Gear inches - Is 2" Difference Significant

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Gear inches - Is 2" Difference Significant

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:I'm in a minority - I've only ever used Campag Ergos & not STIs (back in the 90s I fitted 8s Ergos on my 7s Shimano geared bike) - but I've read somewhere (but can't remember where) that STIs are broader so need a bit more finger stretch even if the distance from the hood to the lever is the same as you've got more of your hand wrapped round the hoods.

Rick.

I can see the truth in that,the later STI's(8 and 9sp)are wider than Campag Ergo's.
Though the earlier RSX/RX100/105 7 & 8sp units(the one's with the allen bolt head showing at the front) were much narrower.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Decided and done now. Gone for Tiagra 4700 10sp with triple BUT with the 11-34 cassette; the configuration Shimano say is no good - they say you can only go to the 11-32 with the triple - but I wanted the 34 and excellent LBS thought it might work and worst case a bit of "chain droop" if you cross the gears stupidly (but I was happy to lose the 11 on the cassette and turn it into a 9-speed using the limit screws if necessary).

But they installed it all and on a stand showed me the completely crossed gears (both smallest cogs) and no issues (both big cogs no issues as well) - I wont bother trying it when riding but looked good on the stand. Gets me down to 23'ish gear inches.

Bit early to comment on the quality as only done a short ride and still getting used to it and the new gearing.

All fairly expensive but still a lot cheaper than a new bike.

(Reviving another old thread)

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I said that I have a 18.5" which I have used for touring up hill off road grass and steps too!
And that is near my limit of endurance.

I doubt you would tackle terrain that hard, your 23" will do fine...................it will only be your fitness that will hold you back.
Happy touring.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I said that I have a 18.5" which I have used for touring up hill off road grass and steps too!
And that is near my limit of endurance.

I doubt you would tackle terrain that hard, your 23" will do fine...................it will only be your fitness that will hold you back.
Happy touring.

I don't mind getting off an pushing - just I don't want to be getting off and pushing on every little incline.

Having spent all that money, Sods Law says that other issues will prevent me departing ....

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Always too busy to go touring, you look at the weather and think mmmm.......
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Psamathe wrote:I don't mind getting off an pushing

The standard 24" bail out gear, aka two feet.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Psamathe wrote:I don't mind getting off an pushing - just I don't want to be getting off and pushing on every little incline.

(I think two threads have been merged?)

You won't regret lowering your gears, only not lowering them a bit more. 23" should be fine (depending on where you are going and how much you are carrying - but camping usually means weight). I was in Cornwall carrying about 25 kg and "enjoying" a 17" gear but I still walked up some hills. It's only when you cannot push your bike up the hill that you need to worry (it came close)!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher