Leaving the pump on the bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon Lucas

Re: Leaving the pump on the bike

Post by Jon Lucas »

My Dawes Galaxy (now nearly 24 years old) came with an integral pump fitting on the top tube, which takes a longer pump than is normally found, and which would not easily go into any pannier. It looks very neat :) and is very convenient there.

I always used to leave it on, but it was nicked from there a couple of times. The second time was on the first day of my longest ever tour, so was particularly annoying, as I had to buy a non fitting one ( no bike shop there had one that fitted) and wedge it into the pannier.

These days I tend to take the pump with me if locking the bike up somewhere.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Solved the problem . bought a smaller less bumpy shaped telescopic pump .
I carry c02 inflator so the pump is a back up , rather than the fark off headed thing i used to carry the new one is sleeker so it will stay in the bag and not rub so much ................ hopefully.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

TrevA wrote:I leave mine on the bike, especially if it's in a secure area when left. I did once have my pump pinched whilst my bike was parked in the racks at Loughborough station. However, the goon who nicked it had just put it on his own bike, so it was an easy job to pinch it back again!

If leaving in a public area for any length of time, I'll take it off but not otherwise.

If bagged, you have to remember to remove it from the bag and put in on your bike or in your pocket, if you go for ride without the bag. I'd rather it just stayed on the bike all the time, then it's always there when I need it.

+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !