Talgarth to Abergavenny

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
johnnyhamster

Talgarth to Abergavenny

Post by johnnyhamster »

Hi
Just planning a few days touring from Abergavenny and was wondering what the stretch of road between Talgarth and Abergavenny ( A479 and A40 ) was like for traffic.
pwa

Re: Talgarth to Abergavenny

Post by pwa »

Not too bad. Useful for doing a Gospel Pass circular. I'd try to be on those roads fairly early in the day, before tourist traffic is on the roads.
johnnyhamster

Post by johnnyhamster »

Thanks - That was the idea , over the Gospel Pass to Hay and onto Builth and Dolgoch. I did this last year, but came back over the pass as well, which was a tough old climb from the north.
A couple more questions if anyone knows the area - is the cycle track to Strata Florida doable on a touring bike, or is it rough going ?
Also someone here recommended the B&B at Trerickets Mill on the Wye - it was lovely but unfortunately no longer open , Can anyone recommend an alternative stopover in the area ?
meic

Post by meic »

A couple more questions if anyone knows the area - is the cycle track to Strata Florida doable on a touring bike, or is it rough going ?

Both!
I did it once with a friend him on a proper MTB and me on an old rigid 1980's Raleigh MTB, both unloaded.
I remember a lot of it was on large stones like chippings and at one point we had to throw our bikes across a swollen stream.
Yma o Hyd
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

*shivers at memory of that stream*

Great track though - I did it a few years back on the Croix de Fer.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
meic

Post by meic »

and was wondering what the stretch of road between Talgarth and Abergavenny ( A479 and A40 ) was like for traffic.

The A40 isnt heavilly trafficked but it is pretty constant. The problem is that it is a narrow, twisty A road with a lack of good overtaking places and motor vehicles not willing to wait very long. I do tend to pass quite a few cyclists when I am driving on it, so it appears that many cyclists find it acceptable to cycle on.

My alternative routes to the Gospel are
1) B4560 to Bwlch and Llangynidr then B4558 then B4077 and B4246.
Which crops up as the routes on a few Audaxes locally. However they are rebuilding the A465 roundabout between Gilwern and Govilon at the moment and you could not cross it when I was there on Monday, you were forced onto the A465 towards Abergevenny, there is a small service road as you approach the roundabout which pops under the A465 at Govilon and avoids having to enter that roundabout.

2)The road (whose climb seems to go on forever) to the east of the Gospel Pass, first right off the B4348 out of Hay, and comes down through Michaelchurch Escley, you can add variety by going through Ewyas Harold, Grosmont, Skenfrith B4521.
Also used on many Audaxes.
Yma o Hyd
johnnyhamster

Post by johnnyhamster »

Thanks for the info. I was somewhat knackered last time and the weather wasn't looking too good, so I thought I'd cut a corner on the return trip by turning off at Three Cocks and following the yellow roads to intercept the Gospel half way up. I don't think it saved any time, and I was down to my last half pack of jelly babies by the time I'd reached the summit.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I once went over the Gospel Pass in the snow on an audax ride. No snow down in Hay, just up on the Pass, from about the cattle grid. It meant about two miles of walking, shin deep in places. The Landrover enthusiasts were trying to get through and had to give up and turn back, but the audaxers just waded through.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

From Abergavenny, you could use some of the Canal as far as Crickhowel.
From Crick, ride up the south bank of the Usk as far as Llangynidr.
Cross the Usk via the narrow bridge and climb up to the main A 40.
Turn right back toward Aber and after half a mile shoot left down a lovely lane into Felindre and CwnDdu.
From CwmDdu, there is a quiet lane on the East side of the valley nearly all the way up to the summit at Pengenfford.
A very short section of main A479, then a right onto a single track lane that is a real drop off down to Talgarth.
We used this route a lot on our round of Crickhowel, Hay, Gospel Pass, Vale of Ewyas, and back to Crick.
There is a good cafe at CwmDdu.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Forgetting that you wanted to return to Aber. straight on down the Vale of Ewyas to Llanvihangel Crucorney, then the quiet road following the West side of the Railway back to Aber. We would cut across the back of Sugar Loafwith a bit of a climb over to Crick.
Magnificent cycling country and many a happy weekend camping at Park Farm, Crickhowel with rides to Brecon via Llangorse and the big round of Brecon, Hoel Senni, Ystradfelte, Pontsticill and Talybont.
johnnyhamster

Post by johnnyhamster »

Thanks for that, Arnsider. I'm hoping to have a couple of nights in Dolgoch next week. Couple more question though :) - If I'm heading from Builth to Abergwesyn on Monday, do you know where the last shop is ? There's also a track from Soar y Mynd to Ty'n Cornel bunkhouse which I understand has been repaired recently following extensive storm damage - is this an easy ride ?
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well, I haven't cycled any of that, but someone else on here will no doubt be able to help.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Abergavenny to Llanfoist
B4269 to Gilwern ( some local traffic).
Join the Monmouthshire Brecon Canal in Gilwern
follow canal to just outside Brecon (locks at B4558) turn right under A40
to Groesffordd. But turn right again onto unclassified road (Sustrans R8) before entering the village
Follow R8 to Talgarth.
Nothing taxing or strenuous on this route, just wonderful scenery and several ok pubs.
Enjoy!

Edit.
Talgarth to Bronllys , cross A470 onto unclassified lane, rejoin A470 and follow through Llyswen.
Turn right across the Wye (last pub) then turn left into Boughrood. Follow lane (Sustrans R8) to its junction with A481.
Follow A481 into Builth.

Strada Florida to Dolgoch is certainly do-able, I've done it on an old road bike (Viscount with 27"wheels) very enjoyable.I rode through the streams except one where, midstream I was brought to a dead stop by a submerged rock so I had to get my feet wet. Great fun!