Page 1 of 13

Crimewatch presenter and keen cyclist Jeremy Vine posts video of angry driver threatening to knock him out

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 6:17pm
by Philip Benstead
Crimewatch presenter and keen cyclist Jeremy Vine posts video of angry driver threatening to knock him out

Do we know who this women is?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... -video-of/

Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 6:48pm
by Flinders

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 7:02pm
by MikeF
Facebook video here.
Words fail me. Just what was she going to gain by passing him anyway? Her behaviour makes me wonder if she had taken drugs :wink:

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 7:18pm
by Flinders
MikeF wrote:Facebook video here.
Words fail me. Just what was she going to gain by passing him anyway? Her behaviour makes me wonder if she had taken drugs :wink:

I couldn't work out exactly what led up to it.
But anyone so out of control ought not to be driving.

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 7:22pm
by Flinders
MikeF wrote:Facebook video here.
Words fail me. Just what was she going to gain by passing him anyway? Her behaviour makes me wonder if she had taken drugs :wink:


Ah, I see from that what happened- it's clearer on that link than on mine.
I hope the Police take it up. If they don't, I can't see what use they are.

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 7:55pm
by MikeF
The DVLA website is showing the vehicle as untaxed.
MT56ECJ.png

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 8:02pm
by bovlomov
Flinders wrote:Ah, I see from that what happened- it's clearer on that link than on mine.
I hope the Police take it up. If they don't, I can't see what use they are.

I made the point, on a different thread (different subject) that this sort of thing wouldn't usually be described as a 'hate crime', because cyclists aren't a recognised victim group.Yet, for a number of reasons, it seems to be a lot more serious than many incidents described as hate crimes.
1) It happened in real life rather than on social media
2) there were repeated threats of violence and, allegedly, actual violence
3) the victim may have been targeted not solely for being in the way but because of the woman's views about cyclists in general. I dunno - it's just a hunch.

I don't think there should be a specific offence of 'hate crime', but if there is then surely this should count as one.

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 8:13pm
by Slick
Jeremny goes up a bit in my estimation. I think he handled it pretty well.

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 9:40pm
by johnmac
Is this what it's like in London? I've looked at the comments sections below articles about this on a few news websites and it's scary how many people have sympathy for the woman and suggest that JV was hogging the road. A lot of education is required and this can only help.

She needs to be taken off the road before she kills someone.

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 9:49pm
by thirdcrank
On the subject of cyclists as the targets of hate crime:-

Unlike membership of other minorities (not in the numeric sense but as groups vulnerable to abuse and violence) for most cyclists, being a cyclist is voluntary. I suppose sexual orientation can be hidden but generally, members of minorities can only accept it or try to fight it. Cyclists have the additional option of quitting and potential cyclists can observe what's going on and decide not to bother. Any sort of national policy to promote cycling that ignores this will founder, IMO.

This nastiness and bullying is in addition to the dangers on roads where increasingly, anything goes.

Unfortunately, there's been a view in certain quarters that that nothing must be done to suggest that it's not all roses, for fear of deterring potential cyclists, as though they are too stupid to see for themselves what's happening. It's rare for a thread on this type of subject to get beyond the first few posts before somebody chimes in that it never happens to them so the people on the receiving end must be asking for it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS

To Jeremy Vine if you are reading this: Make sure the police serve a notice of intended prosecution in a timely manner.

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 10:00pm
by Mike Sales
johnmac wrote:Is this what it's like in London? I've looked at the comments sections below articles about this on a few news websites and it's scary how many people have sympathy for the woman and suggest that JV was hogging the road. A lot of education is required and this can only help.

She needs to be taken off the road before she kills someone.


When a motorist looks at this video they see a cyclist blocking the car. They don't notice that the road is choked with parked cars on both sides. Even empty cars have automatic priority over cyclists.
The danger of being knocked off by an opening car door is even further from their thoughts.

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 10:04pm
by mercalia
bovlomov wrote:
Flinders wrote:Ah, I see from that what happened- it's clearer on that link than on mine.
I hope the Police take it up. If they don't, I can't see what use they are.

I made the point, on a different thread (different subject) that this sort of thing wouldn't usually be described as a 'hate crime', because cyclists aren't a recognised victim group.Yet, for a number of reasons, it seems to be a lot more serious than many incidents described as hate crimes.
1) It happened in real life rather than on social media
2) there were repeated threats of violence and, allegedly, actual violence
3) the victim may have been targeted not solely for being in the way but because of the woman's views about cyclists in general. I dunno - it's just a hunch.

I don't think there should be a specific offence of 'hate crime', but if there is then surely this should count as one.


I wonder if it would be in Notts? where staring at a woman is?

I have found most drivers in London ok Hope I dont ever come across that specimen of an amoeba

dont know why she is complaining, that width of road would mean that a cyclist speed the only safe speed, no more than 20 mph or less. I would have stayed in the middle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37223235

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 10:28pm
by bovlomov
mercalia wrote:I wonder if it would be in Notts? where staring at a woman is?

Perhaps Vine will be arrested for the hate crime of calling the woman 'dear' and filming her.

I have found most drivers in London ok

So have I.

But to make a xenophobic point, there are some areas of London where it feels as though the immigrant communities have imported their own local driving habits and (ahem...) quirks. Aaagh!!! Another hate crime!!

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 10:31pm
by Bonefishblues
I had a not so silent chuckle when the Telegraph video was interrupted by an advertisement for the Vauxhall Corsa - exactly what the crazy lady was driving! Someone hasn't thought about that (and I do know it's a bot somewhere :D )

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 11:06pm
by meic
MikeF wrote:The DVLA website is showing the vehicle as untaxed.
MT56ECJ.png


I was wondering how the tax could be due on the 28th of June, then realised it must have transferred keeper on that date making it liable from a date other than the end of the month.
So the owner/keeper has never taxed it and probably will not be easy to find either.

At least I didnt hear her say "You dont pay Roadtax". :lol: :mrgreen: