Ear/headphones and listening to music?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Snow

Ear/headphones and listening to music?

Post by Snow »

Back in my high school days me and a friend used to ride to school and it was pretty normal for us to use our mp3 players, though we didn't use the roads so it wasn't really an issue. Fast forward many years after college and I'm now using the roads after getting back in to cycling, my friend (a different one than the one I road to school with) some times uses his mp3 player, though he has mentioned he only uses it in one ear, which left me to question how safe it is on the road?
Vantage

Re: Ear/headphones and listening to music?

Post by Vantage »

Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

you had an mp3 player at school ? now that makes me feel old ! :D
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

For the school run this is what is on the stoker bars for my daughter's listening pleasure on my Surly Big Dummy.

https://youtu.be/zLK6uK053g8

I can hear it quite well but as it is pointing at her she gets the majority of the music. Others, to the left and right don't get an earful of our music. Clever little speaker...b
pwa

Post by pwa »

I suppose anyone with a bit of common sense can judge how well they maintain awareness of what is going on around them when listening to earphones. The bottom line is that you need to hear and be aware of stuff going on behind and to the sides, just as you would if you were not listening to music. I couldn't do it. Even in a car I find music a distraction. Others may be different.
mjr

Post by mjr »

You don't need to hear - deaf and hearing-impaired people are allowed to cycle - but you may prefer to.

It often irritates that some of the most strident anti-music preachers are people who can't hear properly while cycling because they choose to wear wide straps in front of their ears.

I usually use a speaker on the bars because there's no point putting a earphone in my bad ear and I prefer not to put one on my good ear.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you needed to hear you would never go out into a 30 mph headwind or 30 mph down a hill
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Paulatic wrote:If you needed to hear you would never go out into a 30 mph headwind or 30 mph down a hill

Don't you think that pedestrians using earphones are more likely to step out into moving traffic? I do. They can make people oblivious to what is going on around them. I'd be surprised if there is not a similar effect with cyclists. Whether earphones can be used at a volume that does not pose a problem, I don't know.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't think the hearing is a problem. Distraction can be, as can the influence on your mood of whatever you are listening to, but different people react differently to this. And of course you react to this when you're driving a car with radio/CD/mp3 etc -- even conversation.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

pwa wrote:Don't you think that pedestrians using earphones are more likely to step out into moving traffic? I do. They can make people oblivious to what is going on around them. I'd be surprised if there is not a similar effect with cyclists. Whether earphones can be used at a volume that does not pose a problem, I don't know.

I don't dispute that there are many distracted people wearing headphones any more than I would dispute the fact that people get distracted by car radios but, to flip this round, do you notice that lots of people manage to walk around with headphones without stepping in front of cars? I think it's perfectly possible to be conscientious whilst using headphones (though it isn't my personal choice).
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

The few times i have tried it I've found as soon as I get a reasonable speed up the wind noise on the earphones is horrible.

That aside, in traffic I'd rather have my hearing available. While hearing impaired cyclists may manage ok i don't really see the point in voluntarily making staying alive more difficult than it needs to be. If every road user was sensible and well behaved it wouldn't be a problem but they're not.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Stevek76 wrote:That aside, in traffic I'd rather have my hearing available. While hearing impaired cyclists may manage ok i don't really see the point in voluntarily making staying alive more difficult than it needs to be. If every road user was sensible and well behaved it wouldn't be a problem but they're not.

What he said!
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Many walkers are not listening to music, but having a mobile phone conversation. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

GrumpyGit wrote:
Stevek76 wrote:That aside, in traffic I'd rather have my hearing available. While hearing impaired cyclists may manage ok i don't really see the point in voluntarily making staying alive more difficult than it needs to be. If every road user was sensible and well behaved it wouldn't be a problem but they're not.

What he said!

I disagree.
I cycle as much in silence as I do with an 80s soundtrack to hum along too. I feel no more alert without headphones than with.
The only time its any sort of issue is if I stop to have a go at some muppit who pulled a close pass etc and they answer back...I won't hear them with Lisa Stanfield whispering sweet nothing's in my ear. But I'd rather her than the crap excuse the driver would be billowing.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

When you are punted off your bike, into the path of an HGV ... My Learned Friend will say " Distraction, lack of concentration, without due care and attention " ...
I have had to take serious avoiding action while driving to miss joggers that just jumped off the path with the " headphones of death " attached.
You need to be spatially aware when cycling ... or the Darwin syndrome will take over ....
My car has no hands free, I don't have my phone turned on when driving, the satnav and radio cannot be turned on or adjusted unless the vehicle is stationary. ....
We make choices......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.