Shared use paths - Bells ringing ignored...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
WillRod

Shared use paths - Bells ringing ignored...

Post by WillRod »

I often use a shared use path to cycle into town, it crosses a large field and generally there are no problems with walkers except the odd extending dog lead. But when I get to the park, or other green lanes through the housing estate people seem not to hear my bike bell.

My question is... what do you do if they don't hear your bike bell?
I have tried a simple "Passing on your right" and similar, but tend to get a negative reaction as if I am being rude.
My current solution is to pass at about 5-6mph, but they get spooked still and I still get the odd person telling me I should use a bell!

Do I just have to put up with it or do I get a horn?
Bez

Re: Shared use paths - Bells ringing ignored...

Post by Bez »

I just ride as if everyone were deaf and/or blind. Seems to work.

Playing card in the spokes?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was dinging away like a good-un once, and the walkers took no notice.
As I passed, they jumped out of their skins, and one said, "I wondered what the ringing noise was!"

You couldn't make it up! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Some reasonable sounding advice from the Highway Code.

'Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary'
'You should..•be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one.'

However whereas some people will thank you for ringing a bell others will think what what you are 'saying' is 'I own this path get out of my way'. I have a feeling that a great deal of these people wouldn't be happy unless you threw your bike into the canal and pledged never to cycle again. Others are so engrossed in their texting that they wouldn't hear the Band of the Royal Marines approaching.

I therefore do pretty much as stated above and if that means going from left to right to go around people then I do. I also add a cheery good morning or afternoon as I pass, regardless of what is said.
hatless

Post by hatless »

The sight of pedestrians completely oblivious of those around them, lost in thought, makes me happy. It's a precious thing, a bit of chilled out space, a few carefree minutes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Slow and pass carefully - they might be deaf, they might just be lost in thought.

They might be listening to music...

None of the above is bad.
If the path is wide enough then swoop by slowly (as you do)...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

hatless wrote:The sight of pedestrians completely oblivious of those around them, lost in thought, makes me happy. It's a precious thing, a bit of chilled out space, a few carefree minutes.

I'm like that on my bike sometimes, completely oblivious to things around me. Very relaxing.

However with pedestrians I treat them all as if they're a boobytrap sent to catch me out. So I approach having slowed down to a speed that allows me a good reaction time to get out of their way should they change direction last minute.

I also take pride in the fact I'm being a responsible cyclist with my approach to more vulnerable users of mixed use paths and other routes. I thank pedestrians who also have a good behaviour towards other users. I believe there is some benefit to my habit of reinforcing good behaviour in this way. Probably makes no difference but I still do it. Makes me feel good and certainly better than ranting at the idiots you encounter.

Pet hates include path hogging, groups moving from one side of path to the other like they're drunk, people who walk or cycle against the flow and dog owners using extendable leads. There is very little you can do about them at times.
WillRod

Post by WillRod »

I guess I am generally doing the right thing... slowing down and waiting for wider parts if they don't hear me.

I am still tempted by an air-horn :twisted: but only for the smartphone zombies!

I will probably change my bike to a lighter one and blast along the road, as a 4 mile trip into town should be about 25-30mph for me most of the way.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Whilst most peds appreciate a bicycle ring, some are surprised and behave erratically on hearing it; some are offended by it as though it was some kind of an accusation; some are not expecting it and fail to divine it's meaning; some think they have no duty to let you past and wish you to let you know that by holding you up; some think that bicycles are not permitted just here and therefore don't wish to facilitate your illegal passage; some think bicycles are an abomination in the sight of god and man and wish you to be aware of your error; some have put things in their ears; and some are physiologically deaf.

I did once encounter a large party of physiologically deaf people out for a walk on a busy purpose-built cyclepath. They were all profoundly deaf, without exception. We had to dismount before we fell off or collided with them. Even when we did establish communication with the tail-ender, all we got was "we're deaf, you know", as if this was some kind of reason for preventing the cyclists from passing you while walking on a purpose-built cyclepath. We heard "we're deaf you know" a few more times, as we slowly made our way through the crowd. It was still early in the day, and if they stayed on the cycle path they were about to meet a lot more cyclists, many of them less patient than us, so hopefully they worked something out before long.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

WillRod wrote:I am still tempted by an air-horn :twisted: but only for the smartphone zombies!

I was in Gdansk/Poland a couple of years ago and I saw a bloke who had a MASSIVE bulb horn on his bike.....It was as if he had strapped a euphonium to his handlebars...

I was desperate to see someone walk out in front of him and receive the QE2 like PAAAAAAAARPPPPP !!! In his/her lug... :lol:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Ahhh .... the ever increasing need for victimhood ..... nobody on a shared path ignores your bell, they don't hear it ..... that simple.
I ride 2 days a week on a shared path between Mexbrough and Barnsley

A couple walking and chatting. Won't hear it.
Parents with kids. Won't hear it.
If your cycling into the wind. People won't hear it. It's a physics thing.
Dog walkers. Etc.........

I have no bell on any of my bikes. I flick my brake levers, that usually works, failing that I shout "good morning" ... afternoon etc.
That works
And people move, and smile, and answer.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ring bell............ No answer

"Loud Voice"........No answer

Even louder Voice ....No answer

The Air Zound is justified
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Or....
Two chavettes with pushchairs blocking path

Ring bell

"Go away (4,3)" came the reply

Straight to Air Zound
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Sing. Like a nutter. Instantly you stop being a pesky cyclist who shouldn't be on their pavement to being something that should be given a wide berth
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Is 'Like a Nutter' to the tune of 'Like a Virgin'?