Millennium Mileposts

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
whoobub

Millennium Mileposts

Post by whoobub »

I'm trying to find information regarding the Millennium Mileposts erected to commemorate the opening of the National Cycle routes.
What I would like is some kind of definitive listing of where they are all located, possibly with coordinates for logging them on a GPS.

I have contacted Sustrans who are unable to give much information except to say that they can be found on some OS maps.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Live fast, die young, ride in between.
mel

Re:Millennium Mileposts

Post by mel »

I'm not sure if the "Millenium Mileposts" refered to are the same as the "Rowe Type Mileposts" which are shown on the online map on Sustrans website?? For example, there are 5 "Rowe Type Mileposts" shown between Rhyl and Penryhn Bay on the Route 5 Cycle Path.
silverback

Post by silverback »

Hi, Sustrans do not give out the grid refs for the millenium posts because of solving the time trail puzzle that is on them.
Hope this is of some help.
Richard.
Jeremy Parker

Post by Jeremy Parker »

I think hte mileposts were sponsored by a bank - the Royal Bank of Scotland? Perhaps they would know. Also three is some kind of competition inwhichone takes rubbings, brass rubbing style, from the milepost. Who ever organizes thar competition ought to know about the mileposts.

Jeremy Parker
mike6

Post by mike6 »

Re comment from silverback. It would be difficult to find some of the mile posts without a grid reference, as some of them are a considerable distance from any recognised cycle route.
Perhaps finding them is the challenge?
Lizb.bird

Post by Lizb.bird »

If you have the sustrans route maps then most mileposts are marked on them. However I know the milepost in my town is nowhere near the cycle route, but its at the railway station, which has a sign advertising its a sustrans rail link station. This is a laugh as you cant use the GNER trains they are to long for the station and you cant access the guards van to retrieve or deposit cycles. (sorry this is another issue)