Another Cyclist Dies.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Slick

Another Cyclist Dies.

Post by Slick »

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ith-lorry/

Apparently, the driver didn't even realise that he had come into contact with a cyclist. The cyclist was filtering in heavy traffic and the driver didn't see him.

Stay safe.
mjr

Re: Another Cyclist Dies.

Post by mjr »

Welcome to Britain, cycle-tourists! :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I find it more worrying that there are 137 views and only one reply, do we just take death of a cyclist an every day occurrence ?? RIP who every you are
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I was one of the 137. I viewed the thread, had private thoughts, but chose not to make any public comment. I'm not sure why that might be a cause for worry.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

I agree, what relevance has making a public comment got to do with anything? So 500 people see something in the news, think about what they have seen and carry on with their lives
We can all privately sympathise with someone else's misfortune, but, we will probably never know the exact circumstances, so is there a need to comment
A neighbour of mine falls off a ladder and dies! Do I start a thread on the joys/perils of using ladders?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

yakdiver wrote: do we just take death of a cyclist an every day occurrence ??

Er, yes - we do.

We have been conditioned to regard driving as normal and safe, and to see cycling as weird and dangerous.

The number one thing that would help make cycling safer? It's not helmets or hi-viz. it's not even better education or presumed liability. Isegregated infrastructure would be nice, but it's expensive. You want a free way to make cycling safer? ncrease the number of people cycling tenfold. But that means dragging them kicking and screaming out of their cars.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard D wrote:The number one thing that would help make cycling safer? It's not helmets or hi-viz. it's not even better education or presumed liability. Isegregated infrastructure would be nice, but it's expensive. You want a free way to make cycling safer? ncrease the number of people cycling tenfold. But that means dragging them kicking and screaming out of their cars.

The trouble is that it's circular. Even if that's the number one thing, it's not going to be easy to do, else it would have happened already. So many other things (education, guidance and law changes, infrastructure, community organising, cycling incentives, motoring punishments and so on) all seem good things to do too... almost anything except for suggesting that cyclists could be helped by stuff that isn't designed to help in vehicular collisions or that these deaths were inevitable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Slick

Post by Slick »

I know not everyone wants to read about such things, but I think it's important for us all to know what's happening out there.

Stay safe.
Slick

Post by Slick »

toomsie

Post by toomsie »

I wasn't happy cycling until I understood and trust some statistics. The problem is there are probably millions of cyclists. I cannot visualize how many there are.

But I can visualize how many Boris bikes their are in London. I see loads of Boris Bikes docking stations in London.
However, there has only been one Boris Bike fatality so far. This is considering that many Boris bikers
are newbies and parts of London is hectic( been there myself). To many new Boris Bikers going down too many
unfamiliar roads. This all tells me that the fatality risks are extremely low. However, I cannot comfort you about
the risk of serious injury.