Leaving the pump on the bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

My commuter has panniers and i have for years kept the pump in the bag but it has worn a hole through the bag for the second time , im guessing its rubbing on the pannier rack.

Do you keep your pump on the bike ? I am considering it but im not sure if it will get pinched.I doubt it as the bike is kept in a " bike shed " with a lockable metal cage and my lights have never been nicked ........yet .
I even accidentally left my garmin 200 on the bike once and it was still there when i got back .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bag me. Crazy it wore a hole, but the micro-vibes are staggering. My pump is in the tool bag so it is still. I don't like the clutter of bits bolted on the bike all over the shop and like you say it is nick-able but it's also something else to clean and maintain.

When I see pumps on bikes I feel sorry for the designers having us lot spoil the lines of all the tubes.
pyruse

Re: Leaving the pump on the bike

Post by pyruse »

I've left a pump on the bike for years. Much neater there than in a bag. Bike has been parked all over the place and the pump has never been stolen.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pyruse wrote:I've left a pump on the bike for years. Much neater there than in a bag. Bike has been parked all over the place and the pump has never been stolen.

How can it be neater on the bike? If it's in the bag, it's effectively invisible and you don't get neater than that!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I replied at http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/leavin ... ke.201704/ where I saw it first: "I keep my pump in my bags and it hasn't worn through any yet. Maybe your pump has sharp edges that you could tape? I remove or lock everything I remember. Good tools are hard to find IMO, so I'd rather not leave any of them on it, not even a cheap pump."
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I leave mine on the bike, especially if it's in a secure area when left. I did once have my pump pinched whilst my bike was parked in the racks at Loughborough station. However, the goon who nicked it had just put it on his own bike, so it was an easy job to pinch it back again!

If leaving in a public area for any length of time, I'll take it off but not otherwise.

If bagged, you have to remember to remove it from the bag and put in on your bike or in your pocket, if you go for ride without the bag. I'd rather it just stayed on the bike all the time, then it's always there when I need it.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

pyruse wrote:I've left a pump on the bike for years. Much neater there than in a bag. Bike has been parked all over the place and the pump has never been stolen.

Same here !
whoof

Post by whoof »

It depends in whether it's a full length pump or small one, if the bike has a peg or bracket or the pump is the correct length for the top tube, where a person lives and where and when you park your bike.

Personally on my touring bike I carry a road morph on the top tube, on my weekend bikes a mini morph on a holder attached to the down tube bottle cage and on my work bike I carry a mini morph in my pannier. It's in a carrier bag with tubes, levers and other tools. I've never worn a hole in the pannier. For the past five years I've also been carrying a fire wood home in the pannier every night and this hasn't worn the pannier (an Altura Arran, I think).

But if when riding I have a café stop and I can't see the bike (locked) I remove the pump and take it inside with me.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if it costs £10+ then never leave on a bike. Otherwise have pump will travel some light fingered kid will see to that.
Si

Post by Si »

I leave one on the bike and two in my bag.

On rooting around in there I also find that I have three multitools, two spanners and four p*nct*re repair kits in there.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

I have an old zefal SP4 on mine, it ain't aesthetically new (apart from the rubber valve) and it has yet to be stolen 4 years on.
PH

Post by PH »

Heltor Chasca wrote:When I see pumps on bikes I feel sorry for the designers having us lot spoil the lines of all the tubes.

It might also be said that decent designers might take the requirement to carry a pump into consideration. The preference for carrying it in a bag assumes one is always carried. I often see riders with pumps (Or CO2 devices) stuffed in pockets, not a good idea for several reasons.
Si

Post by Si »

Yep,if I'm on my Tern I leave the pump _in_ the bike.
scrumpydave

Post by scrumpydave »

Mine got nicked off the bike yesterday :(
531colin

Post by 531colin »