Loyn Bridge Gressingham to Hornby

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Easy Rider

Loyn Bridge Gressingham to Hornby

Postby Easy Rider » 24 Apr 2016, 7:19pm

Hi all,

Planning a touring weekend and plan to use this bridge. Could anybody tell me if the bridge has been repaired and fully open.

Thanks for any input.

John.

geocycle

Re: Loyn Bridge Gressingham to Hornby

Postby geocycle » 24 Apr 2016, 7:25pm

Sorry not yet, diversions needed. Where you coming from?

Easy Rider

Postby Easy Rider » 24 Apr 2016, 7:40pm

Thanks.

Will be coming down from Kirkby Lonsdale back to the car at Hornby so we can do the few miles on the main road the other side of the river.

Thanks.

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 6 May 2016, 9:56pm

Loyne Bridge was open from a week or two ago.
The Cut Waters have been repaired.
The Low Bentham to Wray road is still closed due to landslide though.

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 6 May 2016, 9:57pm

Thanks arnsider, useful

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 11 Oct 2016, 7:10am

The parapet stones have been loosened and made dangerous resulting in another closure of this strategic Lune Crossing.
The nearest upstream crossing is at Kirkby Lonsdale and downstream at Crook of Lune (Woody's)
The earliest re opening seems to be late December.
I cross this bridge frequently and the complete lack of mortar in the bedding of the parapet on the downstream, Gressingham side was plainly in evidence.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 11 Oct 2016, 2:40pm

arnsider wrote:The parapet stones have been loosened and made dangerous resulting in another closure of this strategic Lune Crossing.
The nearest upstream crossing is at Kirkby Lonsdale and downstream at Crook of Lune (Woody's)
I cross this bridge frequently and the complete lack of mortar in the bedding of the parapet on the downstream, Gressingham side was plainly in evidence.

Amazing they didn't rectify that when doing the other work.

Adam S

Postby Adam S » 11 Oct 2016, 9:03pm

No idea why they couldn't leave the bridge open for pedestrians and cyclists

Slasher

Postby Slasher » 12 Oct 2016, 7:39pm

arnsider wrote:The parapet stones have been loosened and made dangerous resulting in another closure of this strategic Lune Crossing.

I rode over a few weeks ago. I heard that the damage was caused by a vehicle accident 2 weeks ago

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 1 Dec 2016, 6:10pm

All is now OK.
The Parapets both sides have undergone extensive re pointing.
I rode from Carnforth up and over, into the Lune valley, crossing via the Loyne bridge.
Then on down through Hornby and Caton and onto the riverside path as far as the M6 crossing.
Then I took the brand new Heysham road cycle track to Morecambe, riding to the Prom via the old Green Ayre Railway path.
The cycle track is newly tarmaced and quite fast!
The views across Morecambe Bay are always good.

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 1 Dec 2016, 7:17pm

Thanks for the update on the bridge. Also good to hear the bypass cycle track is useful. I'm not convinced about the need for the road (unless you want to build Heysham3) but the construction has been good with impressive engineering. I'll find a map and plan a route.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 1 Dec 2016, 9:57pm

The link road has taken traffic away from the areas either side of it. The A6 north of the link road is very quiet since it opened. Some of the traffic before then was due to.the road being.built but trucks from Morecambe, Heysham and the industrial estates tended to go through BLS to get to junction 35 past Carnforth. Commuting on.that road I can say the link road is brilliant fit me.

Lancaster is still very busy round the one way system. The link road has taken a lot of trucks away but local traffic outs probably still going through Lancaster since that's where they're going or come from.

Loyne bridge seems to be a very accident prone. It gets shut down a lot I think.