Bike Cameras: Are They Worth It?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BakfietsUK

Bike Cameras: Are They Worth It?

Post by BakfietsUK »

I have just fitted a Garmin Virb and it works really well. It records clear footage and the resolution can cope with number plates.

My question is what good will it do me in the light of my gut senses and opinions below about disclosure of material upon an instance of alleged bad driving:

1, Whether the Police respect the footage as evidence that can be handed to the CPS.
2, That the Police may decide to use my own footage against me, by interpreting the footage in terms of a balance of culpability. I.e. 'Blaming the Victim' or if the driver makes a counter complaint.
3, That the Police are not really in tune with our vulnerability and judge what is shown as minor and not worth pursuing.
4, That the Police may unwittingly use our vulnerability against us and criticise any non use of cycle lanes for instance.
5, That it could just promote bad feeling and inflate the tension between drivers and cyclists, making us less safe in the process.

Please note the 5 points above are my opinion and I do not intend them to be taken as facts.

Could you post your experiences of the application of cameras to your cycling so I can perhaps get a more rounded view of what the possibilities may be. Maybe you have used the footage more creatively and posted it online or on blogs.

I was prompted to obtain a camera by a Police Officer when I reported a road rage incident with aggravating circumstances. Basically a driver threatened to knock me off the next time he saw me, saying he knew where I lived. I reported this instantly along with the vehicle index and the Police visited the 'Gentleman' just on my word alone. In other words they believed me. The Police did say a prosecution was not possible because of a lack of evidence and they recommended using a camera. Quite honestly the fact that the Police Officer turned up at the bloke's door was enough to nip this person's behaviour in the bud and reassure me. A prosecution and a court case? - My life's too short to do this every time something happens, so is there any point collecting evidence? Does it mean a whole lot of hassle for not much back?

The only practical value I can see is that if I am seriously assaulted, that there may then be a chance the camera may turn up crucial evidence for a prosecution to take place. This is the reason I invested in the camera.
gaz

Re: Bike Cameras: Are They Worth It?

Post by gaz »

Whilst mulling things over you may wish to consider this post from thirdcrank and the linked thread from Shootist.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've submitted some footage to the local force where a driver made a deliberate lane change to pass me closely and use the horn in a threatening manner, there was no reason for the lane change. The officer dealing with the case gave me an update on proceedings so far and also mentioned my actions. He said I shouldn't have sworn and given a hand gesture towards the car/driver as the driver could stop and assault me. Given the incident was at night and the distance between myself and the car when I reacted I don't think the driver would have heard or seen my reaction. How should I have reacted? Thanked the driver for not hitting me?

This driver from four years ago mistook my open hand as a fist.

[youtube]5YmK6Z52tcY[/youtube]
millimole

Post by millimole »

I've been accused of 'giving the finger' to a driver when blowing my nose!

There is a danger (if that's the right word) of having a camera and almost wanting to justify its presence. I occasionally wonder with some online footage whether the agro is sometimes for the benefit of the camera.
I know when I had an Air-Zound horn on my commuting bike I seemed to find more occasions to use it than were probably really required.
It's a temptation to be aware of I think.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I like cameras that are basically concealed and don't need effort. Dynamo powered, auto starting and auto looping... Shame they seem like hens teeth
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

I've got a cycliq Fly6 for the rear and a Fly12 on order for the front.

They're both kind of concealed as they are also rear and front lights.

The one time I sent a video to the local police was an eye opener for me, as the police said that my road positioning was at fault and contributed to the incident.

Link here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101964

I always ride with my camera in case something happens...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I love counter -complaints!

It is why in an initial complaint to a company you never mention the video

The driver comes up with a series of lies and the manager supports these

Then you send in the video showing that not only has the driver driven dangerously, but is also lying to over it up

Managers hate that they have been put in a compromising situation, and now have to retract their original reply

I have had more than one driver sacked for this.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

jatindersangha wrote:I've got a cycliq Fly6 for the rear and a Fly12 on order for the front.

They're both kind of concealed as they are also rear and front lights.

The one time I sent a video to the local police was an eye opener for me, as the police said that my road positioning was at fault and contributed to the incident.

Link here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101964

I always ride with my camera in case something happens...

A highly visible camera can act as a road safety device as well

I was on a dual carriageway, approaching a point where a road joins. A car pulls up alongside on my right signalling he is about to turn

We both know this is going to be a last minute left hook.... so point to camera

He sees camera, cuts signal and pulls in behind me

Sorted
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:A highly visible camera can act as a road safety device as well
I was on a dual carriageway, approaching a point where a road joins. A car pulls up alongside on my right signalling he is about to turn
Sorted
I don't disagree that a camera can be a road safety device, but if you BOTH knew it was going to be a left hook, why didn't you smile and wave him to pass/turn ........... before you pulled away?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Sorted
I don't disagree that a camera can be a road safety device, but if you BOTH knew it was going to be a left hook, why didn't you smile and wave him to pass/turn ........... before you pulled away?

Because at this point there was no safe way for him to turn. For me to stop I would have been across the junction
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
It was just an observation with respect to wot you rit.
You were there, I was not. :oops:

Some time ago, I was much more an aggressive rider than what I am now.
The traffic lights in the village get the traffic piled up waiting. If I'm heading east, I used to pull out and get in front of the line of traffic.
Once or twice ........... or lots of times .............. I'd pull away and clip in and be a bit slower in accelerating than the cars would like. However, by the time I'd be going down the hill, I'd be gong quite fast and beat all the traffic to the bridge.

Sometimes, car drivers would attempt to overtake me through the lights. Once, I banged on the bonnet of a car. :twisted:
He held back, then harassed me all the way down, overtook me and slammed on his brakes. I turned round and headed back up the hill and went another way. :lol:

These days, I hold back like I do in the car, and wait to be waved out onto the main road into the lights. Friendly waves and smiles always work, even with the grumpy drivers. Doing it on the bike also works beautifully.

Here's where I pull out to turn right onto the A390 into the traffic lights.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52335 ... 312!8i6656

PS:
Click away, and head through the village and down the hill, and see where I ride! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I just ignore the dim witted fools that fanny about on the road - which often takes a bit of tongue biting and forearm flexing as I squeeze the bars - and as a consequence none of them stop to remonstrate, get in my face, threaten me, or otherwise waste my time. Life's too short to waste it on fools like that.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

I agree. However, given the limited amount of space on a bike, I wanted a camera that could replace (or augment) what I already had on the bike, hence, a camera that's also a decent (but definitely not perfect) rear light sounded like a good fit.

As it turns out, I always commute with 2 rear lights and 2 front lights on the folding bike!

Leisure rides (on a hybrid or road bike), at the weekend, with the kids or "with strava", I always use a fully charged Fly6 and the see-sense lights (front and rear) - as I'm only out during the daytime.

--Jatinder
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have one and, IMHO for practical purposes I hope I never have to use the footage. I use one because in an accident a year ago - T-boned while pedalling down a dual carriageway - the offending driver stated that I "emerged from the pavement in front of his correctly proceeding vehicle". Video footage showing my road position would have saved a lot of hassle and delay. And legal costs (underwritten by the CTC). But would have REALLY worried the wife had she seen it :(

But as a bonus I've taken some nice footage of rides in nice places (I look at these when I'm getting fed up of road-rage-hassle), and the camera is very handy for making videos such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6N2OP89qI
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

millimole wrote:I know when I had an Air-Zound horn on my commuting bike I seemed to find more occasions to use it than were probably really required.

I gave up on mine for the same reason.