Cycling abroad and the Warranty system

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Re: Cycling abroad and the Warranty system

Post by horizon »

I think we have duplicate threads running:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109626
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

Adam S wrote:
You have much stronger statutory rights with regard to the retailer. In law they, not the manufacturer, are responsible for the quality of the goods they have sold. As your wheel lasted only a very short distance, it was clearly not of a satisfactory quality. I suggest you contact the retailer and see if they will do anything to reimburse you. Having said that they are not required to meet the costs of you having it repaired by a third party.

On the other thread(s) I've asked the OP to clarify how he bought it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
meic

Re: Dawes Karakum - problems and advice sought on resolution

Post by meic »

Looking through the specifications, I found no weight limits but I found some claiming 36 spoke rear wheels and others claiming 32 spokes, which is yours?
It also said 14g stainless steel spokes, which should be good enough components.

On one hand if the manufacturer sells it as a touring bike with strong wheels they should last longer than that. On the other hand if a 32 spoke machine made wheel on a £700 bike can do the business, why do the rest of us waste our money on hand built 36 spoke wheels, like the one the German bike shop supplied you with?
Yma o Hyd
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

Thanks Horizon, I hadn't spotted the other thread. Can the threads be merged? What I've said holds true for any goods bought from a retailer (physical or online). If bought second hand, from a private individual, or at auction most of the above won't apply. Manufacturers' warranties are almost always restricted to the original purchaser buying retail.
horizon

Re: Dawes Karakum - problems and advice sought on resolution

Post by horizon »

meic wrote:On one hand if the manufacturer sells it as a touring bike with strong wheels they should last longer than that. On the other hand if a 32 spoke machine made wheel on a £700 bike can do the business, why do the rest of us waste our money on hand built 36 spoke wheels, like the one the German bike shop supplied you with?

Given it's a touring/trekking bike, it should have done the business. But we know that bikes cost more than this for a reason - a good set of wheels will be a third of the cost of this bike. I am sure there are lots of people who have done amazing things on such bikes but occasionally there will be a lemon and it will usually be the wheels. My advice to the OP is to go cap in hand to the retailer and discuss it (maybe get a goodwill payment). Some folk on here would probably have recommended rebuilding the wheels just to be sure. I would say to the OP, put it down to (valuable) experience. Pages and pages of this forum are devoted to discussing how best to achieve wheel reliability - Dawes would not be their starting point but the issue is already resolved with a better rear wheel. So goodbye Dawes and all the legal stuff, hello next amazing adventure.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's entirely up to the retailer to sort this out not Dawes. It's a bike sold as a tourer and failed whilst touring. You were miles away from where you bought so had to get a local repair. The supplying dealer is obliged to compensate you for this as well as the duff BB as, by law, they must supply goods fit for purpose . Clearly this was a bike supplied for long tours* and clearly this particular machine was unfit for that purpose as supplied.

* Dawes say " Distinctive because of its butterfly handlebars it offers unrivaled comfort with multi riding positions on those long tours." http://dawescycles.com/dawes/karakum-gents/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Wont be the first time Dawes sold a bike with unsuitable wheels? The Dawes 1-Down was sold with narrow ( 17mm) light weight Mavic single eyeletted 138 I think was the number rims. After not much use the spokes started to pull the rim apart with cracks around the eyelets and at one or two places much worse, but since the bike had not been used much and was unnoticed was long out of warranty. Maybe Dawes should sell their "decent" bikes without wheels :lol:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Lat bike I bought the shop supplied the frame I wanted and hand-built the wheels as part of the job, and they did that and some other changes within the RRP of the bike as a standard job lot complete from anywhere else, only going over the RRP because I had a few other bits and bobs above the basic specs. That's another reason I tend to go to a good local shop rather than buy on the internet- you can tweak things to suit you.