What we are up against (again)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Heltor Chasca

What we are up against (again)

Post by Heltor Chasca »

This morning my daughter and I were almost knocked from our bike on the school run.

Driver overtook us on a blind bend whist a car was coming the other way. Usual story: she went for the soft option and forced us into the gutter. Steep hill: take note.

She parked up outside the local school so I took the opportunity to point out the illegality and stupidity of her manoeuvre.

All she could say was, we weren't wearing helmets which is illegal (!). I pointed out, that it wasn't law; wouldn't save us from being under her car; or make her drive better. Does the fact we weren't wearing lids, give her the right to try and kill us?

It degenerated into her saying she would report me for being rude. To who? (As my daughter was with me I never swore)

Turns out she teaches at the school, which gladly neither daughter attends.

Even idiots are teaching our local communities.
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 26 May 2016, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Postboxer

Re: What we are up against (again)

Post by Postboxer »

I'd be very tempted to write to the local paper with that one. She's not just letting herself down, she's letting her school down.
jollytiddlywink

Post by jollytiddlywink »

I second the suggestion about the local paper, but I'd contact the police as well. They might 'have a word' if you're lucky, or they might just take a note and stick it in an intelligence file, but either way, they'll have a record of her awful driving such that, god forbid, she do something that stupid again and actually hits someone, there will be evidence that it wasn't just a "momentary lapse" but part of a pattern of dangerous driving.

I'm glad that both you and your daughter came through unharmed.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thank you both. It felt good just to type this out into cyberspace.

When I first stopped by her window, she had her head down and was looking at her phone, so my guess is she could have been using her mobile and therefore distracted. Damn things.

I could tell my 6yod was upset. She was stoney quiet at the school gate and it's the first thing she mentioned when I picked her up this afternoon? I've explained in '6 year old speak' that what took place was illegal and the reason I raised my voice (which doesn't happen at home) was because I was scared and angry. For her and me. I can't justify why the woman was yelling at me. She took the typical route of finding a reason why 'I was wrong' rather than apologise.

Sometimes life would be simpler if people just said, 'Sorry.'

The creepiest thing was when I asked her to look at my daughter on the back of the bike and how would she feel if she had been killed. She kept just saying, 'What?' and looking straight through my daughter. Completely in denial. And she's a teacher!

I'm really beginning to hate how cars turn people into 'things they aren't' because I bet you this woman is probably a very nice person in the right environment.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Is it a primary school? If so it is quite likely that they teach road safety. A letter to the school authorities could prove very embarrassing to them.... :twisted:
karlt

Post by karlt »

Report the matter to the Headteacher.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

karlt wrote:Report the matter to the Headteacher.

plus 1 and the police.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

LollyKat wrote:Is it a primary school? If so it is quite likely that they teach road safety. A letter to the school authorities could prove very embarrassing to them.... :twisted:

Sadly the primary my oldest daughter end to. That's where she did her Bikeability course when it was still funded.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

cycleruk wrote:
karlt wrote:Report the matter to the Headteacher.

plus 1 and the police.

Yes the head would probably sit up and take note. Sadly Avon & Somerset are useless having recently seen their ineptitude when I was burgled.

Thank you...b
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

What did you hope to gain by confronting the lady?

The very best outcome is that the idiot drags you down to her level, as seem to has happened here. The worst that could happen is a knife in the stomach. Neither is a particularly cheerful outcome, so why bother?

Heltor Chasca wrote:Sadly Avon & Somerset are useless having recently seen their ineptitude when I was burgled.

They burgled your house?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
mig

Post by mig »

wouldn't the best outcome, once educated, be that they didn't do the same to someone else?
jan19

Post by jan19 »

What did you hope to gain by confronting the lady?

The very best outcome is that the idiot drags you down to her level, as seem to has happened here.

No, the best outcome is that she's actually thought about her driving. That she nearly killed someone. So she takes more care next time.

I don't suppose for a millisecond she planned to kill a 6 year old. But if I'd come that close to doing so, I know I'd run the scenario over and over again in my mind, and make absolutely sure I never, ever got that close again.

So well done for confronting her.

Jan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

^ +1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:What did you hope to gain by confronting the lady?

The very best outcome is that the idiot drags you down to her level, as seem to has happened here. The worst that could happen is a knife in the stomach. Neither is a particularly cheerful outcome, so why bother?

***Lance, the trouble is that people just look the other way and sweep issues under the carpet. I'm not about to let British politeness stand in the way of my right to stay safe on the road. As for your comment about a knife in the stomach: That's just deeply peculiar unless I'm missing something, I'll let you explain if you wish.

Heltor Chasca wrote:Sadly Avon & Somerset are useless having recently seen their ineptitude when I was burgled.

They burgled your house?

No: My work vehicle.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

I would write to the head and report it to the police, absolutely. There must be a professional code that says a teacher won't act in a way to bring the school into disrepute. Although outside the school environment the nature of what this woman did, so close to a school and involving a child must do just that. +1 for the screeching/shouting in front of a child.

Something needs to change in this country legislation wise doesn't it, all these papers like the CWIS promoting increased cycling and nothing to protect us. It would be much easier if the law was clear, and, definitively on our side.

I hope your daughter forgets her worries quickly Heltor, I know that it would take a while for our (a bit sensitive) daughter to.