sections along that way since they sorted the "Muddy Mile" between Leigh & Worsley last year.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The Bridgewater Canal has a tarmac surface south of the ship canal and is rideable on a road bike. There are annoying cobbles under a few of the road bridges, though I guess you wouldn't notice on an MTB. The only thing that might slow you down is that it can get busy with pedestrians at times - though probably not at commuting times.
Rickmanchester

Post by Rickmanchester »

I know the Bridgewater canal route quite well, however it does seem a long way around to get to work. I am also very unfit (19st) and this is a good way to kickstart things so the more direct the better! I think I’m going to try the direct road route, and the Glazebrook trail and compare the two. I’ve set myself a goal of Monday 16th March as that’s when the daylight will be long enough not to be riding either way in the dark. Between now and then some easier exercises to hopefully get my fitness up!